• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Thousands Of Ticks And One Squirrel

Started by weedwalker, June 04, 2016, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

I had planned on fishing today, but storms were supposed to roll in mid-day. So I decided to try out a new pellet rifle I got on some squirrels. The rifle is a Crosman F4 NP Nitro-Piston. It's the same exact thing the higher dollar Benjamins are using in their rifles. A friend of mine has the Benjamin NP and we held them side by side. Same exact gun with just a different stock. I ordered mine from Wal-Mart for $75. But they come with a throw away scope. You'll need to upgrade that. I tried about 5 different types of pellets before I found what it shoots best. It will shoot a group about dime size at 30 yards.
I only saw a couple squirrels this morning. One was way out of range, then I shot this one at about 25 yards. I had forgot my bug spray. I found at least 20 ticks crawling on me. None bit in yet though.

FinsnFur

Looks like a nice tool for that kinda money. How do you charge it? is it CO2?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

nastygunz

The old-style would break open and compress a huge spring, the nitro piston breaks open compresses a piston full of nitrogen. Many advantages over the old Springers.

New crosman, big squarril!

https://www.crosman.com/connect/benjamin-airguns-announces-new-entry-level-pcp-rifle/

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Nice rifle, Ed!   The ticks take the joy out of the woods right now.  But I may yet get out and do some squirrel hunting before the season goes out.

KySongDog

HuntnCarve

Don't forget, a person will need a High Pressure Hand pump or source of compressed air (2000 PSI) to fill it.  The Benjamin hand pump is around $180.00  A Hill brand hand pump (much better pump) is around $290.00

This new PCP rifle does not appear to be shrouded.  So it is going to be loud.

Dave

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Dave,

Do you have or have you considered getting a tank?  Getting it filled could be a bit of a problem, but I have heard that some fire stations will fill them if you don't have a scuba shop nearby.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Jerry,

I bought a "Great White" carbon fiber tank (4500 PSI) shortly after I got my Kalibrgun Cricket rifle.  I take it to a scuba shop about 10 miles from here and get it filled for $5.00  Lasts me a few months depending on how much shooting I am doing.  I can fill all my PCP rifles in a heart beat.  Much easier than hand pumping.  :wink:

Dave

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on June 08, 2016, 08:08:44 AM
Dave,

Do you have or have you considered getting a tank?  Getting it filled could be a bit of a problem, but I have heard that some fire stations will fill them if you don't have a scuba shop nearby.

Jerry

Side note FWIW:  For air pressure usage rather than breathing via SCUBA, most any pressure filling will do.  If you breathe it, make sure that it is filled by a proper SCUBA filtered compressor.  My first SCUBA outfit I bought from an acquaintance who got drafted.  A cousin and I started diving with zero instruction.  We took it to a gas station to fill the tank and fortunately, the owner was a SCUBA diver who laughed and told us that he didn't have the right attachment and if he did, it would kill us to breathe it.  He sent us to a SCUBA tank filler and told us that regular non-filtered air (or whatever they do with it) contained enough oil and water to give anyone who breathes it rapid pneumonia. 

On topic:  I am green with envy re these uber air rifles. 

HuntnCarve

Clyde,

Oil and high pressure air are a dangerous combination in an air rifle.  So yes, always use air from a proper source.

Meantime, the other morning I went out on the back deck with the Cricket.  It seems some flies were landing on the white paper target I had set up at 25 yards.  Three shots, three splats!  It's too easy with the .25 Cricket. 

Dave

Okanagan

Quote from: HuntnCarve on June 08, 2016, 12:03:33 PM
Clyde,

Oil and high pressure air are a dangerous combination in an air rifle.  So yes, always use air from a proper source.

Meantime, the other morning I went out on the back deck with the Cricket.  It seems some flies were landing on the white paper target I had set up at 25 yards.  Three shots, three splats!  It's too easy with the .25 Cricket. 

Dave

Salt in the wound!  That is some shooting!

Good input re oil and compressed air in an air gun.  I'd forgotten about how my air pistol "diesels" if I don't clean the oil out of the barrel and chamber well.  I've heard that it can blow up or at least damage a gun.