• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

reloading cost savings

Started by iahntr, January 23, 2011, 04:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahntr

Recently a friend of mine picked up a couple .45's for his boys and he already has a couple handguns. Yesterday when we were out he picked up a few hundred rounds for em. I think they figured out to be 42 to 45 cents a round. We got on the topic of reloading. For those of you that reload, how much do you think you can save by hand loading ? I know it's a pretty general question, but just kinda curious as to some guesses. Feel free to chime in on this caliber, and other calibers too. Thanks
Scott

Hawks Feather

While this is really a general answer, reloading 1000 9mm will cost around $154.00 and the same loaded rounds will be between $235 and $500 (depending on what brand, bullet, etc.).  Now for the assumptions on that information - assumption 1 is that you have fired brass and didn't need to pay for the brass and assumption 2 is that you either own a reloading outfit or have access to one. 

It will also depend on how much you shoot.  If you are shooting a couple hundred rounds a year it will be cheaper to just buy loaded rounds and resell your once-fired brass.  If you are shooting a thousand rounds a year you will pay for your reloading equipment in a couple of years (or one year depending on the equipment you buy). 

To me, I would probably reload if the cost of materials was the same as the cost of loaded rounds - especially rifle.  I want to be able to adjust my powder, primer, bullet, and seating depth and I can't do that with commercial rounds. 

I would/will be happy to go into more detail if you want, but this will give you my "quick" answer.

Jerry

coyotehunter_1

I agree with Jerry, he was posting as I was writing.  :laf:

QuoteFor those of you that reload, how much do you think you can save by hand loading ?

Being able to build custom loaded cartridges for your firearm is a big, big plus and can be quite an enjoyable hobby. Every cartridge I reload is a labor of love but if you figure in anything for your time, plus the cost of tools (if you are just getting started) and components I doubt you will ever save piles of money.  Reloading often becomes a never ending cycle... the more cartridges you reload, the more you shoot... then the more you will need to reload. 

But then again there is nothing wrong with being able to shoot more is there? :shrug:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Carolina Coyote

That is a very broad question and hard to answer with the price of things today, A lot depends on what your purpose is for reloading, if you shoot a lot, I think you will save money over the long run, all reloading componet prices have sharply increased in the last two years, the only area that you really save is in reusing the Brass, its been a while since I run a cost estimate on the rounds I load but I enjoy the reloading and being able to load for specific rifles means a lot to me and the knowledge gained in shooting is worth a lot. With all that is going on in the world today its worth a lot to be able to roll your own if things go south.

iahntr

Thanks guys. I realize it was a pretty broad question, and there's a lotta
factors, I was just curious on a cost factor if a guy could save like 50%
or so. I know ya have the initial cost of reloading equipment, supplies, vs.
the type and cost of the factory ammo you're buying etc. and I agree on the
benefits of being able to customize your loads, and the ability to load your own
"if things go south". I appreciate it, and if anybody else wants to jump in , feel free.
I may have more questions in the near future.  :wink: 
Scott

WldWldWest

You really see the cost savings if you dont factor in your time, Me....I have more time than money so it's a no brainer! To me it's part of shooting (My favorite passtime!) Which I dont get to do everyday but On most days I can find time to slip out to the garage and push out a few bullet's! It may sound silly but to me it's like an extension of my shooting sessions!

The real gratitude show's up when you do your research and put together the components and the weekend comes around and your able to get out and put nice tiny groups in your target with something that you put together. Be it Deer/Yote's/target's etc... you will have the satisfaction of knowing that was a load that you put together!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Hawks Feather

I am like WWW in that I really enjoy reloading and the accuracy that can come from it.  There are times when I don't know if I 'reload to shoot' or 'shoot to reload'.  I can become real relaxed when I go down and start reloading. 

