• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Couple Lil River Smallmouth

Started by weedwalker, July 27, 2013, 10:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

My brother, his son and daughter, and I floated a 5 mile stretch of the Rockcastle River today at Livingston, Ky. He doesn't have a kayak (yet) so he took his 12' aluminum boat for him and his kids. I took my lil kayak. The river has been flooded and muddy all year because of all the rain we've had. It's finally getting back to normal now.
The fishing was slow. Just an occasional 8" smallie or a rock bass. We didn't catch very many. The kids had about 10 each, my brother too. The best ones I caught were a 14" and 17" smallmouth.
The highlight of the day was when we were dragging my brothers boat thru some shallow fast moving water. His son slipped on the rocks and went headfirst into the water and his fishing pole went flying into the river. We looked for it quite a while. Finally my niece yelled "I found it" and pulled up a rod. Well, it wasn't his. Somebody else had lost one. So we continue looking. Soon she yells again "I found it" and pulls up a rod. NOPE!! Not his again. Finally we found his and was able to start fishing again. What's the chances of finding two rods in the river before finding the one you're looking for. We got a big laugh out of it.

Okanagan

Great story! 

Go back with a face mask!  When he was a teenager my son and I would targeted a swift bad spot in a river, where many canoeists would flip over at the same place.  The bottom looked like a tackle store.  Does the water clear up some down your way in August or early Sept.?

FinsnFur

:laf: Thats funny. Musta been a bad spot on the river for everyone, lol.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Lol.  Sounds like a fun day !

I was thinkin the same thing,
time for a little treasure huntin !
Scott

weedwalker

Quote from: Okanagan on July 28, 2013, 12:51:47 AMDoes the water clear up some down your way in August or early Sept.?

It's usually clear by mid June. This year we've had so much rain it's just now starting to clear up.

Hawks Feather

It sounds like a good day fishing when you come home with two more rods than when you started.  Are they in good enough condition that you will be able to use them?

Jerry

weedwalker

Quote from: Hawks Feather on July 28, 2013, 09:16:53 AMAre they in good enough condition that you will be able to use them?

Jerry

Yes Jerry. They still looked brand new. They hadn't been in the water long. Two pushbutton spincast ultralight rods & reels.

Hawks Feather

Yes Jerry. They still looked brand new. They hadn't been in the water long. Two pushbutton spincast ultralight rods & reels.

That makes them even better.

Jerry