• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Weather reports from your area? Freezing rain here

Started by Okanagan, December 28, 2017, 12:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Ice broke down trees and power lines here, power went out twice, second time for 9 hours, no internet access from yesterday mid-morning till now.

Every ten years or so this place will get ice several inches thick.  This time it is only about an inch thick due to melting thinner once in awhile part way through the three or four day process.   Still raining lightly but temp a smidge above freezing so the ice thickness is holding about even, melting as much old ice as freezing new. 

FWIW the power went out with a pie in the oven but it had baked for 25 minutes so I left it to coast with the oven door not opened for another hour, and it baked almost perfectly. 

Pics below from yesterday morning when ice was over half inch thick.  Still figuring out Imgur sizes of photos.

This morning.  I pull up the windshield wipers off of the windshield and leave them that way during storms so that they are out of the ice when I clear the windshield.

JohnP

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

pitw

Glad the pie got done. :yoyo:

Driving the vehicle would be like riding a curling rock.  Only you won't know if you are gonna do an out turn or in turn takeout. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

The ice weight broke a cross arm on a power line tower for the main power line that crosses the Fraser River.  120K people without electrical power for awhile, some still without.

John, just seeing your name reminds me of those pics you have posted of your back yard and sipping patio in the Arizona sun!   

We keep the Zuki in the attached garage.  We never drive anything but the Suzuki when it is snowy and my wife can get in it without going out in the snow or ice.  Also,  I can load it with hunting gear, drive it in the garage and never unload it though I take out certain items when we drive around town.

nastygunz

That ice looks like one of those situations when your car freezes solid and you can't get the doors open to get into it. Been there and done that more than once.  Last year I had to run a heat gun out to my rig in on the driver side door run it around the edge of the door to it warmed up enough then I got a big huge screwdriver stuck it in the crack to pry the door open enough to get my hand in to pull the door open ! Real pia! Then there is pulling up to a drive-through window to get your morning coffee and your power windows frozen solid shut . 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

5 SHOTS

It was -35*  here this morning, but they are threatening us with a high of -12* by afternoon.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

FinsnFur

Wow! Thats a lot of ice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FinsnFur

We're having another heatwave

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

You can have the deep cold.  But I'd prefer that to the ice we've had lately.  Every day the weather forecast says it will warm up tomorrow.  Day after day it doesn't.  Pics from this morning, though the ice melted a bit yesterday afternoon.

Ice on the trees.  God's ornaments.  :biggrin:  My camera doesn't come close to capturing it. 

Below is looking down at a tree in the neighbor's yard.  The fork in the tree broke from the weight of the ice and fell on their fence.

Okanagan

The safety video linked here says that freezing rain kills more people per hour than any other kind of weather, including tornadoes etc.

Okanagan

Last night with clear sky and full moon, the ice covered trees looked like crystal chandeliers lit by the moon.  We turned off all of the lights in the house to see the ice covered trees in the little park behind our place. 

Every day they predict a warm afternoon and when that doesn't happen, they predict it to warm up the next day. Hasn't happened.  Another storm is on the way.  Catch some rays for us, John, and maybe dig some unfrozen dirt around a flower in your garden.   :biggrin:

Our streets and main roads are bare but sidewalks and parking lots are treacherous.  The most dangerous ice is the invisible thin stuff on concrete.  It is safer to drive than to walk anywhere right now.   

Dave

Great video link Clyde.  I'll make sure my kids watch it.  Be safe on that ice out there!

Okanagan

Thanks.  I was surprised at how good that video is re freezing rain. Dangerous but wow is it ever pretty.  A valley half a mile from here is a drive though a fairyland land of lacey ice (with enough limbs and trees down to look like it was hit by artillery.)  A big apple tree a block from here fell over, uprooted, across the sidewalk and outer lane of a four lane street.  It has been there all week.  Cars can get past and the city has much bigger problems.

Looks like you may have some freezing rain coming your way.  It is the only weather event that makes anyone in our family cancel a trip, other than snow too deep to drive.  My bold rambunctious son turned around and went home on Christmas Eve within a half mile of his house, skipping a family get together.  Crazy slick.  30 years ago about 1:00 AM in Portland, OR, I slid through a downtown intersection at about 10 mph.  No traffic.  At the next stop sign, I slowed to 7 mph by the speedometer and started braking half a block before the stop sign.  I slid through it in slow motion, slower than a stroll.  Makers of bearing strive to engineer such a frictionless surface!  New studded tires are the only marginal help, and I dislike them for other reasons.

The two places most prone to freezing rain that I know are the lower Columbia River and the lower Fraser River.   Both have a deep canyon cutting through coast mountains that channels cold winter inland air to meet moist Pacific coastal air.  Both have a freeway long the river and both are notorious for ice storms and freezing rain.  Driving up the Columbia River Gorge when in college, ice built on my moving windshield wipers till each was the size of a baseball bat.  I was stupid enough to stop, break off the ice and keep going. 

pitw

We hit 30F with sunshine today. :yoyo:
Folks are finding where their water leaks are now and 1 outta 3 customers at the local UFA are there for plumbing. :pout:
I went for a 10 mile drive and saw 2 beauty coyotes, 6 moose, 5 WT's, 9 Muleys and tracks at the end of a dead end road that musta left a brown streak on the seat of the person driving.  He/she somehow missed the sign and the big corner post which I woulda said was near impossible.   :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Interesting video Clyde.  :congrats:
Nasty I heard your forecast tonight.  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

Ill be blasting through that 14 inches of snow and 40 mph winds on my way to work in the big ford like it was a sunday stroll in the park!... Just about that time of the year to start thinking about wearing a coat 👍🇺🇸😉.  In conditions like this i usually get to work have a coffee settle In and start thinking about actually doing something and then the CEO sends an all company email and tells everyone to go home! 🤔🖕.. In hazardous conditions like that I swap out my .38 snubby for the big Glock 17, need more firepower out there in the blizzard.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Okanagan

Nasty, that is a mean and nasty forecast up your way.  Stay safe. 

Went across the line yesterday and was astounded at the ice in the little border town of Sumas, WA.  Ice 3 inches thick over everything!  Main street highway south was clear but side streets were deep potholed ice.  Fields and parking lots looked like frozen lakes.  I stopped to check our PO box but the  parking lot at the PO was too slick for me. I got out, hung on to the car for a moment and gave up.  Too slick and hard to risk these old bones just to check the mail.  I pulled by the outside letter drop, put in a letter and then the car would not move when I started to drive on.  I thought I was in park but no, the tires were spinning so smoothly that it felt like we were in park.

Added:  a crow tried to land on our garage roof yesterday but could not hang on to the ice.  Moderate slope.  He would land, slide down, flap, claw at the ice with his feet and run in place like a cartoon character but never could get a grip.  He tried three times then gave up and flew over to sit in a tree.