• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Walleye anyone?

Started by FinsnFur, June 07, 2006, 09:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

The walleye are running up here in the Mississippi  :eyebrow:  someone must have some tales to share.
Anyone getting any?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Rick223

Im goin out to try to jig for em now.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

weedwalker

We have a lake here in Ky called Laurel Lake at Corbin,Ky. It's full of walley but I'm stumped about how to catch them. It's a deep lake, 150'-180', with straight down cliffs at the bank. On one end of the boat it will be 20' deep and 120' on the other end. Mostly big rock boulders on the bottom to get snagged on. My freind at the DNR said they net state record walleys every year. 20+ pds. Everybody here fishes for bass, nobody fishes for the walley. I know it would be a goldmine if I could figure out what to catch them on. I've done a lot of walley fishing up north, and have tried some of the ways that worked up there, but it ain't working here. :confused: :shrug:

FinsnFur

You set tight weedwalker...I'll be there A.S.A.P.  :yoyo:

Have you tried minnows or other live bait with a good heavy weight to hold er down, and just jig it around the bottom? That's how we do it up here on the Mississippi.

Another thing is, the way you describe the lake....those shelves should be ideal.  :wink: Set your boat just how you described it with 20 foot on one end and 120 on the other, and fish that ledge with some jigging up and down.

There's always the possibility of there being too much natural food in the lake. We have a couple inland bodies of water that are caused by the Mississippi spilling out of her banks during the spring that always hold some whoppers looking for a warm hole to spawn in...but you gotta be tricky because they got more then they can eat swimming around with em...too much of it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

I'll have to give jigging live minnows a try. So far the ones I've caught were on crankbaits and tube jigs while bass fishihg. Most of the bigger walley are caught on nightcrawlers by people catfishing. This lake was once an excellent bass lake, but with multiple tournaments on it every weekend it's beginning to become known locally as "The Dead Sea". Switching to walley fishing could make it interesting again. The fish are there, I just have to figure out how to get 'em in the boat. :confused: