• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Back from Africa

Started by FOsteology, July 10, 2011, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverboss

Hey Fos what did that thing weight? He looks awfull big.

Dave

Welcome back Fos.  I was wondering how you two made out over there, and am glad to see this post. 
You cut his track at 11pm on day 7 - gotta tell us about that, how do you go about looking for sign at that time? - must've been an exciting hunt. 
Can't wait to hear more on your entire trip. 
BTW, with that skull your cabinet has evolved to a furio cabinet

FOsteology

No scale in camp, so we can only make a guesstimate of 160lbs plus/minus a few pounds.

PH and his tracker stated the tracks and stride left by this cat was a little bigger and longer than any other cats they've hunted thus far. To say they were extremely excited while after this cat would be an understatement.

This cat brings their record to 62 and 100% success rate. They've taken a few cats that weighed an honest 180+

My cat had alot of loose skin. Game density has taken a hit the past couple years due to increased poaching. Hyena's and wild dogs have been putting a hurt on the game as well.
Based on the amount of loose skin, my PH stated he was confident if this cat had been eating properly, he would likely tip the scale in the 180 mark.

We attempted to call in hyena's with hand calls one night (I brought some of HuntnCarves hand calls to Africa  :biggrin: ). They came in..... but hung up in the thick mopane brush. Couldn't get a shot unfortunately. Having them respond to the calls, and come in with their eery whoops and "laughs" was creepy and unsettling! 

FOsteology

We hunted with hounds.

Initially we scout out the various "roads" that the guys created by burning brush and grass. The area is quite sandy and rocky.

Once a fresh track of a suitable male is found, we decide where to hang baits close by for him to find. Then, we go kill some Impala for bait. I also killed a Zebra, which made 6 baits.
Once hung, we get up at 3am each morning to go check baits. A tracker sits on the bonnet while we drive to the bait sights, as he can spot tracks in the sandy road on the way.

If we find a bait that has been fed on, and the tracks are of a mature Tom, we turn loose the hound. When she gets hot on the leopards trail, then the other hounds are released.
Unfortunately, we had no mature male leopards hit our baits!

On day 7 it was decided to work around the clock. That night while driving along a sandy stretch by a large kopje, the tracker spotted a track. We stopped, jumped out and followed it to see where it lead. Dogs were put on the track..... but Mr. Spots was always allusive and a few steps ahead.

I think the hound was nervous and uncomfortable tracking the cat at night as she appeared hesitant and uncooperative. With the aid of flash lights, the PH and trackers managed to keep us on the leopards spoor. When daylight arrived (a bit after 6am) you could discern a noticeable difference in the scent hounds "attitude" as she gained her confidence and began to eagerly track the leopard. A few minutes after 9am the rest of the pack was released.

The Tom climbed several trees, and went up a couple kopje's to elude the dogs.... and finally climbed a large musasa tree. His luck ran out shortly after.  :biggrin:

Here's some pictures to give you an idea of the type of terrain we hunted in:

riverboss

WOW!!! That is some beautiful country thanks for sharing your pictures and storys with us. :highclap:

HaMeR

That's a far sight more rugged than they show on TV!! And waaaay more beautiful!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

They let you shoot a Zebra for bait? :huh: Holy crap.
I hope you kept the hide.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

A few pictures of the animals taken during our hunts.

Cape Kudu     June 18th Tarkastad Mountains RSA

Cape Bushbuck     June 21st Bedford RSA

Blesbok     June 21st Adelaide RSA

Common Reedbuck     June 22nd Kokstad RSA

Greater Kudu     June 23rd Umkomaas RSA

Nyala     June 24th Umkomaas RSA

Red Lechwe     June16 Baviaans RSA

Warthog     June 28th Ladi Zimbabwe

coyote101

That is one happy looking young man!  :biggrin: :biggrin: You're going to have to ID those critters FOs, we don't see many of them around here.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

Pat

Thank you.
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

possumal

Dang, Fos, a lot of that country looks like lion country in Arizona, or I should say pictures I have seen of it.  That is a real pile of critters.  The warthog wins the ugly contest; the prettiest animal will be harder to pick.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HaMeR

Thanks for sharing FOs & Aaron!! Those are some darn nice critters you fellas harvested!! Congratulations on all of them!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Were all of those trophies taken with the 7X57 and .308?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Nice!...very nice. :yoyo:
I was expecting a Zula too though :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

shaddragger

:yoyo: :congrats: AWESOME story and photos, FOs! Congrats on a very succesful trip!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Dave

Really enjoyed looking at all those pics! Looks like 250 Sav had an awesome time.  Did he shoot that warthog?

iahntr

Wow, that would be quite the trip !!
Congrats !       :congrats: :congrats:
Scott

KySongDog

Wow!   That's quite the trip.  Do you have to have a tag, etc. for each of those?  Or can you shoot what you want when you want?

You might want to hide your taxidermy bill from SWMBO.   :laf:

George Ackley

fos, glad you could do this with your son . congrats on all the critter and the cat is a dream for most but i think your best trophy there is the smiles on the boys face .

Proud to say i know you buddyboy

Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

FOsteology

Quote from: coyote101 on July 12, 2011, 07:37:52 PM
Were all of those trophies taken with the 7X57 and .308?

Yes.

I used my Kimber 84M Classic .308 shooting Federal HE 180gr. Nosler Partitions.

Leopard, Red Lechwe, Greater Kudu, Nyala, and Warthog.

I also shot a handful of Impala for bait, as well as a Zebra mare. I retained the hide for a rug.

250Savage used his Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight 7x57mm Mauser with hand-loaded 175gr. Nosler Partitions.

Cape Kudu, Common Reedbuck, Bushbuck, and Blesbok.

He had an opportunity to shoot Mtn. Reedbuck..... but developed "buck fever". In fact, on several animals we put him in front of the first few days..... he couldn't move his trigger finger. He was shaking pretty bad!  :eyebrownod:

He shot a duiker (extremely small antelope) through the ear! Damn thing rolled around for a few seconds, then jumped up and ran for the mountains! We both lobbed some lead after him, but he was much too fast and small for us off hand at distance!

FOsteology

Quote from: George Ackley on July 13, 2011, 07:48:10 AM
i think your best trophy there is the smiles on the boys face .

You're right!