• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Boyds stocks

Started by awh, May 11, 2007, 11:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awh

Anyone used one of the boyd stocks? If so, any problems?

I have received permission from the lil lady to order me a thumbhole stk to go on the Howa .204
Just want some other input before I order
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Hawks Feather

awh,

I don't own one, but have handled quite a few and they seem pretty good to me.  The barrel channels in the ones that I have seen are straight, finished one looked pretty good, refinished or home finished looked even better, and the thumbhole stock feels and holds pretty good.  I have not heard of any problems (like splitting etc).  I think that Jim has one on one (maybe more) of his guns.

Jerry

Ladobe

Danny,

I bought a factory finished Ross Thumbhole Burchell from Boyds for a full custom Ruger 10/22 I built.   Stock is much higher quality overall than those from say Richards Microfit IMO.   But even though it was suppose to be 100% inletted, it wasn't.   It's not even close in fact and will require a lot of "deepening" to get the action mounted deep enough for the safety to work.   Barrel channel was cut for the .920 custom barrel, but also is way too shallow and will require a lot of wood removal.  I lost interest in the project (don't know why I even built the rifle - I shoot 17 rimfires only), so never fitted the stock to the action/barrel yet.

Typical for production run laminated stocks the laminate is not centered for pattern before cut.

On the plus side they have lowered their price for the 600's $40 since I bought mine.

Larry

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

FinsnFur

Ladobe, hit it right smack on the head.

You can't beat em for price and they are a good durable quality. But the amount of work involved to get everything to fit first is horrendously unbelievable. Then the second round starts as you grind adequate clearance for everything.

Simply fitting isnt good enough. Dont give up and stop there.

I told myself when I got mine done that I'd never buy another one. But you figure in two things....One- I have never done anything like that before and I'll admit it got a little overwhelming. Two - I don't think you'll find the quality anywhere else that Boyds provides for the money.
Therefore I would safely venture to say I'd try it again now that I've cooled off.  :biggrin:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Boyds stock on a Savage 17HMR.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

awh

I'm going to attempt it. I really want a thumbhole stock on the .204, and now that Hamer has posted his 17....It may be the second one I do.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

HaMeR

Here's a Maple Richards Micro Fit on my 204. This one took almost 10 hours to get ready. It was very rough out of the box.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

awh

Well she's on order and they say it will be built in August.  :doh2:  They only build that model 3 times a year. I just hope I don't forget and trade that rifle off by then... :rolleye:

FinsnFur

I got the same hook and line.....I was beginning to wonder if I'd have mine done before the LBL last year...but it all worked out.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

awh

Well as I said before, stock was ordered back in May. Called Friday to check on it as it was supposed to be built this month. When I called I got a recording to leave a message and they would return my call with-in 48 hrs. So I wait. Monday comes and goes and no call back. So I call again. Got a young lady that told me they had not made it yet and she could not tell me when they were going to make it.
Yeap, I wanted to go off on her but thought it might prolong the shipping of my stock even more so I bit my tongue and kept all the nice things I wanted to say to my self. For now. I'm going to call back Friday and if they can't give me a date.....She will hear my thoughts on the company. :argh:

vvarmitr

Sounds like the gun stock business might need some competition. :wo:  :biggrin:  :eyebrow:

Danny: Don't go off on the secretary. :rolleye: Get at least somebody that makes salary before popping the valve. :sneer:

FinsnFur

That's bullcrap!...I wonder what the heck is going on. Doesn't sound like the same company I dealt with at all.
I wonder if their having some issues.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

awh

Well, it finally came. Ordered it back in May and it arrives the end of January. What service.......  :argh: :doh2:.

On the plus side I came very popular with all the people that work the service calls. Guessing, I would say every time the phone rang there they thought it was me again.... :biggrin: Next time I'll just cut the tree, shape it out myself. I know I can get it faster than going through this again. :madd:

DGF

I had thought about one of there stocks until reading this post. Anybody have any other good suggestions?

FinsnFur

That sucks Danny. I think someone said that when I ordered mine too....it could take months because they only build one model every so often but it's a continuous rotation between the listed models.

I must have hit it just right...I know it took a while but not THAT long. I'd have to go back and see how long it did take.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers