• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Minus 45* to cold to call ?

Started by Coyotes-R-Us, February 09, 2018, 08:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyotes-R-Us

:confused: :shrug:
Planning a dog trip this weekend. The forecast is light wind but -28* and -45* wind chill.
All the areas schools are closed today because of giant snow fall, buss routes are a mess.
It's about 100 miles one way all gravel .
Are we wasting our time ? We have called successfully in -37* air temp but it is an extreme way to go. for sure.
It takes the coyotes a LOT longer to respond or come in and there not moving for any food sounds. You have to really PI$$ them of to get them to move. :madd:
Anyway I think we will try, if we cant get there we will just have to hunt where we get stopped...
old is the new young

JohnP

Yeah, I know what you mean, only expect to get up to 78 today.  Tough getting out when it's that warm in February.  Y'all have a good day.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Quote from: JohnP on February 09, 2018, 08:34:18 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean, only expect to get up to 78 today.  Tough getting out when it's that warm in February.  Y'all have a good day.

John always has a way of making us Northern folks feel good. 

Jerry

pitw

Hunting at 140 is productive and fun.  You may wanna leave the flip flops at home. :wink:  Critters gotta eat and at -40 they really need sustenance so if you set up close to them , they will come.  Skin them quick as the legs freeze up in a hurry though.
I say what I think not think what I say.

JohnP

Hey Jerry, just trying to be helpful like the good guy that I am.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Coyotes-R-Us

Ok we're back.
It was cold and we had to use snowshoes but the sun was out and we saw coyotes on every set.
Problem was none of them wanted to fight.
They would just appear on a rise sit down listen to our trash talk then simply walk away to do what ever coyotes do when there not coming in to be shot.

It was a little COLDER then what the forecast called for, kinda.
On the flats it was only -18 but the wind was close to 10 mph. When we dropped in to the river bottoms and big coulees it was from -27 to -35 but the wind was lighter by a lot. At -35 any wind sucks but we had the right stuff on and the sun was out so not as bad as it sounds.

old is the new young