• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Kayak anchors

Started by FinsnFur, March 17, 2016, 07:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

FWIW cont.

I have two ways to tie to a river snag, etc.  One is a length of cord with a climbing carabineer on one end.  Clip the carabineer to the boat rigging and tie the other end of the cord to the overhanging limb etc. with a slip knot.  One pull and you are free, a short line trailing in the water.  I tie the line to the carabineer with a slip knot also, just in case.

Another way to tie your kayak to something is a jumper cable grip jaw, again clipped to the boat with a short line, less than arm's length.  Grip the jaws onto kelp, limb on a snag, etc.  One quick squeeze and you are free.  I use this mostly when fishing salt water kelp beds.

The line to all such devices should attach to the boat BEHIND the cockpit.  I tie close behind, within easy reach.   When a fish bites, he will pull the boat toward himself.  If the boat is tied behind the cockpit, then the bow pulls toward the fish, where you naturally are facing.  If the line is attached ahead of the cockpit, then the stern of the boat is soon pointing toward the fish, making you fight him behind you as you sit in the cockpit.   I'd never make such a mistake and this is pure conjecture of course, but I imagine that fighting and landing a salmon sized fish backwards while locked in a sit inside kayak cockpit would be difficult.   :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Quote from: Okanagan on March 19, 2016, 12:03:23 PM
  I'd never make such a mistake and this is pure conjecture of course, but I imagine that fighting and landing a salmon sized fish backwards while locked in a sit inside kayak cockpit would be difficult.   :biggrin:

:alscalls:
I've been their in a 10 foot jonboat. Not as sketchy as the sit in kayak but still no fun.
I have used the brush gripper you describe while cat fishing in a flat bottom. They are slick and I have considered picking one up.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com