• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Kayak fishing???

Started by centerfire_223, May 21, 2015, 04:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

I took a little trip this past weekend down to Santee Cooper lakes and fished. Caught several nice bluegills in the lake but got lucky when a neighbor of my friend came by. He invited me to fish his 20 acre pond. All I can say is AWESOME fishing in there. Wound up fishing 2 mornings and one evening, caught about 30 nice 2-3 pound bass. They would hit almost anything. Caught the biggest majority on a fluke, didn't matter what color it was. If I could have caught everyone that bit, I would have 75 fish. Can't wait to go back!! Here are a couple of hero shots.

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

Oh shoot, sorry about that Jim!!
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Okanagan

You got a couple of magazine cover shots!  Great pics and better fishing.

weedwalker

Ronnie, now that you've had the kayak out and tried it, what do you think about it?

centerfire_223

The first time I had it out I was just paddling it around, trying to get the feel of it. I liked it but wasn't that impressed with it, if you know what I mean. To start with I felt like it was a little wobbly when I stood up. But the more I stand in it now the more comfortable I feel. Plenty of room in it, couldn't ask for more in a kayak. The paddling, it's a little slow but not that bad. I bought a 230cm paddle but I really need a 240cm or maybe even a 250cm. For a first kayak I don't think you can go wrong with it. Will I keep it, maybe for a while till I find another deal on what I really want.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Dave

Wow!  That's a nice find - a 20 acre lake full of willing bass. 

Dave

I just made four of these leases in about half an hour or so. 
Very simple process - here is the link

I used a wooden dow and about eight feet of .095" weed eater line.  Also, you need to drill holes in either end of the dow for the line to go through.
Be sure to watch the trick for getting them to be so tightly wound.  Really compresses the leash and keeps it out of the way.
I used velcro to attach the leash to the boat and then the cork grip. The leash is about 6" long.

Okanagan

That is really nifty, especially reversing the coil.  Gotta make some of those.  Wonder how they hold up when mashed or bent sharply in the middle of the coil etc. as happens sometimes in field use.   

Hawks Feather

Quote from: centerfire_223 on June 09, 2015, 07:52:25 AM
Oh shoot, sorry about that Jim!!

I don't think that you REALLY are sorry.    :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

FinsnFur

Yah  :pout: I dont think he is either.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

So whats it like when some hot headed, urban born, concrete jungle monkey, blazes by you with a 200hp Evinrude while your out there? Does it get overly sketchy or not really?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 26, 2016, 11:40:08 PM
So whats it like when some hot headed, urban born, concrete jungle monkey, blazes by you with a 200hp Evinrude while your out there? Does it get overly sketchy or not really?

No problem in my sit inside kayak (SINK).  I don't even turn the bow into such waves anymore but pretty much ignore them and just ride them out.  Can't speak for the sit on top (SOT) kayak fishermen.  In my waters, big whirlpools and strainer log jams are my only concern.  Power boats whizzing past at night concern me and I shine my head light to show as much of the boat as possible on the side toward the approaching boat.  Nobody has ever come close to me.   

A few years ago a guy who fits your driver description blazed past a few of us as we fished a gravel bar island.  We all waved and yelled frantically to warn him that he was going warp speed toward a shallow gravel bar but he hit it full speed.  Spectacular racket.  Would have liked to see the bottom of his hull and the prop end of his outboard.  He had a kicker raised up to get him home, but he was still drifting silently down river the last we saw him. 

FinsnFur

I love it. Carma can be a bitch.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

weedwalker

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 26, 2016, 11:40:08 PM

I doesn't bother me at all on my sit-on-top. It just bobbles over the waves. My kayak will take a bigger wave than my bass boat ever would.

FinsnFur

Interesting

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

centerfire_223

I'm with Weedwalker, I don't even pay it any attention. My kayak is really stable, I have stood on one side to try and tip it. So far I haven't turned it over.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

I'm surprised they are so stable, but thats definitely a good thing.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

I cant stop thinking about this. I been looking up different kayaks and things regarding fishing with them for two weeks.
I'm kinda convinced I want one.
Pros and cons..The thoughts of getting into some holes others cant, excites me. Getting the *@%! away from the mainstream is always a bonus too.
The confinement/restriction of being in a boat that small though kinda has me wondering.  :wo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 05, 2016, 10:51:40 AM
I cant stop thinking about this. I been looking up different kayaks and things regarding fishing with them for two weeks.
I'm kinda convinced I want one.
Pros and cons..The thoughts of getting into some holes others cant, excites me. Getting the *@%! away from the mainstream is always a bonus too.
The confinement/restriction of being in a boat that small though kinda has me wondering.  :wo:

Go for it!  You will love it.

I have a SINK but would guess that a stable SOT would be a better choice for your kind of fishing.  I like what I hear about them being stable enough to stand up in, access stuff inside hatches while on the water, get back on if you fall off or overturn the boat, etc.  With a sit inside you are kind of trapped in the confining cockpit.  You don't get in or on a sit inside -- you put it on and wear the boat.  You feel every ripple and can move the boat by shifting your hips etc. and you either love that feeling of being connected with the water or you hate it.   

Both kinds of kayak have very low center of gravity when sitting and waaay more stability than you might expect.