• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Problem with Porkers

Started by GunDog, March 13, 2010, 06:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunDog

I have a local farmer here that lets me coyote hunt on his place. His only requirement (other than safety) is that I help control the hogs that wander in and out from time to time. I was over a few weeks ago coyote calling and noticed the hogs had showed back up over there. I talked to the farmer about it and we decided a trap was in order, so the next few days I set one. The hogs are only hitting this area a couple times a week and it's been hard to pattern them. We have figured out that they are coming in the wee hours of the mornings just before day break. We sat on the field with rifles equipped with night vision for four nights straight and no hogs. The fourth night we left and they showed sometime between four and seven. That was about a week ago and we backed off of it. There had been no more fresh signs until today. This is what we found when we checked the trap this morning.

This first picture is my youngest son Jason surveying the damage...

I turned a 180 and snapped this pic...

This is a pic of a lonesome hog trap...

This last pic is a track of what we're after, looks to be a good one...

This farm isn't but four miles from my little farm. I really don't want the hogs this close to home ....

JohnP

Very destructive animals and they multiply like rabbits and they are at the top of the food chain.  Can you bait for them, a few bushels of corn may be worth the price.  We killed many of them in Germany, a herd destroyed two acres of corn in one night.  Don't let them get a foot hold or they'll be all over your county.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

slagmaker

Good luck on the hogs. Like John said it may be worth baiting them to get them comming around the way you need.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Wow, we got a few here but nothing like that.
They are still discussing seasons here whether or not they are going to let us hunt them.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Wow I haven't seen anything like that since I was in Australia and down there they were domestic hogs gone wild.   We have a few escapees from farms[why anyone in there right mind would bring in and try to farm a destructive species is beyond me :argh:] up here in Alberta and there is a bounty on them.
I say what I think not think what I say.

GunDog

QuoteCan you bait for them, a few bushels of corn may be worth the price.

Mr John we can't legally hunt them over a baited area. I would love to be able to pour some of the secret family WILDHOG recipe out and sit there with a rifle and wait on them. I got some of that secret recipe working off now in a 55gallon barrel - it will be for the trap.  :wink:

QuoteThey are still discussing seasons here whether or not they are going to let us hunt them.

Jim if they are there it's just a matter of time. They will be begging people to kill them. Talk about destructive critters - they will tear up fences, garden, fields ...... just destroy property, especially the farm land quicker than anything I've ever seen.

Bopeye

I know a guy that could help you with them. He wears shades and a do-rag all the time. His name is.......gosh, I can't think of it......is first name is Glenn, but I would have to just make a guess about his last name.  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

GunDog

Jeesh Bop - I'm trying to look him up online here and just not having much luck! Would that first name be spelled with two N's or just one you think?  :shrug:

Seriously - we need to get them out of here quick. Ya'll fellers that's close may be smelling the smoke before too long :eyebrow:

Jimmie in Ky

I am already smelling the smoke. I tracked a few for some fellows last weekend on some public ground near here. So far locals are keeping a lid on them but we would love for them to be gone. But with them being able to hide out in a bird sanctuary most of the time that is not likely to happen. Jimmie

KySongDog

The Discovery Channel aired a special program called the Pig Bomb.

Here is a link to some clips.  Pretty interesting.........

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/pig-bomb-super-pigs.html

JohnP

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 13, 2010, 06:49:30 PM
Wow, we got a few here but nothing like that.
They are still discussing seasons here whether or not they are going to let us hunt them.

Im suprised they would even think of establishing a season on such a destuctive animal.  We don't have many here, but there is no season and no limit, kill the SOB's on sight.  You don't even need a hunting license.  The game departments view is that they are not a game animal so there are no hunting rules or regulations that pertain to them.   

Tikaani

Thanks for the pictures and the story Gundog.  Semp, I saw that show and was amazed at the numbers and problem that they are having down there. 

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

GunDog

Bop - I still have not figured out who the do-rag dude in the shades is, ya had any luck remembering? Could use some extra help!  :eyebrownod:

Semp - that was a very interesting clip. Thanks for sharing it sir.

JohnP - there is no season or regulations on them here either - other than the hunting over bait. They are one of the few critters on the list that is fair game year round - as long as you have your hunting license in order.

Tikaani - Here I am trying to catch a stinking pig for a photo shoot to post and your up there taking professional photographs of the last frontier for us to see. You are very welcome for my stories and pics! Stay Safe

Jimmie in Ky

I have watched the Pig Bomb every time they air it. I think about that very thing happening here. And with the regs in the LBL it dcould happen there as well if htey don't get a handle on it quick.

Cousin has a large lease down in Goergia. Claimed it too k them five months of hard work to clear the porkers off of it and htye keep a dog man handy to take out the newcomers that show up.  It took traps baits and dogs to do the work since the hogs did nothing but get smart to each thing they tried.  Hiring the houndsmen was the most cost effective method they tried.  He believes the baying of the hounds keeps them spooked as well.

Our laws are the same as John's. You see 'em shoot em, no liscencse no season. But no baiting on public hunting areas  :rolleye: Jimmie

Hawks Feather

I have always heard that hogs are destructive and thought that first picture showed it pretty well.  Then you did the 180 and it looks like the field has been plowed.  I am going to have to get in shape, get a knee replaced, and head to southern Ohio to see if I can find one.

Jerry

GunDog

Jerry if you can't find ya one in southern Ohio come on down to Georgia! I wished I wasn't in the shape I'm in to sir. They would already be all gone from here. :wink:

Jimmie I do know a few folks with the dogs but this place isn't "highway" safe at all if you know what I mean. This field is in the corner of an  intersection where two major highways cross. I wished I could get some dogs in there! :eyebrownod:

JohnP

I was recently talking to a Sergeant who had been stationed at Ft Benning.  He said that they are so bad out in the training areas that the post commander placed a $50. bounty on them. 

Jimmie in Ky

In your case the open door policy on the baited traps is probably the best bet. Feed the suckers a while and then set it. I wish they would let me set traps here. But the landowners and the state are frowning on it. Why the landowners are trying to keep things bottled up I don't know. State does not allow baiting on WMA's . I raised hogs for years and know how destructive they can be. Any time we wanted an acre or two cleared we fenced it and let them do the work. Heck of a lot cheaper than a dozer. And the top soil stayed there with a fresh batch of fertilizer. Jimmie