• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Back at an old stand....

Started by centerfire_223, December 26, 2009, 09:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

Yall remember us talking over a stand location that I had gotten busted on earlier this year?

Well I had a couple of hours to get out this morning and decided it was time to try it out again. I sort of did the same thing this time that I had done the last time, only thing different was I changed stand locations. I moved over to the right hand side of the picture where CCP suggested to call from.

It was supper foggy this morning, visibility was about 75 yards or so. Now remember it is about 200-250 yards across this pasture. There was no way I could watch the wood line today.

I started the stand off with a long howl on my Kee's howler. First howl got a dog barking. So I hit it again, and the farmers dogs got to howling, well that set off every coyote on the place to howling. So I jumped right in there yip howling with them. After about 5 -10 minutes I hit the rabbit in distress. I hadn't gotten the call out of my mouth when I seen a dark colored coyote coming across the wide open pasture but sort of in behind me. There I was with my gun pointing in the wrong direction. He came up to about 50 yards and started his down wind trek. Every time he would look where he was going I would slowly move my gun in his direction. Finally I had him in my scope, and one shot to the ribcage sent him a running. He made it about 50 yards before he piled up.

I hit the hurt pup for a few minutes and noticed another dark colored coyote in front of me, at about 200 yards. I could see him with my eyes, barely, but when I put the scope on him he blended in with the fog. Never even got a shot at him. Here is what it looked like.

All said and done I got another black coyote and most likely the other one was black or at least very dark. That is 3 black ones and one very dark one killed on this farm. I think they are kin, what yall think?
Today's coyote

The very dark brown one Drew killed, same farm.

Same farm a few years back

Same farm a week before the last picture
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

HaMeR

WOW!! Congratulations on the black coyotes!! Those are all nice dogs!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Nice looking coyotes.  I'd have to think they are related :shrug:.  I have never seen a black coyote in person so I'm thinking it must be in their genes around there.  If one came in to me up here I wouldn't shoot cause I'd think I called in the landowners dog :doh2:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Excellent write up and pics, Ronnie!    :congrats:   Congrats on another black one!   :yoyo:

centerfire_223

That's a total of 7 black coyotes I have  called up and killed. I have been lucky.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

slagmaker

Congratulations on the fur. nice looking coyotes ya got there.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Bopeye

Very nice!!!  :congrats: :highclap:

We have the occasional black ones here and blond ones. Three were taken off the same ridge a few years ago. I figured they must be kin.  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

CCP

Great Job Ronnie seems to be a real productive place!  :highclap: :highclap:

QuoteIt was supper foggy this morning

I like hunting in the fog especially in open areas. We have a few spots that are open and have no access to the woods we save these for super foggy morning. Super foggy means relatively 0 wind and coyotes have no problem crossing open areas then.(feel safe cant be seen from a distance)

Once again congrats and great story and pic's.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

centerfire_223

Quote from: CCP on December 26, 2009, 04:31:38 PM
Great Job Ronnie seems to be a real productive place!  :highclap: :highclap:

That's 7 coyotes called up on this farm so far this year. Only killed one of the 7 and missed 2 more.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

coyotehunter_1

Ronnie :congrats:

Some of us could go a life time without seeing even one black coyote let alone several. It looks like you've found a real honey hole.  :thumb2:     
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Yotehntr

:yoyo: Congrat's on the black yote! 
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

GunDog

Very nice looking dogs for sure. Congrats to you on the fur down ,,,  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Those things are truly beautiful Ronnie.
What no crackpipe this time? Are they on to it? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

Did I not mentioned the crack pipe? Actually I left it at home and had to use another pipe. Made by the same man, just a little more fancy looking. Only got out a few notes on it and here he came. It may be more addicting than the old pipe. Sort of makes a man feel like Pied Piper.  :nono:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

SCcoyotehunter

hmmm??? Looks like Lake Keowee there?
Is that a shotgun rifle combination? Can't help notice the two different size barrels.

Great job on the black ones, hey I'm up in Boiling Springs, SC,  not too far from you. We ought to get together and go sometime.

Keep it up!

centerfire_223

Yea I shoot an over and under 12 ga/.223 combo. It's the best of both worlds for coyote hunting. Give me a holler and we will try and get together for a hunt.

You got it right, that is Lake Keowee, over on the Cane Creek arm. It is almost in the city limits. I have called up several coyotes on this farm.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Frogman

Ronnie,

Way to go and good shooting.  I have never seen a black coyote.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Bluesman

I don't know.........there may be some racism there.   :wo:

jk of course... :wink:
Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB