• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Drawing the line...way OT

Started by Coulter, July 14, 2008, 06:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I finally got my older daughter out in the kayaks yesterday. We had planned to go through the marina and out into Presque Isle Bay, but when we got to the channel leading to the bay all I saw was whitecaps and 2-3 footers combined with 20-30 knot winds. We (I) opted to circle back and go through the lagoons and and out into Misery Bay. By that time we had to start heading back. But we were in position to either backtrack the way we had come or try Presque Isle Bay from a different angle. We couold now take the winds/waves head on instead of battling a trailing sea which would be way to much for her. I left the choice up to her and gave her the stipulation that we would have to hug the shoreline if we ventured out into the bay. I really wanted to play in the waves and I knew what she was going to pick. So off we went into Presque Isle Bay. I kept her in front of me at all times to keep an eye on her progress...and make sure she didn't capsize. Forward progress was very slow, but a lot of fun...until the winds tossed her into the shoreline rocks :doh2:. The further we went the stronger the winds were and I figured we better find a place to land among the rip-rap. I finally spotted a small section of sand and told her to land the kayak. There were still plenty of rocks in the area but we managed to land the two kayaks (with minimal scratching) and walk them across the point back into Misery Bay. The looks we got from the people picnicking was priceless. The looks said nothing more than those two must be nuts to be out in those little boats with a small craft advisory out. Little do they know - that is the best time to be out playing :biggrin:

Anyway, I explained to my daughter why we had to head back through the lagoons and I told her I wanted to give her the opportunity to play in some big surf, but it became to dangerous for her when she lost control of her kayak and got tossed onto the rocks. The bottom line of her response was..."well you're the parent...why did you let me go into the surf if you thought it was dangerous?" :doh2:

You just can't win sometimes :rolleye: You let them make a decision on their own. An educated decision at that. And adventure always comes out on top. The "parent" is wrong for letting them make a poor decision, but you're overprotective if you don't let them have some fun.

Either way we had fun and spent some quality time together...That is what matters the most. That and we made it back to the launch site in one piece. We managed to get back just as the last bit of light vanished from the horizon.

Steve

Silencer

Sounds pretty crazy to me.   Not sure if I'd had the nerve, we navigated some big white caps on Cayuga during a storm front with a bass boat and was scaret to death.  By the time we were done my kidneys were pounded so bad I thought I'd urinate blood.

Lessons learned, same with my boys this morning crossing the rapids in the river  :wink:

DirtyDog

Sounds like a good time regardless......... Time spent with the kids is priceless. I take it for granted, then they go away for the summer and I miss them terribly.  :iroll:

FinsnFur

mean ole Dad :laf:
Still sounds fun....sounds...sounds :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Its not so bad Vic...Sea kayaks are designed to take that abuse - as long as the paddler inside can handle it that is. I prefer to be out in small craft advisories...flat water is just boring :innocentwhistle: I don't think I'll be giving her the opportunity to paddle in water that rough again though.

The only way I have to worry about her going away is when she finishes high school next year...then its off to college. I have been fortunate enough not to have to share time or weekends with my kids. Hopefully I never do.

Steve