• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

iphone not just for music/video or phone calls!

Started by CCP, June 19, 2010, 05:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

Very rarely does something come along that effect’s my life and the way I do things as the iphone has. If you live in an area AT&T does not have good service I feel bad for you on missing out. Fortunately I have great service here and everywhere I go except for a few places.

I have been a windows mobile device user for several years and could not imagine it getting any better. (Boy was I wrong)

Cell phones, and computers have become a daily use item in business to the point I can’t be as productive without them. The instant information it provides is invaluable in the work place.

Now I have found the perfect device for me to combine all of these things.

In the past if I ran into a problem on the job site I would have to write a report when I got to the shop. Go over it with the shop and then the shop contacts the Superintendent, Architect, Engineer and anyone else involved explain the problem setup a meeting and then wait for it to be redrawn and then out to us. This could take anywhere from 2 to 5 days.

Now I take a picture with the phone then scan the prints where the problem is. Write it out in an e-mail mass send it to all involved. Engineer, Architect draws it up sends it out to all parties involved in a PDF drawing and we are back on line in 1 to 3 hours in most cases all from the phone.

I  do my daily reports on the phone as they are happening and at the end of the day e-mail them to where they need to go. My time sheets are now done on the phone in word doc and e-mailed to the shop before I even arrive. Material list, bids, price comparisons, excels spread sheets and billing can all be done in a matter of seconds from the jobsite.

When I am in a jobsite meeting and changes are made I can type in notes or use a recording of the entire meeting. I can scan the paperwork given to me at the meeting and e-mail or fax yes I said fax them straight to my office from my phone. The office can be instantly aware of these changes and if there are any problems or extra charges they can immediately address them.

I could do alot of these things in my windows based phones but the iphone makes it even easier with a few extra add on apps.

Here are a few things I use every day and some screen shots straight from my phone.

Here is a screen shot of my construction calculator I use on the phone. No more looking for something to write on or digging through the truck trying to find my calculator.

Here is a shot of my doc viewer I use ifiles. I have this linked to my computer so I have the files I may need to see at work.

Here is a shot of my Doc to go. I can edit my word Doc’s and Excel file right on the phone and send them where ever they need to go. I wrote this post from this App in word.

Here is a shot of the Doc scanner I use. This thing is AMAZING I use it a lot to scans tons of stuff. This one is a little blury was in a hurry but holding the scanner better =’s better scans.

This is a todo list I do just that things I need to do from projects at work, meeting, reminders and just anything you need to not forget goes here with push e-mail notifications and alarms.

My most used App is evernote this app is free and all my notes, reports documents and everything in between goes here. I have access to it on the phone or any computer.

If you are like me I have so many business cards to sort through I am always digging to find them then have to enter the info into my contacts on the phone. This little app does all that for you. I take a pic of the card it scans it then puts the card in a folder and also adds all the info automatically to my contacts in the phone. How cool is that??

Photobucket on the phone who would have ever thought? The pics from this post were all uploaded using the photobucket app right here on the phone.

A few honorable mentions

isnipe is a cool ballistics calculator. It has most all the over the counter ammo in its data base and you can put in your hand loads with tons of variables. Wind speed, angles, elevation and on and on.

Google earth is something most of us use on the computer but having it on the phone brings it full circle.It has all the great this as the desk top plus real time tracking and points.

You can even tilt your phone and view the horizon.

Google maps is a lot like Google earth like its desk top version you can look up and find lots of cool stuff along with routing and the like.

MotionX GPS is another cool GPS gives me tons of control over my tracks and way points.

I could go on and on but have more than likely bored you guy’s enough. If you find yourself needing something more from your phone for business and need to stay connected and on top of things in your day to day life and have good AT&T coverage look at the iphone. I am glad I did and it’s been 4 months now and I am still WOWED by its capabilities. I actually wrote this whole post and posted it along with pic’s  right here on the iphone.

CCP

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Hawks Feather

I have looked at them and only wish that I could convince myself that I really needed one.  There are many apps that I would love to have, but I just can't come to the decision to buy the iPhone so that I could get the apps.  My sister-in-law was here a couple of months ago and she had hers and I loved playing with it.  I must have started to have that "need this" look in my eyes because Becky said, "You don't need one of those."  But I am glad that you have one and are enjoying it.

