• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

tree stand hunters

Started by browning204, September 13, 2007, 08:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbomb

My 19 year old brother in law fell sunday. Shattered T 12 and cracked T11. He has surgery on wednesday and if everything goes well will be comeing home today. The doc said if he does exactly like he says for 3 months he will have 95-98 % mobility back but if he screws up all bets are off. He didnt have a harness on while hanging a new stand and fell flat on his back from 30 plus feet.

DirtyDog

Ouch, that hurts just thinking about it.

Thoughts and prayers sent my freind.

THO Game Calls

You know, the safest way I ever found to hang a stand was to have someone esle do it.

If you can't get a buddy to risk life and limb for you, the second safest way I have ever found to hang a stand is from a climbing stand.   Climb up, then haul the hang on stand up and attach it.   Then climb down.   More work, but a whole lot safer. 

The easiest way I have ever found to take a hang on stand down is the way the thieves do it here.   Chain saw the tree down and just carry away the stand. 

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

FinsnFur

Cut the tree down and taker all   :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

DirtyDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 15, 2007, 01:13:51 PM
Cut the tree down and taker all   :roflmao:

Hey..... that might not be a half bad business decision.  :eyebrow:

Troy Walter

They are a nice stand i got a summit last year. You should take your stand and your safety harness out in your yard and find a tree and practice going up and down it takes a little bit getting use to using a climber.And always be safe I hang around 25 fixed stands every season.Summit seat of the pants safety harness and the fall restraint ropes and the lines man rope are the way to go.

browning204

so I went out to try my new stand and I got one thing to say about it, FORGET THAT!!

What a pain in the A$$.

first of all, it is a pain to keep moving the safety rope up, the base it fine to use but the top kept sliding down and it all was way to unstable.

I got 5 feet off the ground then I gave up.

way to much work for what it is worth!!!!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

Jrbhunter

Well come on then Leto... whatta take for it?   I could always use a 4th one.

THO Game Calls

He's not going to sell it.  He is going to spend a couple hours with someosne who knows how to use one and he'll be fine.  Remember back to the first time you ever tried to use a climber - well, in your case JRB - I am sure you went right up with no problems.  But some folks have a hard time with them at first, like with anything new.  Unless of course they are born experts.

Al
THO Game Calls

browning204

after going home and taking a bit of a nap and clearing my head, I decided that I will give it another go.

I will re-read the directions and try to find what I was doing wrong. I have the next two days off.

But man I tell you, strapping my backpack with the E-caller onto it kinda makes it heavy!!!

THO Game Calls

QuoteBut man I tell you, strapping my backpack with the E-caller onto it kinda makes it heavy!!!

sheesh

Al

Jrbhunter

Well if you change your mind, again, let me know... I want to get another one of last years models before the new ones overwhelm the market.

Al, tell us more about your Wildlife Tech purchase.  Why not a Foxpro?

vvarmitr

I have a Summit Viper too.  I love it as a tree stand. Yeap! A pain in the posterior end until you get the hang of it. (Oops, a pun :laf:)

If ya want to get good at it practice on a Shagbark Hickory.  :innocentwhistle:  I tried it twice once ... first & the last time! :madd: Hey, the tree was in a perfect spot. :shrug:

Quote from: THO Game Calls on September 14, 2007, 03:43:28 PMI normally put my harness on at the truck and wear it in.
Now why didn't think of that?  :confused:

Does yours have the solid stirups & not the strap type?  What about a flip up foot rest?

HaMeR

browning-- I went thru the same thing with mine. :laf:<< Laughing with you & not at you OK?? :biggrin:  After a few more attempts I finally got it dialed in to where I can unpack it in the dark & go right up the tree. These things aren't the easiest to get the hang of right away for some folks but they can be overcome. Good Luck with it & Be Safe!! :wink:  You'll love it!! :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

browning204

Quote from: THO Game Calls on September 17, 2007, 06:12:18 PM
QuoteBut man I tell you, strapping my backpack with the E-caller onto it kinda makes it heavy!!!

sheesh

Al

WHAT???

browning204

Quote from: vvarmitr on September 17, 2007, 07:19:52 PM
I have a Summit Viper too.  I love it as a tree stand. Yeap! A pain in the posterior end until you get the hang of it. (Oops, a pun :laf:)

If ya want to get good at it practice on a Shagbark Hickory.  :innocentwhistle:  I tried it twice once ... first & the last time! :madd: Hey, the tree was in a perfect spot. :shrug:

Quote from: THO Game Calls on September 14, 2007, 03:43:28 PMI normally put my harness on at the truck and wear it in.
Now why didn't think of that?  :confused:

Does yours have the solid stirups & not the strap type?  What about a flip up foot rest?

Mine has the solid foot stirrups and the flip out foot rest. And the gun/ climbing bar.

browning204

Quote from: Jrbhunter on September 17, 2007, 06:27:11 PM

Al, tell us more about your Wildlife Tech purchase.  Why not a Foxpro?

Oh God, why did you do that?

browning204

Jason, probably because the WT has the best Coyote vocalizations.

But you already know that.

That's just my guess.

studabaka

Browning, Give yourself time. You will get the hang of it.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

browning204