• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My favorite snack

Started by WldWldWest, August 20, 2014, 09:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WldWldWest

Been catching some decent bluegill last few days, when this day was over I had 52 to fillet and probably threw back about as many, got about 150 in the freezer in 2 or 3 days.
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

coyote101

I'll help catch them if you'll filet them.  :eyebrow:

Good to see you're still alive and kickin' Doug.  :highclap:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

That's some good fishing and eating.  It has likely been 40 years since I caught a bluegill, though I grew up on them.  Like the picture.

HaMeR

Oh yeah!! Mighty fine eatin right there!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Thats a haul right there!  :eyebrow: Good to see ya again
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

WldWldWest

Thanks guy's, Ive probably fished more in the last 3 months than that last 20yrs combined, the whole Kayak thing is a totally different word than what im use to but it is very addictive.

!

slagmaker

bluegills on a ultra light out of a kayak! Now that's the way to do it!!!

Thanks for the pics and taking us along.

I had a little pontoon type personal boat but age got to it and it wernt much to begin with. but crappie and gills from that thing made a rather fun day.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

Nice catch Doug!  Glad to hear your still kickin i have been wondering were you hot off to.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

Thats a nice little giddy-up  :eyebrownod:
I dont think Id stand up though :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

That's cool and ya have a nice yak, it working out well for ya? I have been trying to narrow down to a nice one for fishing.

WldWldWest

Good to see everybody is up and running and doing good!

Actually Jimbo I spend more time standing in it than sitting, had to have one I could stand in as i wanted one i could bowfish out of.

Todd I did a ton of reasearch and this is what I ended with and it is a great platform for what i do, river fishing level l or some ll rapids and open water and such.

!

WldWldWest

This was my first one it was designed to stand on as well but I never could get comfortable shooting or casting standing up on it but for the money it was a cool boat, A bass pro boat
Ascend 128T

!

msmith

Nice outfit. I'll have to show this to my son and nephew, they'll eat it up for sure. Nephew has been trying to fish out of a regular yak like you get at Wally World.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Okanagan

FWIW, my kayak in use yesterday on the Fraser River, looking downstream and then upstream from a gravel bar across the river from where I started.   Most fun toy I ever bought, downright addictive!

Totally different paddling situation:  huge cold river, very swift, almost never fish from the kayak but use it to access gravel bars.  Cold rain, wind and bad weather at times make for big waves and my preference for a sit inside with spray skirt.  If I lived in warmer climes would have a sit on top rigged like WldWldWest.

The channel behind the boat in the pic below is perhaps a third of the river.  Though it may not look fast, it is so swift that in this beamy fishing/surfing kayak I can only paddle upstream for a few yards.  The trees above the rear half of the boat are an island over half a mile long.  I launched on the far side of the channel on the other side of the island from the photo.   Worked hard paddling at a sharp angle upstream and only lost about 50 yards downriver to cross the first 400 yard wide channel to where I could rest on the island.  Went around the downstream end of the island, waded and pulled the boat upstream 300 yards, then paddled in eddies and a slower seam of current along the shore another 300 yards up.  Rested a bit and paddled hard to cross over to the bar where the photo was taken. 

I was mostly exploring and wanted to see if I could reach this area and return rather than my usual of having my wife drop me and then pick me up several miles downriver.  Lotta work for one small sockeye.   :laf:

WldWldWest

Coolest pics ever! :yoyo:
In my opinion well worth 1 sockeye!
Pics like that make me wanna load up and take a road trip with the Yak!
To be honest im probably gonna have a fleet of yak's before its over, tons of different types of water in TN to paddle. Planning on deer hunting outta mine this year if for no other reason than because I can:)

!

msmith

I agree with WldWldWest, well worth it. Anytime your on the water or in the woods, it's worth it.

Great pics guys. Wish I was either place!
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Okanagan

Quote from: WldWldWest on August 28, 2014, 03:53:41 PM
Coolest pics ever! :yoyo:
In my opinion well worth 1 sockeye!
Pics like that make me wanna load up and take a road trip with the Yak!
To be honest im probably gonna have a fleet of yak's before its over, tons of different types of water in TN to paddle. Planning on deer hunting outta mine this year if for no other reason than because I can:)

Great minds...!    :yoyo: :highclap:

I have two kayaks... so far!   :biggrin:

I also keep planning to hunt deer by floating a river with no road access along a stretch and hope to do it this Fall.   There is a wintering area along one side of the river where blacktails from a 50 mile long watershed migrate into during the rut.  Likely snow on the ground in November.  I'd plan to paddle downriver 5-8 miles, camp overnight and maybe two nights, and hunt the mountainside benches above the river.  Drag him downhill, bone him out and stuff him in the yak.  I wouldn't pass one if it stood on shore for me. 

The kind of weather we've been having your yak would work fine for a float down the Fraser to fish salmon.  Wish you were here to join me. 

weedwalker

I got into this kayak fishing a couple years ago. Like WWW said, it's very addictive. It's what I've been doing all summer.

weedwalker

I fish out of this Wilderness Systems Ride 115 X