• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Book to share: Klondike, the Last Great Gold Rush

Started by KySongDog, March 09, 2010, 11:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

While at the LBL hunt in February, pitw gave me a book about the Klondike gold rush.   I just sent it to coyote101 who asked to be next in line.  If anyone else is interested, post your name in this thread and it will be forwarded to you.  You agree to forward it to the next person and so on.

Barry was very enthusiastic about this book and I can see why.  It has LOTS of great history and stories about this unique period of time.  

The name of the book is  Klondike, the Last Great Gold Rush 1896-1899  by Pierre Berton.   496 pages.

Hawks Feather

I thought I would check with the local library to see if they had it and they didn't, but they did show a few copies of Klondike Women from the same time period.  I have one of them being sent for me to check out.  What does surprise me is that the don't show this book at any of the libraries in Ohio.   Don't put me on the list yet.  I want to see what the Women have to say first.

Jerry

pitw

I'm not a big fan of Pierre Burton but he did a lot of research into the history of this FnCountry  :wink:.  Some of the hardships endured by the people of the Klondike were unbelievable and the rewards few for most.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Quote from: Hawks Feather on March 09, 2010, 04:54:21 PM
What does surprise me is that the don't show this book at any of the libraries in Ohio.   

It is a Canadian book, Jerry.   :laf:   That might be why it is not listed. 

bambam

Barry can READ ???   Must be one of those pop-up books.  :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:

pitw

Quote from: bambam on March 09, 2010, 07:22:58 PM
Barry can READ ???   Must be one of those pop-up books.  :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:

Pictures are worth a thousand words :innocentwhistle:
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Well after all of these months of reading off and on, I finally finished the book. A pretty interesting read about an extrodinary time in history. If anyone else is interested in reading it please let me know and I will forward it to you. Thanks to Barry and Semp for sharing.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing