• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Farming can be dangerous work.

Started by nastygunz, April 20, 2010, 06:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Farmer Killed When Tractor Rolls Over

Farmer Pinned Under Tractor While Bringing Tree Down

POSTED: 10:48 am EDT April 20, 2010

MONROE, N.H. -- New Hampshire State Police said a 62-year-old farmer was killed when he was accidentally pinned under a tractor on his property in Monroe.

According to police, Howard Ward and another person had been trying to cut down a large pine tree Monday afternoon. Ward was using the tractor to push on the tree and guide it down.

Police said that as the tree started to fall, the front of the tractor became entwined with the tree. The tractor rolled over, and Ward was pinned beneath it. Rescuers pronounced him dead at the scene.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boy Pinned Under Feed In Farm Silo

Rescuers Say Boy Suffered Life-Threatening Injuries

POSTED: 5:20 pm EDT April 20, 2010

CLAREMONT, N.H. -- A boy suffered life-threatening injuries when he was pinned under a large amount of feed at a farm in Claremont on Tuesday.

Police said the boy was pinned under feed in a silo on the MacGlaflin Farm on Case Road in Claremont. Adults at the scene were able to find and free the boy and started CPR.

The boy was transported to Valley Regional Hospital and later to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center.

The boy's age and identity were not released. His injuries were described as life-threatening, but his latest condition was not available.

The incident was under investigation by Claremont police and the Sullivan County Attorney's Office.

bambam

sorry to hear that. Farming is dangerous work. Lots of farmers around here have been killed and maimed over there years.

slagmaker

Farming, One of the top ten deadliest jobs.

It is an active time of year for all that till the earth.

Prayers to the families.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

pitw

Yep farming is like most jobs where you use heavy machinery, dangerous.  Had a family of four brothers lived 2 miles from home,  three went over seas and saw action in WW2 and came they came home but the one who stayed back on the farm died after his horses did the run away thingy with a discer :puke:.  I had my only brother die in a farming accident in '76.
I say what I think not think what I say.

vvarmitr

Lost a brother as well. Tractor rolled over on him. :sad:

pitw

I'm thinking we can get killed or injured at a moments notice so everyone in any walk of life should be as careful as they can.  That and for gosh sakes stop to smell a flower, pet a dog, feel a leaf and admire beauty where ever it may be.  Life is to short to spend all of it worrying about money or in Turkey Jims case, SEX :alscalls:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

Tractors will get you, over the years lots of Farmers in my area have been killed by Tractors, just cannot be to careful. cc

Jimmie in Ky

So many things can happen on or off the farm in the blink of an eye. Some survive and some don't. Lost one of my uncles to a farming accident too. He was my dads twin. Please be careful outh there fellas, Good friends are very hard to come by. Jimmie

Bills Custom Calls

It is not just being around the equipment that will do you in
In my younger day I used to get heat exhaustion from being in the hot sun making hay from noon till dark,and 7 years ago I had a heat stroke and now it is really tuff on me to be in the sun to long at a time.

I know of several good folk that died in farming accidents and some that died of heart attacks caused by working to hard in the hot sun and not resting when they needed it
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Silencer

One of the teens that work weekends with me had the front of his foot taken off with a spreader.   Good kid, he still hunts, is on the 4H trap shooting team, and plays golf for his varsity school team.

msmith

One evening about 41 years ago, my grandfather was mowing hay with an Allis Chalmers C that had a belly mounted sickle bar mower. He was finishing up by mowing the road bank which was pretty much straight up and down. The tractor was on the level and the cutter bar was laying kinda vertical, as vertical as a pitman operated sickle could be, when the shoe on the end of the bar caught on a root pulling the tractor around and up the bank. With the dampness of the dew, and his leather soled shoes, his foot slipped off of the clutch allowing the tractor to continue up the bank and flip over backwards. Fortunately, the cutter bar came loose and smacked him in the head tearing about a four inch gash in his cheek. He was pinned beneath the steering wheel, but the cutter bar was keeping most of the weight of the tractor off of him. It was quite a sight for me being only five years old. I still remember the hearse that he rode to the hospital in. Three days in the hospital, several stitches on the face, and some torn ligaments were the only thing he suffered. We were very lucky.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori