• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Just a couple for the skillet

Started by FinsnFur, October 24, 2012, 08:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Hidehunter's 50" Musky make my pics look like I fish in the wading pool now. :sad: Thinking about banning him :eyebrow:

Anyway...It's been crazy warm here lately and tonight was the first chance I've had to get back down to the river a while.
Things were pretty lively at first. I caught several bass that were humping the legal size...but not many that were unquestionable.
First cast I tied into this bass pictured below and I thought man o man it's going to be one of those evenings :jump:

I couldnt have been further from the truth. Things died as fast as the began.
I swapped out my jewelry to see if I could pull anything out of the shallows as the evening sun put itself to rest and pulled out this ...miniature Pike. (31 inches) :shrug:
Just what the doctor ordered.   :eyebrownod: I was hoping and wondering if I'd get a couple to make a quick meal out of since I was having a hankering for some fried fish and didnt wanna have to thaw anything.

Forgot my camera, so they both got their pics taken by the Kill Table :sneer:

Boy that Pike looks even smaller now!  :doh2: Oh well it's gonna taste good.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

shaddragger

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

FinsnFur

There's been a lot of fillets born on that table. :eyebrownod: And it cleans faster then it gets dirty with the trough on the edge of it. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

Nice fish.  :yoyo: Do you filet the pike? If so, do you remove the y-bones when fileting or after cooking? I haven't figured it out, so I just cook the filets with the y-bones in and remove them before eating.  :confused:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hidehunter

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 24, 2012, 08:27:52 PM
Hidehunter's 50" Musky make my pics look like I fish in the wading pool now. :sad: Thinking about banning him :eyebrow:

:noway:   :laf:

Thats a great evening on the water if ya ask me.  How long was your bass and what did ya catch em on in these cooler water temps?  i know you are a spinnerbait fan but didnt know if you were still throwing them since its cooled down.
Denver                                           

Hidehunter

:laf:  :laf: My skills are in no way as good as CCP's
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

I dont have it down 100% either Pat. I'm trying to relearn it and this was another reason I kept this small one.
I DO KNOW...from the dorsal back is pure boneless meat, so I took that on this one. And also the ...well lets call them backstraps....both side of the spine  shallow cuts the length of the fish...I took those too.

Denver, the bass was 17 inches. My record is 23. (figured I'd throw that in there)
I caught that one tonight on a rattle trap. I started out with that cause this time of year they usually respond to minnow schools as they try to gorge themselves one last time up here.
When I switched jewelry I switched to one of our hand built spinners with a white skirt and a double colorado, instead of the typical willow/colorado combo, and the Pike was all over that.  He burn'd a lot of line before he said...."this is BS" and hung it up.
10lb Sufix by the way...yeah I figured you'd like that
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hidehunter

:yoyo: Definatly a nice Bass and you are right, I did like that lol.  As much as I brag on Sufix they should make me prostaf and send me free stuff  :laf:

Congrats Jim!!  About when do you guys ice up (I know it varies some year to year but thinking it is usually first of November)
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Yep, first of November is a pretty good standard. But if there is any it's usually short lived and pretty week at that time.
Beaver trapping opens 1st weekend in November and ya better bring a small flat bottom you can push around.....just to give you an idea. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Todd Rahm

Good stuff Jimbo!!!!! And that pikes the perfect eating size. Cut him up in chunks, beer batter him and drop him in the fryer.

nastygunz

Thats a sweet table set up...did you make it?

FinsnFur

Yeah I made it several years ago. I was tired of dragging crap out in the driveway, and then having to drag out a hose every time I wanted to clean fish.
A sheet of glass board for the top, which is usually textured so I layed it upside down. And then I used steel coil stock like you'd buy for facia trim, soffit, etc, and bent 3x3 angles for my sides and then the front trough on a brake.
Silicone all the seams and shes good to go.
I have a windshield squeegee laying there and I can hose off the table, then squeegee it down dry. The water runs into a pail at the end of the trough. Dump er out and go eat supper.
The room I build inside my shop,  it's got water and sewer, so it's all pretty handy.
No more big hoses, saw horses, and pieces of plywood out in the driveway. :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Dave

Wow that is a nice cleaning set up.
Quote from: FinsnFur on October 25, 2012, 04:37:42 AM
No more big hoses, saw horses, and pieces of plywood out in the driveway. :nono:
:alscalls: You just described my driveway, except replace trash cans for the saw horses.  And since I live way back off the road, clean up sometimes takes a  little while.

Hidehunter

That is a sweet setup. Im still using the saw horses and the old lady lets me know if my clean up job aint up to par.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Denver