• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

morrell mushrooms

Started by markTNhunter, April 12, 2010, 09:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markTNhunter

i find them around here mostly around here on hill sides near poplar and elm trees  but they dont grow under every poplar or elm though (lol) i find most where on a hill side theres like a small flat spot or a ditch some that holds a little more moister than the rest of the hill side.i do find some late in the spring in creek bottoms near sycomore trees there usually big yellow ones.

Jimmie in Ky

They are giving specifics with the kits for raising them. Therre has been some success at it because of those high prices. But raising the shitakes are much easier in my opinion. Not to mention being able to force them at any time it is warm enough.

The elm I just cut down was very dead and not a shroom anywhere around it. I have aplace covered with just the trees everyone mentions . I have even got down on my knees looking around those things and have yet to find any. The north side of hte swamp is sounding more like it with each post you make. Plenty of elm and poplar there and ash as well. Plenty of trees on the ground too. If there was a place around here with them that should be it. It rarely floods there and the ground is just moist most of the time. Jimmie

awh

They are just starting to come up here. And in this part of VA the best place is under and around apple trees. (I live in an old apple orchard... :eyebrow: )
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

msmith

It's been so dry here, it's no use to even bother. Once we get a little rain though, they will be poppin' up.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Bopeye

We use to hunt for them with my grandparents along the Republican River Valley in southwest Nebraska. About the only two trees in that area then were Elm and Cottonwood trees. We would find a bunch of them and then spend that night gorging ourselves on the crazy things. I don't look for them anymore as the places I would find them here are usually chucked full of rattlesnakes and copperheads and Lord knows I don't like Mr. Noshoulders at all. I figure he could keep them.  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

bigben

went out yesterday and found some.  about a dozen mixed between white and blacks.  I plan on frying them up in butter with trout fillets tommarow night.  should make a tasty supper.  anyone in northcentral pa wants some come on over I will have plenty.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

markTNhunter

that sounds good ben they are awsom with fish

FinsnFur

I'll be there, should I bring a dish to pass?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 15, 2010, 08:43:08 PM
I'll be there, should I bring a dish to pass?

I doubt you need that dish Jim. I'm sure they'll just hand you the cash to get you back up North.  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Nothing here yet. But I will be going out and looking today after my interview.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

vvarmitr

Quote from: awh on April 13, 2010, 11:49:11 PM
They are just starting to come up here. And in this part of VA the best place is under and around apple trees. (I live in an old apple orchard... :eyebrow: )
Orchards are always good, but I always heard that the dead elms had to be standing & losing their bark.
Here's a whopper I found once. That's a 45lc w/ a 51/2" barrel for size comparison ....

msmith

We're getting some rain. Tomorrow may be a good day.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

msmith

On the subject of mushrooms, Jimmie mentioned shitakes. My wife has a recipe that uses steaks from a bull and shitake mushrooms. It's called...

Bullshitake... and I get fed a lot of it.

Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

HaMeR

Quote from: msmith on April 17, 2010, 12:47:09 PM
On the subject of mushrooms, Jimmie mentioned shitakes. My wife has a recipe that uses steaks from a bull and shitake mushrooms. It's called...

Bullshitake... and I get fed a lot of it.

:confused:  That would explain why you're so fluent in it then.  :yoyo: :yoyo: :alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

markTNhunter

hey BOBEYE ill trade you a bag of mushrooms for a great big ole slice of that cake your wife makes! have you guys seen these cakes there awsome

msmith

Quoteconfused  That would explain why you're so fluent in it then.  yoyo yoyo 

Some attributes just stand out don't they?  :eyebrownod:
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

HaMeR

Quote from: msmith on April 17, 2010, 04:39:02 PM
Quoteconfused  That would explain why you're so fluent in it then.  yoyo yoyo 

Some attributes just stand out don't they?  :eyebrownod:

:eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell