• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Opinions Wanted

Started by Carolina Coyote, January 17, 2011, 02:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

I would like to get some opinions on the Wildlife Technologies Game Caller versus FoxPro, if you had a choice Which one would you buy? cc

KySongDog

I don't own either one of them. I have a Minaska Bandit.   But this is what I know of them.

The WT has excellent sounds and volume but you can not load your own sounds.  If you want new ones you have to send the caller back to WT and pay for them.

The Foxpro callers are good units for the most part and you can load your own sounds.  They are much more flexible.  Also the remote on the Foxpro allows many more options.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Foxpro.

This topic is sure to generate lots of debate and opinions.   :eyebrownod:

FinsnFur

If I had a choice? .....between those two?  Wildlife Technologies

I despise the Dillons :puke:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

linemansteve

In the 200.00 dollar range I believe the foxpro Spitfire is a good buy. Mine has worked well. Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

THO Game Calls

I think any e caller that uses the TOA speaker or equivalent will work better than any e caller that doesn't.  Personal opinion.

That list is short, with the WT, the Foxro CS24 and the Minaska Big country, there may be others but I have not kept up on it since getting a WT.  There really isn't any need too.    Of course adding a TOA speaker as an external speaker to a caller will help immensely.  FoxPro also has some external speakers that are touted to be very good.   

All of FoxPro's and Minaska's callers save the CS24 and Big Country are simply limited by the speakers.   Yes I own a FoxPro, have owned a Minaska, and now own a WT, and have compared the three side by side.   My statement is based on personal experience.  My old Minaska Bandit came alive with the addition of the TOA speaker, and adding external speakers to the FoxPro has made it a much better caller, again personal opinion.

I prefer live animal sounds in an e caller.  I can do hand calls myself, though some of the sounds FoxPro uses that Cal Taylor recorded are very very good.   All of the WT sounds are real animal sounds, and are very good.  The controversy that some have been chopped up and renamed to represent different animals to expand the sound library may be true, but the bottom line is that the WT sound library is the top of the line and they just work better than anything else I have used, including old Johnny Stewart CD sounds of real animals.   Again, personal opinion, based on hearing and using FP, Minaska and WT.

The features of the new FoxPro remote are the best in the industry.   Minaska's seems very easy to use as is the WT, though neither are as feature packed.    A wise old caller once quipped  "do you want to be a coyote caller or a DJ?"    I think this may be a valid question.   How many sounds do you need to change on a 15 to 20 minute stand?   Simple is better for my style of calling.   Turn it on, let it play, sit still and keep my eyes open works better than fooling with a remote, though again, the FoxPro remote is kind of neat from a geek/technology perspective, and they do keep adding features that on the surface seem very useful.  FoxBang is an innovative idea for example.   

Volume is superb on the WT callers.   Far out classing the others save for the Big Country and CS24, though I bet the WT is louder based solely on the size of the amp in the WT.  (I have never heard either the Big Country or the CS24) You must understand that the WT philosophy is that volume makes the coyote believe the prey, or other coyote is closer than it really is and increases the aggressiveness of the animal.   In my experience, the coyote vocalizations on the WT more often than not invoke a very aggressive approach.   I do often wonder how many subordinate animals it scares away though? 

To sum up:

The WT has better sounds, is louder, and clearer than other callers in it's price range.

The FoxPro has a great remote, and with the addition of an external speaker is a fine unit though the sound library cannot compare to the WT.

Minask is the same as FoxPro with a less featured but very easy to use remote and a weaker sound library.

When I first started using e callers, and coyote hunting in general, I wanted to be able to make my own sound tracks, change things up, have tons of different sounds to change too and on and on.   It seems the more you think you know, the less you really do.   Today, I am content to have a caller with 5 or 6 sounds that work consistently.   The WT will give you that and more.   From using callers from the "big three" my experience is that the WT performs better on our North Eastern coyotes than the others.   I would recommend it over the others for eastern callers.   They are all good machines, all will call coyotes, but in my experience the WT is the top of the class followed closely by the CS24 and the Big Country, with the sound library giving the clear edge to the WT.   

Al @ THO

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Hidehunter

Dont think you will get any better or clearer answer than that.  You answered some questions that I had been wondering for a while.
Denver                                           

Carolina Coyote

Thank all of you for replying, some very good points to consider for both brands, I have been looking to buy a E-Caller for myself but some of the guys in my hunt club wanted me to pick out a call for the club and they would pitch in on the cost which changed my perspective on which caller to chose and give me some leeway on the cost, now it is a matter of getting the best bangs for the bucks. Again I want to thank everyone for their reply, they will be very helpful.  :bowingsmilie: cc

securpro

I have used both and while I think the WT is an awsome call I prefer my Fx5 Fox Pro because I can make my own calls and upload them to the caller. While the Dillons are not my favorite people I think they have the best products. jmo.
I also like the Minaska Bandit but same deal as WT.

