• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Kayak fishing???

Started by centerfire_223, May 21, 2015, 04:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

I keep going back to look at your blue fishing pics.  That looks like serious fun.  I've heard of fishing for blues since I was a kid reading SportsAfield and Outdoor Life, but never have even seen one.  They have a reputation of being ferocious fighters that attack in schools at times.  Always wanted to fish for them.  Not likely now but fun to see your  pics and read your story.  Makes me ponder taking my kayak out in the salt water for coho salmon this summer, not as strong a fighter as blues but should be fun if I can get into them. 

Query on technique and equipment:  I have been thinking that I should use a shorter rod while fishing in my kayak so that I can net or reach the hooked fish to release it easier.  Your experience?  Looks like a fairly long rod you are using in the pics.  I was thinking about using a 7 foot rod I use on bass and pike.  Would also take a fly rod, and all of mine are 9' or more.  How to release a fish is a good kind of problem!   :biggrin:

weedwalker

Okanagan, 7' rods aren't too bad. Just don't reel the fish up to the tip of it and hold your rod higher. :biggrin:
Actually, what makes the biggest difference in my rods is not having too long of a butt that is always raking your PFD. I use a Fish Grip Jr to land a fish with, if I can't get it with my hand. I have a net, but never take it with me. It's too small anyway.  :laf:

Okanagan

Thanks!  Good info from experience, the best kind, especially on the length of the rod butt.  Some things you don't know till you actually use them on the water.

Had to look up a Fish Grip to see what it was.  :biggrin: I'm going to get one.  I have a net for salmon, big enough for a king, but can imagine the Fish Grip helping me control a fish to remove a hook and release without lifting it into the boat.  Google posts say that grips kill salmon if you use it to lift them out of the water.  The salmon skeleton won't survive hanging the fish's weight either head up or down, plus on heavier salmon the jaw will tear through as I've experienced lifting them with my fingers and hand.   

nailbender

Just traded off my canoe. Only had it out 4 times in two years and now I've been spending all my time golfing with Dad so swapped for a golf cart.

Twas fun but decent water almost an hour away just didn't get used.

riverboss

You can get another boat! But not another dad, great trade in my opinion and I don't even golf.

FinsnFur

Dang thats a sweet canoe too :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

I bit the bullet this weekend, picked up me a kayak. I found this Ascend FS128T for a steel.

I took it out yesterday for a maiden voyage and made out pretty good. It's really a stable boat. I think it will make a great fishing kayak. One thing I did notice is it's definitely not a speed demon. I found out that I will have to fill up the drainage holes with plugs. I get to paddling so fast that water comes up through them. Also how to you keep from getting wet from the water dripping off of the paddle?
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

slagmaker

Looks like a good rig. Looking forward to pics of your catches from it.

You can get a foam rubber ring to put on your paddle witch helps with the dripping. Kind of like dough that stops the water from running down the paddle shaft.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

Quote from: centerfire_223 on June 01, 2015, 05:38:52 AM
Also how to you keep from getting wet from the water dripping off of the paddle?

Drip rings.  Better pics in the post that follows this one.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Kayaks/Harmony_Kayak_Paddle_Drip_Rings_KK4608/index.asp?gclid=CK3x8cTm7sUCFUiPfgodsq8AIw

Google drip rings and click on Amazon and you can find a half dozen designs, some very cheap.  They slide on the paddle shaft and divert water that runs along the paddle shaft from the blade. 

Nice boat, BTW!  Way to make a decisive plunge.  Maybe there is a better figure of speech than plunge  :huh: :eyebrownod:

Okanagan

Drip rings on a paddle shaft.

Yes, that is a lanyard with a small carabineer clip on the end which I attach to the kayak.  Tie absolutely EVERYTHING to your boat that you do not want to lose.  Don't ask how I have learned this wisdom.   :biggrin:

weedwalker

Ronnie, You can use these splash guards on your paddle. They work great!! I put them on my paddle.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DHN4P8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

You can get a 6 pack of foam rubber practice golf balls for a couple bucks. They make good scupper plugs to keep water out.

centerfire_223

I found the golf balls and got those installed. Now for those splash guards, that looks like the ticket. I am headed out this weekend on a fishing trip to Santee Cooper lakes, Moultrie and Marion. I hope to slime it up big time. That is if I can get everything finished on it, that I am working on. I am working to get my tackle crate (igloo cooler) strapped down and some rod holders put on it. Made a kayak dollie to roll it on, but still have to get the axle. Hopefully I can find one of those here at work today. I'll post some pictures when I get it finished.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Dave

Nice looking kayak, Ronnie.  Be sure to leash your fishing rods to your kayak.  I didn't.  :pout:

FinsnFur

I'm jealous :sad: Can you wait a few weeks before you post any fish you get while out in it?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

Before the storms hit last night I got to work on some modifications to my kayak. I got the axle installed last night for the dollie. Moved the anchor trolley so it goes the entire length of the boat instead of only half way. That should help with anchoring in the wind. Going after work to pick me up a 8' tomato stake to make me a stake to anchor down in shallow water and get some stainless steel screws and such.

From what I have read anything that you don't want on the bottom, that's what you don't tie down. I understand tying off your rods while they are in the holders but do you tie off the one your using? Seems like that would get in the way.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Okanagan

Quote from: centerfire_223 on June 04, 2015, 04:47:25 AM
I understand tying off your rods while they are in the holders but do you tie off the one your using? Seems like that would get in the way.

Yep, a lanyard line on a fishing rod in use gets in the way a little but is well worth putting up with.  I use strong small diameter line for my rods, what the climbers call spaghetti cord.  Some 150 lb. test ultra thin diameter braided line would probably work.

Figure out the most of the way place for your use to tie but where it cannot slip off.  Around the rod between trigger spur (if the rod has one) and the reel seat is an option.  On spinning rods with no trigger spur, I have tie around the rod at the reel seat with a wrap around the reel leg.  Keep ends short or tape them off so they don't get sound into reel, etc.

I own two very nice rods that I pulled off of the bottom, one of them a high end custom.   :innocentwhistle:

Dave

Another option for leashing would be an old coiled phone cord (or a car charger phone cord).  The coils allow it to spring out when needed and sort of stay out of the way and small when close to your body (or attached to the yak).  I just ordered some velcro so I can tape some velcro on to the end of the cord.  The velcro attaches around the foot of the reel.  The other end of the phone cord gets some type of clip for quick clipping off the kayak and attach to your life vest. 

Dave

A picture's worth a 1,000 words

weedwalker

I don't tie down the rod in my hand. I usually take 3 rods with me, and between the 2 flush mount rod holders, my rods get changed from one side to the other a lot as I switch rods during the day. The 2 that I'm not using at the moment have a piece of 1/4" bungee cord with carabiner clips on the end that I clip around the rods while in the holders.

nailbender

Can't wait to see the big fish pics! Have fun!