Main Menu

Finally!!!

Started by slagmaker, August 17, 2010, 08:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Congrats again Bear.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Quote from: coyote101 on August 25, 2010, 10:02:53 PM
Congrats again Bear.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat

+1  We are praising the Lord with you!  Hang in there.

Yotehntr

:yoyo:  Congrat's on the new job!  Maint. huh???  Sure beats working for a living don't it!  :biggrin:  I'm maint at an automotive plant.  :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

slagmaker

Yep maintenance. Been a industrial maintenance tech for 20 years or there abouts. I have worked in wood working plants, automotive plants, a plastics injection and blow molding plant, a ball bearing plant and a bread bakery. I can tell you there is nothing like it. Never the same job twice and you are not stuck in one spot watching a part go buy. Ya get to use your hands and your head. but the best part about being in maintenance............... I am "authorized personel"

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Yotehntr

You said something about getting to go to school for your journeyman papers, are ya'll multi-craft? 

slagmaker

Yep! multi craft is the way I would describe it..

In a days time I may work on a machine with a robot on it that was made yesterday or I may work on something that was made in the 1930's, I run pipe, move machinery, hang conduit. I can pour concreate or rebuild a hydraulic pump. I have been known to weld up a tank for a waste oil recovery unit and back up a omron PLC all in the same day. I can troubleshoot a problem on a machine that I have never seen run before in my life with just a minimmal bit of knowledge on what the heck it is supposed to be doin and what it aint doin. One day I may not even open my tooll box but other days I may have to push my tool box a couple miles a day going from one broken machine to the next. I put out fires and I have to deal with other peoples emergencys all day. I am a mechanic a millwright an electrician and a few other things that I dont even know the names for. I have worked on the roof of a factory replacing a blower motor on a cooling tower when it was 15* below with a wind chill that I dont even want to guess at. I have man handeled 40 pound baking pans as they come out of the furnace at 350* for two hours straight all cause some other maintenance tech read a number wrong. I have made friends and I have made enemies. But with all that and more........

Yeah I love what I do.

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

vvarmitr

Way cool Slag!  :dance:
My SIL is like that & I'm soooo proud of him!  ;yes;
I can't do squat so that's why I'm becoming a business manager.   :loco:
:laf:

Yotehntr

Quote from: slagmaker on August 29, 2010, 08:54:38 PM
Yep! multi craft is the way I would describe it.. I am a mechanic a millwright an electrician and a few other things that I dont even know the names for.

:innocentwhistle:   Ok.... I'm going to give you a free pass on that one.  :laf:

slagmaker

Quote from: Yotehntr on August 30, 2010, 10:39:39 AM
Quote from: slagmaker on August 29, 2010, 08:54:38 PM
Yep! multi craft is the way I would describe it.. I am a mechanic a millwright an electrician and a few other things that I don't even know the names for.

:innocentwhistle:   Ok.... I'm going to give you a free pass on that one.  :laf:

Some of the things I do I know there is a term for it but I am unable to remember there terminology. Like an individual that runs communications has a name and what that name is alludes me at this point in time.

I would think that the term millwright would cover what I do but I do more than just a millwright. I have worked in a union shop where if an electrician picked up a trowel he could get his butt in deep do-do, or if a mechanic were to use a VOM he would get wrote up, not by the company but by the union. I have worked at and am presently at a shop that you best know how to do anything they need ya for. THAT would be me. If I cant do it I learn how.

I worked in a shop where they only had 3 maintenance men. Not a one of them could weld, only one was an electrician and only one of them knew anything about hydraulics. The most common phrase I heard there was "we just hire that out". When I left there all of them were taking electrical courses and all were able to at least run a stick or a MiG welder. Some say the age of the jack-of-all-trades is going away but I say we are needed more than ever.

The only way to do away with the J-O-A-T's would be if you were able to do your PM's properly. But I have yet to see a company that would let a machine set long enough for a proper PM to be done to it. Most the time they go with the notion that if it isn't broke run it.  If you were able to do your PM's as needed you would still need the techs to do the follow ups and a JOAT would fit the bill for that. It wouldn't matter what the PM found he could take care of it and not need to wait on a team of people to show up.