• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

tree stand hunters

Started by browning204, September 13, 2007, 08:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

Just scored myself a Brand new summit Viper SS for $200

I have a couple of questions.

I know practice makes perfect but how long does it take to set up and climb up/down a tree?

About how high does one want to climb.

I will be using this for coyote hunting also so I want to plan my stands well.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

FinsnFur

:confused: At first I had to ask myself what a Summit Viper SS was......I mean yeah sounds like a tree stand but.

Now that I see what they are, which one did you get? Because Summit's site has several models listed, all for what appears to be less then $150  :shck:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

DirtyDog

It doesn't take too long with some practice.

I try to get about 20-30 ft high to keep your scent up.

I love stand hunting from my Tree Lounge.  :biggrin:

KySongDog

I have had several different brands of tree stands over the years.  The most comfortable one (you can actually sleep in it) was the Tree Lounge.  It takes a little more time to set up but worth it I think.  I usually hunt at least 20 feet off the ground.  30 feet is better especially while gun hunting.

Semp

DirtyDog

Especially if you have the padded nest and steep angle pad.  :eyebrow:

browning204

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 13, 2007, 09:03:15 PM
:confused: At first I had to ask myself what a Summit Viper SS was......I mean yeah sounds like a tree stand but.

Now that I see what they are, which one did you get? Because Summit's site has several models listed, all for what appears to be less then $150  :shck:

http://www.summitstands.com/catalog.aspx?catid=viper

cheapes I could find it was $250 dealer cost.

iahntr

We don't use many climbers around here, not as many trees that work well with them. I have several stands that stay up all the time, and just get checked real well yearly. The main use for them is for deer archery, they get used some one or two weekends a year during deer shotgun season, and I do some calling out of them also. Most all of my stands are up 16 ft high.
Scott

bowjunkie

never hunted from one meself but it looks comfy  :biggrin:

I'm lookin at a portable tower for coyotehuntin nites out here cabelas has one just pricey

browning204

yes I do hope it is comfy, I hear the trick in the east is getting up off the ground to increase visibilty.

But as we all know, we don't have the coyote #'s here in the East as in other places. So I am to assume if I shoot one then I should climb down and move to a new spot.

I don't think I can sit up there for hours and just keep sniping coyotes.

canine

It'll take ya a little while to get used to it. Just Make sure you keep the 2 parts tied together. If you drop the bottom your screwed.

I have an API bowhunter, I can set it up and climb to 25 feet in less than 5 minutes. That's in the pitch dark too. You'll see, after so many times it'll become natural.

Have fun!!

JD

THO Game Calls

When I got tired of my hang on stands being stolen, I went to a summit climber.  

I can make a couple suggestion for you.

First, always wear your safety harness.   The first thing you do before you even attach your stand to the tree is put on your harness.  

Always tie your stand parts together before you go up the tree.

I normally go anywhere from 12 to 15 feet while coyote hunting. The rules dont change just because you are up in a tree. They still try to come in down wind, so plan your stands that way.

Keep in mind that in rolling hill country, you may be 15 feet off the ground, or more, but you may be directly in the line of site of an approaching coyote if he is on top of a hill.  In more open areas, the further you are from where the coyote will first approach from, the closer to eye level you are to him also. Movement is still key.

You want good camo in a tree stand just like you do on the ground.   The mossy oaks and other dark brands wont serve you well.  I like Predator Camo with it's large open areas.   ASAT is also good.   In the late fall and winter here, Predator Fall Gray can not be beat in my experience.  A cover all suit will run you 100 bucks and last for years.

If you plan to hunt out of your stand in the late fall and winter, you might want to pick up a Welcome Mat at the store, and cut it to fit the strips on the bottom of your stand. Attach the strips you cut with House Hold Goop to the slats on the platform You will need to let the stand sit out side for at least a week to get rid of the smell, but the goop will hold the strips on forever.   If you dont do this, the metal stand will make your feet cold. The strips insulate it for you.

Setting up a stand makes noise.  So plan to take your time and be as quiet as possible.  Once you get used to it, you can be attached and up a tree in less than 5 to 10 minutes.

Be very careful with smooth barked trees in the rain or in sub zero temps.  Your stand could slip.  

Use a haul rope for your gun and other gear.  Always unload your gun before you start your climb up. Load it once you are situated in the stand.  

A tree stand belt is nice to hang your gear on, but always leave your haul rope attached to your pack if you use one. Climbing down to get your pack is a pain.  