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

I did a cost estimate today on some of the rounds I loaded just using the componets, Bullets, Primer, Powder, Brass. This is using todays prices From MidSouth including buying new Brass.
To Load 20 rounds of 243 wssm with 75 Grain V-max --- $15.65
            50 rounds                                                   $39.12
Cost of Factory loaded rounds for 20                           $32.41
You can see the potential for savings in reloading compared to Factory loaded rounds.
I look at the equipment to reload as an investment because if you decide to get out of it you can resale it and recover some of the cost, the cost of the equipment is going to depend on the type of Ammo you want to load and the quality you expect to produce, in other words you can spent as mich or as little as you want to invest.
I think WWW and Hawk pretty much summed it up Its a labor of love.  :biggrin: cc

WldWldWest

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

eliscomin

After your initial investment in press, dies, scale, manual(s), calipers, case prep stuff, & components, your cost per round will go down. For handgun shooting which tends to mean higher volumes, savings can be pretty good. Like others have pointed out, however, you will probably shoot more, & get interested in other aspects of shooting (buy a chronograph, try lots of different powder, bullet, primer combinations to find just the right load, etc.) but that is part of the fun.

FOsteology

Let's get realistic fella's..... there is absolutely NO cost savings by rolling your own. PERIOD!!!

WHY??? Well, once you begin rolling your own, you typically shoot more (A LOT MORE)..... thus, more $$ is spent purchasing components to continue shooting.
Not a bad thing..... as shooting more is good. Practice is good. Familiarity with our firearms, ballistics, etc.  :biggrin:

pitw

I suppose if a person lived within 70 miles of a place that actually sold ammunition for my guns and then supposed that they even had some with the components I wanted then there might not be much savings :shrug:.  Living out here on the prairies I've reloaded for close to 35 years just so I can have ammo to shoot ;yes;.  It's also a great method of teaching people[both young and old] how to use different tools :wink:.  Reloading isn't about saving money to me, but rather the eans of meeting an end.
I say what I think not think what I say.

iahntr

Well I missed several posts here. Thanks for the #'s CC,
and for the input everybody, all good points. Looks like my
plans for things here have changed, but I'll relay it all to my buddy.
Thanks
Scott

Carolina Coyote

Let's get realistic fella's..... there is absolutely NO cost savings by rolling your own. PERIOD!!!

Now Fos how am I gonna explain to my better half after I have already convinced her of how much money I save by reloading my own ammo?  :doh2: cc

Hawks Feather

Just show her the price on a "retail" box (not at a discount store), tell her what the components cost for the same amount, and don't let her know about Fos' post.     :wink:

Jerry

FOsteology

My neighbor thinks I'm a fool and wasting tons of money..... as he's still on the same box of ammo he bought down at Wally World in 1998. His motto, "One bullet, one deer".  Of course, since he purchased his box of ammo, he's only tagged one deer since 1998..... might want to spend a little more green and head to the range and ensure proper zero and practice a bit. :alscalls:

Frogman

I shoot lots of .45 ACP for practice and in IDPA matches.  One year when I was into it hot and heavy I kept track of how many primers I went through.  It turned out to be 9,000 rounds I reloaded that year.  No way I could have afforded buying that much factory ammo. 

When I got my AR for coyote hunting I had trouble getting groups under two inches at 100 yards with many of the different factory ammos I tried.  I bought .223 dies and started experimenting with different bullets and powders.  This was fun, by the way!  I now have a load the consistently shoots nickel sized groups at 100 yards. 

I agree that reloading probably hasn't saved me much money, but it sure has been a fun and enjoyable part of the shooting sports for me!

Jim 
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Carolina Coyote

There is just so many advantages to reloading but its not for everyone, if its something you don't think you would enjoy doing don't do it, but if you love shooting as I do you would also love reloading. Not much more I can add to that.   :biggrin: cc

HuntnCarve

You'll definitely save money.. :innocentwhistle:  -That's if you don't get caught up in this facinating "labor of love".  :laf: 

Dave

Edited to add:  "Winner of the Messy Reloading Bench" award!

Hawks Feather

Dave,

Just thought I would check and see if you have any powder for reloading?    :alscalls:

Jerry