Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Tailgate / Re: Tip of the day
« Last post by bambam on Today at 02:36:39 PM »
If you're wrong and shut up, you are wise. If you're right and shut up, you are married.
The Tailgate / Today in history 10-15
« Last post by remrogers on Today at 09:53:08 AM »
Wayne Gretzky breaks NHL points record

On October 15, 1989, 28-year-old Los Angeles King Wayne Gretzky breaks Gordie Howe’s points record (1,850) in the final period of a game against the Edmonton Oilers. Gretzky’s record-setting goal tied the game; in overtime he scored another, and the Kings won 5-4.

Gretzky had entered the game with 1,849 points. About five minutes into the first period, he tied Howe’s record by earning an assist on the game’s first goal. After that, he didn’t do much, and “almost didn’t play the third period,” Gretzky told reporters after the game, because “I got my bell rung a few times.” But when he came off the bench with three minutes to go in the game, his team down 3-4, he meant business. With 61 seconds left on the clock, defender Steve Duchesne shot the puck toward the corner of the goal. It bounced off winger Dave Taylor’s knee and slid across the front of the goal. Gretzky, who had set up behind the net (a part of the ice that many fans called “Gretzky’s office”), skated around and backhanded the puck past Oilers goaltender Bill Ranford and under the crossbar. The game was tied; the record was broken.

Gretzky had played in Edmonton for nine seasons and helped the team win four Stanley Cups, so the city’s Northland Coliseum was packed with fans. When he scored his goal, the sellout crowd erupted into a thunderous ovation that lasted for more than two minutes. The league stopped the game for a ceremony at center ice. Gordie Howe made a speech, and there were gifts: a 1.851-carat diamond bracelet (with diamonds spelling out “1,851” across its face) from his old teammates, a crystal hologram engraved with his picture from the Kings and a carved silver tea tray from the league. Then Gretzky himself took the microphone. He thanked the Edmonton fans, his parents and his wife, and he added: “Gordie is still the greatest, in my mind, and the greatest in everyone’s mind.”

Howe, who was 61, returned the younger player’s affection. “If it was, pardon the expression, some clown” who’d broken his record, he said, “it would have bothered me. But not Wayne.” By the time Gretzky retired at the end of the 1998-99 season, he held or shared 61 NHL records. In all, he scored 894 goals and tallied 1,963 assists for 2,857 points in 1,487 games. He’d broken Howe’s record for goals scored (801) in March 1994, in his 1,117th game. “You’ve always been the Great One,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman told him that night, “but tonight you’ve become the greatest.”
The Tailgate / What is this? 10-14
« Last post by remrogers on Yesterday at 07:15:11 PM »
The Tailgate / Today in history 10-14
« Last post by remrogers on Yesterday at 10:28:34 AM »
Elwood Haynes, “Grandsire of Gasoline Cars,” is born

On October 14, 1857, engineer and inventor Elwood Haynes is born in Portland, Indiana. Haynes designed one of the very first American automobiles, the Haynes “Pioneer.”  He was also an accomplished metallurgist: He patented stainless steel, stellite and a cobalt-chromium alloy that was used to make sharp dental and surgical tools. Haynes died of influenza in 1925.

After he finished graduate school at Johns Hopkins University, Haynes became the manager of a natural-gas plant in Kokomo, Indiana. The job required a great deal of travel, most of it on unpleasantly rutted and uneven rural roads and the engineer spent many hours fretting over the exasperating inefficiency of horse-drawn vehicles. There must, he thought, be a way to design a machine that could carry men faster and farther than even the strongest horses could.

First, he considered rigging up a steam-powered car, but that would be a fire hazard and require a constant water supply. Next, he considered using an electric engine, but concluded that even the lightest of those would be too heavy. Finally, Haynes decided that he would use a one-cylinder, one-horsepower gasoline engine to power his machine. The completed Haynes buggy (which he paid brothers Elmer and Edger Apperson 40 cents an hour to build) was an 820-pound, open-bodied, push-start vehicle with a chain drive, a steering tiller and 28-inch bicycle wheels. It only had room for one person and could not go in reverse.

On July 4, 1894, Haynes took his horseless carriage for its first long-distance test drive. He hitched the vehicle to a team of horses and pulled it to the outskirts of Kokomo; then he turned it around, started the motor and puttered back toward the holiday festivities in town, leaving the horses behind. “As the little machine rolled along at a speed of about six or seven miles an hour under the power of the tireless little motor,” Haynes wrote two decades later, “I realized that a new era was coming for highway travel.”  The success of his car, he added, “foreshadowed a new mode of locomotion and a coming industry of colossal proportions.”

In 1899, Elwood Haynes became the first person to drive 1,000 miles in a motor car. He donated the original Pioneer to the Smithsonian in 1910. In 1995, the car appeared on a U.S. postage stamp.
The Tailgate / Re: What is this? 10-13
« Last post by remrogers on Yesterday at 10:23:41 AM »
You folks are hard to stump. It isn't too bad as a coffee stretcher.
« Last post by bambam on Yesterday at 10:19:43 AM »
Teach me to do thy will , for thou art my God , thy spirit is good ; lead me into the land of uprightness. Psalms 143:10
The Tailgate / Re: What is this? 10-12
« Last post by Hawks Feather on October 13, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
Yep. But mine is styled a little different than that one.

Jerry
« Last post by pitw on October 13, 2018, 03:25:11 PM »
Changing a poopy diaper reminds you of why you quit having kids. :puke:

:laf: :laf: Like to see a video of you doing that !!!!

Ya like puke do ya?
The Tailgate / Re: What is this? 10-13
« Last post by nastygunz on October 13, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
Bambam wins!

Blue cichorium chicory wild flowers
The Tailgate / Re: What is this? 10-12
« Last post by coyote101 on October 13, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »
Anyone, besides me actually have one?

I have one.

Pat
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10