• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

1st pond trip

Started by Dave, March 12, 2016, 06:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

We've been getting some nice sun soaked days, a few in the 70's.  It's really heating up the local ponds.
My buddy and I fished a local pond surrounded by townhouses and a jogging trail.  Really not supposed to fish there, but never get hassled and have seen a few others there over the years.
The pond is probably 1-1/2 to 2 acres in size.

The action was fast, but most of the bass were on the small size. Between the two of us we must've caught 70+ bass.  The biggest ones (about 4of them) were maybe 3 lbs.
Here are a few shots of the better ones we caught.

They really wanted it, too.  Everything I caught was on a Mepps #3 spinner.  Great time!

Dale

if there is that many small fish it may be time to thin the herd, make some room for the ones left to grow... can you see any forage,  minnows, sunfish, crawfish anywhere around?...

at any rate, looks like you had a few good ones there...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

Okanagan

Wow!  That's terrific fishing! 

Great pics. 

FinsnFur

Thats what I'm looking forward too  :eyebrow: We still got a little bit of ice up here though.
Looks like a nice place to spend the afternoon, Dave.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Quote from: Dale on March 12, 2016, 07:32:53 AM
    if there is that many small fish it may be time to thin the herd, make some room for the ones left to grow... can you see any forage,  minnows, sunfish, crawfish anywhere around?...

at any rate, looks like you had a few good ones there...
Dale, I wouldn't want to keep anything out of this spot - I think a lot of chemicals flow into this from the lawn maintenance etc. going on with the townhouse development.  Seems like everything flows into it.
There are a ton of bluegills of all sizes and I saw several schools of minnows.  I know there are some nice size bass in there as we have caught a few in the past that were probably 5 lbs (roughly 20/21" long, but no scale).  For whatever reason they weren't active.
By late spring/early summer it gets choked up with plant life and you can only fish weedless stuff.