Joe
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Rich

"The FoxPro has a great remote, and with the addition of an external speaker is a fine unit though the sound library cannot compare to the WT."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
That statement is no longer true. The WT sounds are great, but since the recent addition of Cal Taylor's recordings, WT has nothing over on FoxPro. Nothing.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Carolina Coyote

Rich, Are Cal Tayler's sounds real live animals? cc

pitw

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on January 20, 2011, 05:59:47 PM

Boy do they got to be itty bitty's, eh.
I say what I think not think what I say.

securpro

Yes they are real animals, and you can use the WT calls on your FoxPro as same as any mp3.

(L) You can even put AC/DC Highway to hell on her ifn ya want to.... :yoyo: :yoyo:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

FinsnFur

I thought Foxpro used an fx or fxp extension making it exclusive to their machines only :confused:

And you reminded me of a funny story securepro. I had Hwy to hell on an FX3 I used to own and one day blasted it off of the side of a ridge onto some duck hunters below that wouldn't stop answering my howls with duck calls. :alscalls:
I could some laughing and some cussing all the way up the ridge :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I use Minaska's Crumblin Coon sounds on my FX3.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

THO Game Calls

QuoteThat statement is no longer true. The WT sounds are great, but since the recent addition of Cal Taylor's recordings, WT has nothing over on FoxPro. Nothing.

Sorry to hear about your hearing loss Mr. Cronk.   

KySongDog

In the interest of full disclosure and for those who may not know, Rich Cronk is a member of Foxpro's Field Staff.   

Rich

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on January 20, 2011, 05:59:47 PM

Yes, live animal recordings that work.
Foxpro Field staff

Rich

Quote from: THO Game Calls on January 21, 2011, 05:21:02 PM
QuoteThat statement is no longer true. The WT sounds are great, but since the recent addition of Cal Taylor's recordings, WT has nothing over on FoxPro. Nothing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry that you are still drinking the Martz Koolaide  T. H. O   :innocentwhistle:
Foxpro Field staff

Okanagan

Quote from: Rich on January 22, 2011, 10:16:04 AM
Quote from: THO Game Calls on January 21, 2011, 05:21:02 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry that you are still drinking the Martz Koolaide  T. H. O   :innocentwhistle:

:alscalls:  I'd take Martz koolaide over the Dillon... sewage.

With the CS24 it appears that Foxpro has finally caught up with competitors, maybe passed them in some ways, though I have not heard its sound.   Until now FoxPro has been the McDonald's of predator calls, not the best place to go for dinner (or an e-call) but the best company in its field to invest money in.  The competition among e-call makers has been fabulous for consumers.

A typical FP owner post:

Golly I just LOVE my Foxpro.  I salivate all over myself just thinking about it.  I have to hold the remote just right to get it to work past 50 feet, and it scrolls too far, or shuts itself off, but it is a WONDERFUL e-caller that has fulfilled my deepest longings.  And FoxPro customer service is WONDERFUL.  I have sent my Foxpro in five times and they fixed it every time.  It still doesn't work but their customer service is fabulous.   Anyone who doesn't buy a FoxPro is an execrable idiot who should be banned for thinking bad thoughts about FoxPro.  Have I told you how much I love my FoxPro?

The Dillons, the FoxPro Mafia (silently encouraged by Dillons) and most important, the features of the calls themselves are the reasons I don't own a FoxPro.  If I ever buy one, the first two reasons are why I would have to hold my nose to purchase.   Many folks don't have the history with FP and I've no problem with anyone who buys and uses their stuff as long as they don't join the FoxPro Cult!

THO Game Calls

Mr. Cronk

If you read my post, you will see that I posted what were my opinions based on having used or owned a WT, FP and Minaska, and after having hunted over each of them.   

I also stated that since buying a WT I have not kept up with the E caller business or the sounds as there was no need too.  In short sir, I have a machine that works quite well and that I am happy with.   

I did not come here looking for a fight, or to bash any company or person.  I expressed an opinion based on personal experience and tried to be as honest as I could.   

Please forgive the post about your hearing loss.   It was said in jest to a fine gentleman and apparently was taken wrong.

I apologize. 

AL Woodard
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
www.thogamecallsforums.com
The On Line Resources for Custom Call Makers. 

Edited to correct grammar.