• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Cable Restraints

Started by zack.klan, September 25, 2016, 07:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zack.klan

This is my first year of trapping in North Western PA. Yesterday I took my cable restraint certification.

I know what I need to construct the restraints, how to set them up, and some ideas of where to set them up.

Does anyone else use cable restraints for coyote and fox? If so, what methods do you use? Where do you put your sets at and how do you determine where?

Any tips, hints, or tricks would be much appreciated.
Zack

FinsnFur

I surprised no one replied in here. I'm not sure there's too many trappers that hang here. Heck trappers are a dying breed all together which is kind of a shame. I wish there were more like there used to be. Most trappers are pure outdoorsman, unmatched by many.
Fence lines and corner posts is about all the info I can give you. I dont trap personally, dont have the time, but I was around it for years as my brother has actually made truck payments trapping before.
Look for hair caught in the lower run of barbwire indicating a place where they cross. Look for paths in the vegetation leading to it, etc.
I'm sure you know this, but hair in the top runs usually means jumping deer.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Quotetrappers are a dying breed all together

C'mon now Jim...I ain't dead yet man! In all honesty a lot of "trappers" just go into hibernation when the market goes down. They're still out there, but they aren't really the "Pure outdoorsman, unmatched by many" that you speak of.

Anyway, back to the question. Jim is spot on with the location aspect, just make sure to not set your CR too close to any fence or brush that would cause an entanglement situation. The location needs to be free of anything that will cause the CR to become a snare and strangle the animal when caught.

And Nastygunz pointed out an outstanding source of information for trapping and snaring. Get on there and get registered and ask away. There are archived topics too so look in there for answers, tips, tricks, etc. before asking questions. The answer can almost always be found before you ask. Oh and look in the "Trap Shed" for good deals on traps and equipment as well.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/9/1/Land_Trapping_Archive

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/4/1/Trap_Shed

pitw

I figure cable restraints are bad business period.  I snare to kill my target and that ain't what the OP wanted so I didn't respond.
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

Im a hibernating trapper myself!  I  used to specialize in the leaning pole trap for fisher cat !  Best bait was a red pine squirrel 😉👍

nailbender

There is no real answer for this type of question. Every trail has it's own little qwirks/opportunities. Try to look from the animals height and do your work from off the trail. The less scent or disturbance, the less likely the animal is to detour around your set.  Good luck!

nastygunz

Wildlife inventory with trail cameras  :wink: Rake up some ground then check for tracks!