• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

USPSA - What I do when it's not hunting season

Started by cb223, June 06, 2008, 08:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb223

VV,  I'm glad you took it the way it was intended, it took me a while to come up with the right wording. I was trying to give an honest explanation without sounding like an arrogant prick.

If you ever have a chance you should go watch a USPSA or IDPA match. Even though the shooting rules differ the safety rules are very much the same.

Chad
CHAD

cb223

TEAM JT
This is most of the guys and gal that I shoot with on a regular basis. I'm the pup(that's what all the old dudes call me) in the right front.

This pic is two of the guys from the Army team, two of the guys from the SV Infinity team and the Match Directer and match coordinator.

CHAD

Frogman

Guys,
      This is really lots of fun.  As stated above you should all try to find a local club that sponsors USPSA or IDPA matches and at least go to a match and just watch what goes on.  Safety is most important.  The first time I went to an IDPA match I took my .45 Gold Cup and a holster and two magazine I had.  After watching for a while I thought, "I can do this."  I signed up, paid the $10.00 entry fee and went to the stage that looked easiest to me.  While I was waiting to shoot another shooter started talking to me and found out it was my first time.  He told me to stick with him and for the rest of the match he coached me and explained the rules and helped me get through the stages.  At one of the stages I had a jam.  The guy running the stage aske me if I had cheap gun show magazines.  I told him yes that was exactly what I had.  He showed me the Wilson Combat magazines and even loaned me three of them to finish the match.  I soon found out that this guy was Ken Hackathorn, a well known shooter and one of the founders of USPSA and IDPA.  He also used to write articles in "American Handgunner" magazine.  Here he was helping out a "newbie".
       At that first match I just tried to take my time and get my hits.  A few weeks later the match scores came in the mail.  I finished in the lower quarter of shooters, but there were several who finished below me.  I was excited and thought, "If I just practice some I can do better the next time".   After parcticing a lot for a few years and shooting close to ten thousand rounds one year I finally qualified as IDPA Expert at a match.  Master is the only higher level.  We have 15 or twenty Master level shooters at Ft. Harmar and I usually finsh in the top quarter of the 100 or so shooters at each match now.  Since I got into coyote hunting I have not been practicing or shooting as much so my scores have suffered.  Remember also that you really only compete against other guys shooting the same type of gun as you and are at the same level as you.  But really you are competing against yourself, just trying to do a little better each time out.  This is really fun and you guys should give it a try!!!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Quote from: Frogman on July 17, 2008, 06:53:42 PM
 After parcticing a lot for a few years and shooting close to ten thousand rounds one year I finally qualified as IDPA Expert at a match. 

Hey Frogman

At the NRA national meeting in Louisville last May, I met and talked to Todd Jarrett.  I asked him how much he practices.  He said he does two hours of dry fire every day.  He shoots 85,000 - 90,000 rounds per year in practice!  He did a demonstration for the crowd.  Talk about FAST!  Unbelievable!   :yoyo:

Semp

coyote101

Semp at the NRA convention with Todd Jarrett. Sorry I didn't get the pics to you sooner Johnny; I forgot about them. I watched Jarrett give that demo twice. It really is something to see.

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

That OLD guy in the goofy camo hat is me??   :confused:   Uh, thanks, Pat.  I think.   :biggrin:

:roflmao:

Semp

Frogman

Hey, I recognize that guy in the hat.  Todd Jarrett is awsome.  I would love to watch his demo or take a class with him. 

Come on guys, get out there and give it a try!!  If you have a ccw permit you owe it to yourself to be as well trained as possible.  IDPA and USPSA allows you to practice the skills you might need someday.  I know if I were going to have a shootout with someone I sure hope it's not another IDPA or USPSA shooter. 

Monthly match at Ft. Harmar Rifle Club near Marietta, OH is Sunday July 27 beginning at 10:00 AM and usually lasts til 4:00 PM depending on the number of shooters.  I plan on running a stage at that match and would like to invite any of you close enough to make it, to join us.  You do not have to be a member of Ft. Harmar, or of IDPA to shoot in the match.  Observers are always welcome.  Just be sure to bring ear and eye protection!!  Let me know if you need directions to the outdoor range.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Yeah, that guy looks real familiar :biggrin: :biggrin:
How many did ya buy Johnny?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com