• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Public Service Announcement

Started by JohnP, August 07, 2017, 01:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

News Release Date: July 10, 2017

WASHINGTON â€" In order to meet requirements set by legislation passed by Congress in December 2016, the price of the America the Beautiful â€" National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass will increase from $10 to $80. The change will take effect August 28, 2017. Pass holders are given lifetime access to more than 2,000 sites and parks. The fee increase will support critical investments in maintenance projects at national parks and federal recreational lands nationwide.

For those that meet the age requirement you should really buy one.  I have had one for many years and have saved many hundreds of dollars.  On our first trip to Yellowstone I thought I would be the only one to get in free since I was the card holder.  Everyone in the car was admitted free of charge, four adults and two kids.  Many states, at least in AZ, also honor the card at state facilities.

You can buy it here:   https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/07-10-2017-senior-pass.htm
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

slagmaker

I usually get a state parks pass here in Indiana. Well worth the money.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

Yep, buy it NOW if you are over 65.  At least I think 65 is the minimum age.  I have had one for several years but when we heard that the price was going up, we stopped by a national park office recently and my wife bought hers.  This spring we visited Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Arches, Canyonlands, Natural Bridges and probably a few others I can't think of in the big red rocks Four Corners area at no charge.  The per person per day rate would have been way over $100.  Took Coulter up to Mt. Baker at no charge (though we didn't have a pen and didn't fill out the required paperwork they wanted anyway  :biggrin: ).

Also launched my brother-in-law's boat for free at a State park boat launch when we went shad fishing on the Columbia, saved I think it was $10.  All due to the Senior Discovery Pass.  Get one if you are old enough.  No sense not to. $10 this month, $80 next, and it lasts for the rest of your life.  It gets you and your car load into all national parks and many other kinds of parks for free.   You don't have to go to a national park to buy one but I don't' know if you do it online or at a post office or where.

bambam

Funny how we have pay for access to our land. Screw congress.  :argh:

Hawks Feather

Been there and did that!  Heck of a deal at $10 and if you haven't reached the age yet get one when you can.  Travel just a couple of times the $80 pass will be cheap. 

Jerry

FinsnFur

DO they have one for "not quite a senior but feel like one"?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Quote from: Okanagan on August 07, 2017, 08:53:44 PM
Yep, buy it NOW if you are over 65.  At least I think 65 is the minimum age. 

The minimum age is 62.   Well worth the 10 bucks.   Thanks for the heads up, John.