The large camo pouches they sell at WalMart can be attached to the side rails of your stand with some Zip Ties and will hold a lot of stuff.   Much cheaper than the pouches Summit sells.

Summit uses a rope with a pursic knot to attach your harness to the tree.  Always check that rope for wear, and I like to replace mine every season.  They cost about 10 bucks.

It's wise to keep your rope as short as you can.  If you fall, getting back in your stand is going to be the key.  If you hang there for any length of time, you might pass out from constriction of the harness around your body.

Finally, put a whistle in your shirt pocket.  If you fall and can't get back in your stand, it is great to be able to have a signalling device to alert others that it is time to come to your rescue.  

I can say that if you hunt out of your stand, you will see twice as many coyotes up here as you normally do, and will get many more opportunities to shoot just because you can see them coming from a further distance.  With your WT caller, you should be a coyote killing machine this season.

Good luck

Al

One last thing, Don't hunt out of your stand during the deer season.   People will look at you in your stand through the scope of their rifles.  If it happens, whatever you do, do not holler or startle them until they take the rifle off their shoulder.  You dont want some nut pulling the trigger out of reflex because you startled him and you can be assured they dont even know what a safety is.
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

browning204

Al, as always good advice.

I was thinking on getting something to put on the base for insulation. I just need to see if I can put that thing on my back along with my caller and gun without my skinny butt tipping over!!!

I hope this is the key to at least seeing more critters, all the guys "in the know" here in the east seem to think that getting up is key.

I don't have any trees in my yard to practice on, I will have to go to my parents house in Derry to practice!

Did I here you have a WT now???

Hey, I am in Bedford now, not to far from you. if you go outta your street and go right, go to the TDbanknorth and go right, I am down there. This place is skunk hunting heaven!!

oh ya, if I shoot one outta the tree stand, should I then move or stay up since they will be less likely to bust me?

THO Game Calls

Bring your stand over and i will show you how to attach your pack to the back of the stand for packing in.

You can also see how I put the strips and pouches on my stand. 

Mine is a Cobra, with the open front for bow hunting.   But you will love your stand once you get used to it.  They are very comfortable and stable. 

If weight is a concern, summit stands are modular.  You can buy a smaller climbing part that will work with your platform for about 75 bucks.   

browning204

ok, getting out right now to do stuff is hard. I gotta bring the baby with me. Which is totally cool but when I am not working Krysten is.

After the second baby comes in January, she will get a job working nights so My days off will be free up.

Thats why I am buying all this crap now!!!

Nelson

Browning 204,

+ 1 to what Al said about the safety rope with the prussic knot.  Even though it may take you a little longer to go up and down, you will stay attached to the tree at all times.  The extra time you spend being safe is a small sacrifice to prevent being in the hospital or paralized the rest of your life.  Good hunting.

Nelson

studabaka

I got a summit stand this year and have been happy with it so far. It is easy to set up and climb with once you do it a few times..... using the safety harness is a must and becomes a natural part of the process quickly. There is a small noise factor setting up. Like Al said, take your time. I'm thinking I may give a little longer 'quiet down' time at the beginning of a stand for yotes because of this, but I haven't used it for them yet.

Oh...... when you set the loops for around the tree, set them for the diameter for where you'll be positioned at the top or you may find your platform is sloping down away from the tree. You will quickly get to the point where the hardest part is the carrying in, unpacking and packing.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Greenside

I'll be going to the hospital this afternoon to visit one of my good friends. He had a little mental lapse while putting up a tree stand last Saturday. One careless second and now he has two stainless steel rods in his leg and nine screws in his ankle and heel   :readthis:  Be very careful up there!l

browning204

so what do you guys do with your safety harness and stuff while in transport??

Do you guys climb with your weapons or pull them up later?

THO Game Calls

Go back and read my 1st post -

You NEVER EVER climb with a weapon.   Attach a haul line and pull the gun up after you are in the tree and where you want to be height wise.  MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED - and that does not mean it has rounds in the mag or one in the chamber with the safety on.  Load up once you are situated and have everything ready to go.  You dont want to drop a loaded gun out of your tree stand.  (by the way - I heard that they were going to start cracking down on people heading out to their stands with loaded guns before legal shooting time this year)

I normally put my harness on at the truck and wear it in.  They are not constricting and you wont even notice you have it on.  Just tighten it up when you are ready to climb.   

Al

studabaka

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff