• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

kahy-oh-tee, kahy-oht or yote

Started by KySongDog, October 11, 2010, 08:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

[RANT ON]

In my travels on the hunting boards, I am getting to the point of almost vomiting when ever I see or hear the word yote.     :argh:

Canis latrans name is coyote (say kahy-oh-tee or kahy-oht) not YOTE!   

Yote means to "To pour water on; to soak in, or mix with, water."  And has nothing to do with the varmint we are trying to hunt!   :doh2:

This pet peeve of mine is second only to that frequent question, "Is my 17HMR a good yote gun?"    :rolleye:

[RANT OFF]

Todd Rahm

I use them all, offended my none and killed a coyote with my Marlin 17 hmr.  :biggrin:

bigben

I am waiting on johnP to respond to this thread.  

I pronounce it two different way.  kiyote  and kiyotee.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

pitw

:alscalls: :alscalls:........................................................................................ :laugh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

kahy-oh-tee is usually how I prononce the common name of canis latrans. BUT I have been know to call them a yote, song dog, freaking furry killer, flat footed stomache, chicken thief and a few other names that shouldnt be mentioned in mixed company.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Carolina Coyote

For sure Political Correctness has gone to the dogs.   :doh2:  cc

JohnP

I'm with Semp on this issue.  It really aggravates me to hear the word Yote or Dog when referring to coyotes.  I have been hunting these creatures for most of my life and have a great respect for their ability to out smart most people, myself included.  No personal insult to anyone here on this board but to me it shows a lack of respect for the animal we are hunting.  Not to long ago I entered a local coyote contest, all proceeds to go a local charity.  I didn't win the contest but I did kill the largest coyote.  When they gave me the plaque it read "Largest Dog Killed"  I handed it back to the presenter and told him that I don't kill dogs.  In regards to the 17HMR - It is not a coyote gun.  Will it kill a coyote, of course it will but in my opinion it shouldn't be the weapon of choice.   
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

topdawg

i prefer yote...just because it is easy to spell and quick to type ........sorry I'm illiterate and lazy  :shrug:

how about just calling them "frustrating"
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

Jimmie in Ky

Hey Semp, I'll see ya sometime in december in the lbl to hunt some Dawgs.  :innocentwhistle: Jimmie

vayotehowler

i say yote when typing only because it is quick as well. but i always tell people going coyote hunting. I do have respect for their cunning and intelligence . especially after doign alot of research on them. I like the name brush puppy.( sorry to add a new one SEMP)  :rolleye: :doh2:

FinsnFur

I'm guilty of having used it before.
But in all reality, anyone with any time under their belt on ANY hunting board.........knows that it's a big nono and looked down upon by a LOT of people.
Not everyone.....but a LOT of people, and has been for a long time. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 11, 2010, 07:25:44 PM

Is there something you ain't guilty of :confused:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

KySongDog

But in all reality, anyone with any time under their belt on ANY hunting board.........knows that it's a big nono and looked down upon by a LOT of people.
Not everyone.....but a LOT of people, and has been for a long time. :eyebrownod:

I've used it before too.  Many times.  But I have, I say, I have seened the light.    :eyebrownod:

For some reason, I woke up one day and now it just irritates the [L] out of me. 

So like quitting drinking, or quitting smoking, or quitting dipping............  I am quit with the "Y" word.    :wink:

Bopeye

I've always called them a Kahy-oht, but that is mostly due to being born and lived my youth out in Nebraska, Kansas and Wyoming. Call a coyote a Kayh-oh-tee out there and they will either laugh at you, call you dipwad or at the very least look at ya funny.
Having spent my entire adult life in the southeast I have grown very accustomed to the coyote being referred to as a kahy-oh-tee. This is fine with me as well now. I will interchange both names frequently and sometimes do so in the same sentence.

I use to think some of the other names for the coyote were kind of cute like brush wolf, song dog, yodel dog, yote, dawg, etc., but I too don't go for them much anymore. It doesn't really bother me at all, but I just do not prefer it. Most of the time it seems like it's coming out of the mouth of a young or inexperienced coyote hunter so I just overlook it.

However, if Semp decides to stomp someone for saying it, I will help him............... :nono: just teasing.  :laf:

Give'em heck Dad.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

weedwalker

Quote from: Semp on October 11, 2010, 08:13:52 PMFor some reason, I woke up one day and now it just irritates the [L] out of me. 

On the days you wake up irritated, do you remember having any dreams the night before? Do you wake up feeling as though you have seen the light? Did you eat supper too close to bedtime? Do you feel irritated every morning or just occasionaly? Am I irritating you now? :wo:

:alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:

CCP

kahy-oh-tee

Would elaborate more but think ED may have irritated you again.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Bopeye

Quote from: CCP on October 11, 2010, 08:56:39 PM
kahy-oh-tee

Would elaborate more but think ED may have irritated you again.

Need a little more info. than that Mr. Baxter.  :noway:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

coyotehunter_1

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

Quote from: pitw on October 11, 2010, 07:31:59 PM

Is there something you ain't guilty of :confused:.

Actually yea there is..... I can honestly say that I've never.....

Ah forget it, I guess I did that once too. :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com