• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Fish for my pond

Started by BryanStanley, March 08, 2007, 07:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanStanley

Put in an order to stock my pond in the spring. The wife an I moved farther up north a few months ago and the house we bought hae a very large pond that is stocked right now with yellow cats. So I figured I would have some different fish put in.
12 to 14 inch hybrib gills 100
7 to 10 inch yellow perch 100
250 sunspot and pumpkin seed
6 large mouth bass for crowd control
6 5 gallon buckets of bullhead minnows for feed
not to mention that we will be having a windmill installed to keep the water moving and help out the fish too.
Any suggestions for other fish will greatly be appreciated as out pond is almost 2 acres in size.

bryan

FinsnFur

Cool  :yoyo:
How expensive is doing something like that anyway? Stocking it.

Doesn't it require certain rough fish to keep it somewhat clean?

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

BryanStanley

Jim
so far I have a little under a grand invested in the fish with another 1300.. for the windmill. The yellow cats should keep it clean enough. if not I will get some gay suckers put in this way they can't breed.

FinsnFur

:roflmao:
Ok...I wasnt expecting that. (wiping Copenhagen off the monitor)
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

BryanStanley

I am not very big into fishing persay. But if you get one of those hybrid gills on the end of a fly rod be prepared to have a blast. They fight like hell. Besides that it is a regular nature preserve where I live. Have hunted off the front porch for deer, currently have a mech feeder near the pond. I am surrounded by corn, soy and bean fields for the most part. Nearest neighbor is about 7oo yrds to the east. my own privete hunting area thanks to Bass pro Shops

Ladobe

Pond?   Heck, at only 2 acres that tain't even much of a puddle.   Ooops, forgot... I'm not a Texan.   Sorry.    :holdon:

Actually sounds like a real sweet setup Bryan.   Would be great to see some pictures when you get to it.   
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

BryanStanley

this picture was taken this past fall, right now I have a skateing rink for the critters.

FinsnFur

Yeah I'll have to bring a rod and reel down and clean out the big'uns so they dont tear things up  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

BryanStanley

Jim
if your gonna bring the rod and reel bring batter along with you as well. We can cook them up right there throw out the rest an con hunt after dark.......lol

Hawks Feather

Jim,

Sounds like all the Fins and Fur members just got invited to Bryan's for some fishing and good times.   :innocentwhistle:

Bryan,

Let us know when it is warm enough to be there and not have mosquitoes.  Of course since MI, that  is like OH, might be right now.   :laf:

Jerry

FinsnFur

What's that Jerry?...I was packing my duffle bag  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

BryanStanley

Come on up this summer, we can make it a pig roast to boot. The DNR here would like to have plent of feral hogs taken out of the areas around me. They are not considered a game animal here and the only requirment is a small game permit.........WOOHOO

DirtyDog

Boy would that be fun. Whatch out for that Jim guy though. Someone told me he went out on a date with sheep once.  :eyebrownod:

FinsnFur

Yeah but it was a blind date.  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bopeye

Might have been a blind date............but you did like it.......... :nono:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

awh

We have a couple of ponds here. From the pic I can tell you you won't need that many minnows. We took one 5 gallon bucket of them and split them into two ponds. As long as they have some type of cover they will breed every 16-17 days.  Our bigger pond is about 1-1/2 acres and we have 200-300 large mouth, 50 small mouth, hand full of hy-gills and 50 or so carp. The smaller pond has 100 hy-gills , 100 cats and one large mouth (Can't catch him to get him out!) The hy-gills grow quick. We put 1-2" fingerlings in and in less than a year they were already as big as your hand. The large mouth have been in almost two years now and average 3-4 pounds.

Only thing I can think of you may need is a blind to shot from as the #$%^& cranes eat as many as we do.  :madd:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

BryanStanley

Can't shoot the cranes here, but I do have a paintballs gun. That I hope will do the trick.

Lil-Man

We can't shoot them either and it makes it a real pain to watch one of the blue herrings lift off the pond and you had just watched him swallow two big hy-bluegills and one in his mouth as he takes off. I never thought of the paint ball guns. I have three so me and cam might have to sit in the edge of the woods and have some target practice this summer when theres nothing else to do. ANd theres always the chance of one of our friends trying to sneak into the ponds to fish that would give CAm a real big target.... :eyebrow: :innocentwhistle:
Take a kid hunting!
I'm a kid :)-