Jerry

HaMeR

:laf: @ Jerry!!

Cool phone Richard!! Sure glad I aint smart enuf to yuse one uf them!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:   :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Todd Rahm

Well the wife's had an Iphone 3GS for a while now and I really like it, but wasn't really looking to get one real soon until the new one came out and I was sold on the HD video camera. 5 MP camera and the video conferencing.  :biggrin:

Matter fact I thought to myself, maybe with this new HD video camera I could become the next CCP with the video making.  :sneer:

But after further reading up, it had other options I thought would be handy, and one is be able to create and print forms to my wireless printer.  :congrats:

So needless to say, I went in to AT&T on the 15th and purchased a new Iphone 4 and with any luck, I'll be playing with it and that camera on the 24th.
 :yahoo:

So now I need to get Riches number to play around since its FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Yotehntr

:confused:  ........ all I heard was blah, blah, blah, blah.... didn't know you spoke "geek" Rich.   :laf:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

kyfuzzyface

It all sounds real cool Rich even if I did figure out how to use it. The first thing I would do is loose it  :rolleye: :rolleye:
Fuzzy

Carolina Coyote

Just how cool is that thing, ain't them Japanese smart!  :biggrin:  :eyebrownod: cc

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Ya, sure it isnt Barry :alscalls:

That is pretty cool.I dont think I'd have a use for one but it'd be fun to play with. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Heck Jim, ya could build a web site with i on your local lunch break.  :biggrin:

Silencer

QuoteThe first thing I would do is loose it
Or have it in your wader pocket thats not water-proof opening day of duck lol.   

My contract just came up and I got another free-bee phone :biggrin:.

Pretty amazing the things you can do now days, my boy has an I-pod touch ( I think thats what it is ?  )   I played with it for a bit and I still dont know what the functions are but I did find out how to access the internet with it lol.

Todd Rahm

So much for timely issue. I stood in line for a bit on the 15th so I could get it on the 24th, and now I'm informed I can pick it up on the 29th. This is the same day it is availble to joe public to walk in and get it. So much for pre ordering.  :doh2:

To be honest I'm getting mine to help pass time at work  :innocentwhistle: , when i'm sitting in the care waiting for the wife, sitting at the soccer field waiting for Wyatt......yadda yadda yadda..........................................and some of the games.  :biggrin:

KySongDog

AT&T service where I live is hit or miss.   So the iPhone is not a good option right now.   I have been thinking about a Droid phone though. 

bigben

I have to agree with ccp that these new phones are revolutionary and changing the world we live in.  I just got a phone that can get on the net.  check email. and such.  not a smart phone but can still get some stuff done.  maybe in a few years I will get a smart phone but until then I think i will manage. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Todd Rahm

Smart phone? Ah, man I'm doomed. I'm in over my head.  :doh2:

Semp its just the opposite here ATT seems to have th better coverage. One thing those cell phone companies aren't.............and thats consistent.

Hawks Feather

I just want to share that I think my cell phone is pretty smart too.  It doesn't take pictures, have internet connection, or even know what an app is.  BUT . . . .  I lay it down and it stays right there.  And since it isn't turned on it is quiet.  It even remembers to stay right there when I leave and don't pick it up.  It also knows that there are "dead zones" and when it is in one of those (even when turned on) it remains quiet so as to not wake the dead.  All in all, I think my phone is pretty smart. 

Jerry

KySongDog

Quote from: Todd Rahm on June 24, 2010, 07:59:04 AM
Smart phone? Ah, man I'm doomed. I'm in over my head.  :doh2:

Semp its just the opposite here ATT seems to have th better coverage. One thing those cell phone companies aren't.............and thats consistent.

Todd, is that Glen squirrel doing what I think he's doing to that Bill squirrel?    :alscalls:  :alscalls:   :alscalls:

HaMeR

QuoteTodd, is that Glen squirrel doing what I think he's doing to that Bill squirrel?  :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:

:confused: Would that be Glenn Guess??  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Todd Rahm

QuoteTodd, is that Glen squirrel doing what I think he's doing to that Bill squirrel?

No Semp, he is not and keep your head out of the gutter. Glenn is giving him a massage.  :eyebrownod:

Got my phone today too.  :yoyo: