• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Going Bear Hunting next spring!!

Started by Bopeye, July 17, 2008, 10:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

Guys, I've been about ready to bust holding this in, but I got to tell y'all!!

There's a gentleman that comes to this board that goes by the board name "Tikaani". His real name is John. We've all enjoyed his beautiful panoramic views of the Alaskan Interior with pictures of Sheep, Caribou, beautiful mountains, etc. He's been a welcome addition to this board since he lives the life that most of us just dream about. He traps all kinds of things. Hunts bear, moose, wolves, shoot I don't know what all. Living the dream!!

Anyway back to my story. A few months ago John and I started corresponding through pm's, emails, and even the occasional phone call. I enjoyed our pm's, emails where he sent more pictures of his hunts and our phone conversations. I know most of you know that I had back surgery. He even called the day after surgery to check on me. I thought that was pretty nice of him.
  Well right before I was to go in for surgery John contacted me and asked if I would like to go bear hunting. Shoot yeah I'd like to go bear hunting, but that's a lot of work and money for a schmuck like me, especially since I don't know the first thing about it. He then said if I could make it up there the rest would be taken care of.  I 'bout passed out.    :sick2: :sick2: ;yes;
  Now guys. We aren't talking about going hunting with some greenhorn that may hunt a couple times a year. John spends his entire winter hunting and trapping. He gets wolves, bear, moose, and the list goes on. I can't tell you how excited I am, but at the same time very humbled.
  I feel very fortunate that John and his wife would extend an invitation to a relative stranger to come and share a little bit of heaven. I guess we are going to bear hunt, fly fish for grayling or whatever else, see Denali National Park and who knows what else. It won't matter at all to me what we do, just being there will be a treat.
  So far we have the date set tentatively for May 22 or 23rd and will be there until around June 1 or 2. I reckon if the Lord is willing, the river don't rise and John doesn't change his mind  :innocentwhistle:  I will get to live out a dream of mine since I was a kid. 

Thanks John, I CANNOT wait!!    :yahoo: :thumb2:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

pitw

That is great news.  Hope you have the time of your life.  Sounds like a pretty good deal as well.  I've got much the same happening with a fellow from Iceland coming over here this fall for some deer and coyote hunting.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Hey, that's a deal you CANNOT pass up!  Says a lot about Tikaani.    :congrats:

Now if you and John decide ya need someone to help ya drag that bear out of the woods..........  :innocentwhistle:

Semp

Coulter

Thats awesome Bop...I hope you have a great time. And John that is very generous of you. You guys better get some good pics :biggrin: Have fun!!

Steve

Silencer

I second what Steve said, take some pics and better yet bring a little notebook with ya to write your tales down at the
end of the day.

Wtg John, the hand extending family on this board is the best  :congrats:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Great news Bopeye!  :yoyo: And a really nice gesture Tikaani.   :bowingsmilie: I'm sure you guys will have a great time. Take lots of pictures. When I went moose hunting in 1997 I bought one of those disposable cameras and only took about a dozen photos. I have one picture of me and my moose! We all expect better of you. We'll be bear hunting in Alaske by proxy.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Bop, that is some GREAT news and I am sure that you will have the time of your life.  Remember to shoot, so that the bear doesn't BITE YOU or anything like that.  If memory serves me correctly there is only about 40 feet of snow left during this time of year and they seldom get over a couple feet of snow each day.   :biggrin:   You do have snowshoes, don't you?

John, it is an equally GREAT opportunity that you are offering Bop.  I think you will have a lifetime pass on getting a BITE ME from Bop.

We are all envious and will be looking for pictures after the hunt.

Jerry

Rprince

Congrats Bop, souinds like the trip of a lifetime!  :yoyo:

Being that I know nothing about bear hunting, are we talking a black bear hunt or a grizzly?

Todd Rahm

Hey all right Bop, and if ya pass through Wasilla going or coming, and have a free moment give me a call. That seems like ample time but you'll be very busy I'm sure.  :wink: And congrats on your trip.  :congrats:

Tikaani

I have been called a lot of things in my life, mostly proceeded with several expletive's, but to the best of my recollection, never have I been called a gentleman.  After my wife read the post she promptly said I will have to have the doors widened in the house as my head will no longer fit through them.  James, I will set up a stand near the house for you to hunt every night we are here and one two hours north of here where we will then take the ARGO in three hours and spend a few days camping, hunting and fishing. Also have a spot where we hunted this year up north, had six bears come in on one night, did not shoot any since they were all five foot to five five in size.  Thought about your coming here as I watched four of them on the bait at once, and figured a couple of these will be over six foot about the time you get here next year.  So maybe three different areas.  Have already got salmon guts and heads from Chitna rotting in three 5 gallon buckets for next year. Take care and I am glad you are excited.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

HaMeR

:yoyo:  Two weeks without Bopeye next year!!  :thumb2: :yahoo:

:holdon: :holdon: :shck:

Just messin with ya Bop!! Thats great news & I think you deserve a nice vacation buddy.  :yoyo:

Way to go John!! You're making a kids dream come true!!  :thumb2: :thumb2:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

Bop? How ya gettin there? You surly aint flying :nono:  I hope you take lots of pics and share with FNFrs :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

George Ackley

Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

Bopeye

Quote from: HaMeR on July 18, 2008, 03:33:44 PM

Way to go John!! You're making a kids dream come true!!  :thumb2: :thumb2:
[/quote

Dang Hamer, I'm older than you, but thanks all the same.

Thank you to everyone elso as well.  :yoyo:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

iahntr

Bop
There's a package in Iowa that John said your supposed to pick up on your way up there, :iroll:
There'll be somebody there to help ya get it loaded, a little heavy, weighs about 185 lbs.
not sure what's in it.  :shrug: :innocentwhistle:

That'll be great man, congratulations.    :yoyo:
Scott

Yotehntr

Congrat's Bop! That's a heck of an opportunity! We will be watching for pics! 
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

DirtyDog

Good deal little buddy.......that is one of my dreams too. :sneer:

coyotehunter_1

That's a heck of an offer, Alaska is a great place. You'll have a ball.  :highclap: :congrats: :biggrin:

Hey, don't forget to put plenty of honey buns in your day pack, don't want you to get hungry out there.   :wink: :laf:   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Frogman

Wow Bopeye,
      No wonder you are excited.  That sounds like a heck of trip. 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!