• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What in sam hell

Started by FinsnFur, April 26, 2015, 12:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

All my time on the river and I've never seen anything like this. Obviously not natural..but who an why? I don't get it.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

Aliens Skulls from planet XX.  :laf: cc

JohnP

Somebody drilled a coconut.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

That is obviously the nesting chamber of a West Wisconsin Waterborer snail :innocentwhistle:

riverboss

Some of the first attempt's to make a bowling ball.

Okanagan

In some rocks on salt water shores there will be holes drilled so perfectly that they look man made, but are made by some kind of mollusk I think. 

gravesco hunter

I don't really know what to make of that

HaMeR

I know exactly what it is!!  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

It's neat!!!!!!!!   :alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

I found out last night from my Dad.
I'm going to go back tonight and get em if theyre still there  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

FWIW I doubt if these are the same, and can't tell the scale size in your pics for sure, but here are a couple of grab shots of rocks with holes bored by sea water pholad (clams?).  Common in WA State around Puget Sound.   Sometimes the holes are so perfect in size, roundness and in such a perfect line that you'd swear they were done by a rock drill.   Most run about the diameter of a man's finger, like the holes in bowling  balls.

FinsnFur

Yep button factory. Me paw says there was a couple of them right down on the river where we found these. I find it interesting that we found these since they date back to the late 1800's. I find it odd also that they pitched em back into the river when they were done  :confused:
I google Prairie DuChein button factory and found these snippits.

From the PDC History page
Around 1895 the clamming and pearl button industry became important. Thousands of people dug clams and sold shells to the button factories. Two large factories and several small ones operated in Prairie du Chien. Only blanks were cut here and then shipped to Lansing or Muscatine for finishing. Clammers kept looking for the big pearl that would make them rich. The Cardin family sold a 54-grain, perfect pearl for $2,000 in 1901 and built the family home with the money.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

that's pretty damn cool!

Carolina Coyote

Who would have ever THUNK  that!  :shrug:  :laf: cc

Hawks Feather

Buttons is one thing that never crossed my mind when I looked at the picture.  Pretty neat.

Jerry

Okanagan

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on April 28, 2015, 04:35:56 AM
Who would have ever THUNK  that!  :shrug:  :laf: cc

Fascinating, especially with the pics and story.  Thanks for solving a true mystery.  Would like to see how they mounted the shells on a lathe and turned out the button discs. 

In the small pic I couldn't even tell for sure that it was a shell, and thought at first that it was just a rock. 

Dave

I'd have never guessed that.  Even reading through the thread I was skeptical until you posted the old time pics.
-Also looks like they could have cut one more button in the shell you found!

nailbender

nailbender

Did note they shipped out of state for the skilled labor. :laf:

iahntr

Hmh. Pretty interesting !
Scott