• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Painted Weights

Started by Posiedon, August 03, 2006, 10:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Posiedon

Weather you want to catch more fish or just save money, painting your fishing weights to match your lures can help on both ends.  You can go to almost any baitstore and buy weights that already match your lures but they are more expensive and the paint doesn't last longer than one cast into rocks.  Here is a simple way to paint your own weights/jigheads with a rock hard exterior that will last longer than any factory job.

To start off with, you will need your weights, a box, toothpicks, paint, and epoxy.

Poke your toothpicks into the box like shown above.  Now place your weights onto the tops of the toothpicks.

Take your can of spray paint, color of your choice, and give them two heavy coats.

Let the paint dry and mix you up some clear epoxy or borrow your wifes clear acrylic nail polish.  I used nail polish in this one and I have also used epoxy before.  Nail polish is by far chaeaper and you can also get it with glitter in it for a metal flaked finish.  Add two thick layers of the hard finish and you are done.

I recently have been adding garlic powder to the hard finish during the drying process.  I have noticed a higher catch rate on my garlic painted lead heads than I have regular leadheads for smallmouth.  Too add garlic, sprinkle it the hardener as it starts getting tacky.  Of course the powder will eventually dissolve but it works for the first 5-6 casts. And the weights will still have the garlic smell after all of it is dissolved.

Now you can be the judge.  The color I used today was more of a nuetral color than a color to match my lure shown.  To get real artistic, you can also use colored nail polish to two tone the weights to make them match perfectly.

Give this a try next time you go to the lake or river.  I guarantee that it will help you catch more fish.  And especially the ones that have been around the block a couple times.

Don't mind Homer in the picks, that is a spare piece of siding I was practicing engraving into.

Rick223

Thanks for the tip Posiedon :yoyo:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

FinsnFur

I'm still looking at Homer :nono: pretty nice job actually.

Nice tip don, thanks.
When I saw the first picture...box and toothpics, I thought to myself, "what kind of birthday cake is that?" LOL
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Posiedon

Just got back from  a catfishing trip, and I was the only one that was catching fish.  The only thing different in my setup was I was using my garlic weights and nobody else was.  When I handed them to the other two guys with me, they started catching.  Seems the garlic works for Catfish also.

FinsnFur

You got me wanting to dump a little garlic powder in my stink bait up here Don. :biggrin:

We don't use crawlers very often for cattin. We end up catching too many turtles and other unwanted rough.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com