• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

The TractorGrease Cafe

Started by Okanagan, February 20, 2018, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Real café.  I gotta stop there and eat some time, though the name doesn't do much for my appetite.  It is the last business out on a long but dead end road up a river watershed where I look for mountain lion tracks.

Below is across the river from the café on my way back from the end of a logging road yesterday.  The only vehicle tracks are mine, made on the way in.  Bobcat, coyote and deer, but no lion tracks.

centerfire_223

Wow that is some pretty country!
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

I love the looks of those mountains in the background.
I got to show my daughter that greasy cafe picture LOL she thinks she's a farmer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

I'll bet they serve some darn good food.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

pitw

So do ya ever grab your hang glider and jump off the edge of them roads for a look see? :wo:
I'll bet that would be fun and with all the thermals you could probably land back at the car. :fingerx:
or not. :mad3:

I've ate off greasy tractors. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

riverboss

Sadly all the good greasy food places are gone locally.
You can't get a piece of pie around here unless you go to the grocery.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on February 23, 2018, 06:37:23 PM
So do ya ever grab your hang glider and jump off the edge of them roads for a look see? :wo:
I'll bet that would be fun and with all the thermals you could probably land back at the car. :fingerx:
or not. :mad3:

I've ate off greasy tractors. :biggrin:

Hmm...  good query and makes me think.  Am surprised to think back and realize that I've never seen a hang glider in that entire valley.  The next valley over is loaded with hang gliders.  This valley has zero cleared farm fields except the bottom couple of miles, is narrower and very broken steep terrain which makes for sharp changes in air currents with not much room to maneuver and hardly any safe landing places other than on the highway along the bottom.  This valley has some glaciers and snow fields hanging pretty closely above the steep valley walls, which I'll bet create some vicious down drafts of cold air.

The next valley to the north is the much broader Fraser Valley.  It has a number of developed launch places high on the sides with roads to them, more predictable thermals I suspect, a LOT more room to maneuver and many broad fields and open meadows for landing. Most of the year round snow fields and glaciers are set back farther from the valley walls. 

Okanagan

Update for the gourmands among us:

Had a late lunch at the Tractor Grease Cafe.  The hamburger was expensive and pretty good with great fries.

It is mainly a live music joint, but nothing was going on Sunday afternoon while I was there.  A man nearing 60 and a well preserved woman of the same age were flirting self-consciously and a little too loud but OK.  I think he runs the joint and she came to play guitar at a jam session later in the afternoon.  Some oldsters and one young long hair with guitars and such were straggling in as I left at 3:00 pm.  One paunchy codger sat in a corner and practiced some good guitar riffs.  I shoulda stayed.

They have live bands about three nights a week, from folk to rock to Celtic to bluegrass and undoubtedly some country.  If it checks out a little more, I'd like to take my wife to a bluegrass night. 

nastygunz

This is the local greasy spoon, legendary! The local folk call it Pigs & Hogs :yoyo:...GREAT vittlin:

http://www.pandhtruckstop.com

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on March 26, 2018, 12:38:07 AM
This is the local greasy spoon, legendary! The local folk call it Pigs & Hogs :yoyo:...GREAT vittlin:

http://www.pandhtruckstop.com

Looks good! How can you beat a truck stop with good food?

I like truck stops.  Several times when coming out of the bush after a long stinky absence from a real bath, I've stopped at truck stops for a shower and a meal somebody else cooked.  They generally have real food that has never thought of presentation.  There is a big one in LaGrande, OR I've hit on my way out of Hell's Canyon a few times. Ditto for one in Cache Creek, BC and one in Ellensburg, WA we've hit when coming out of the Colockum elk country.

Truck stops also have stuff for sale that you don't find elsewhere.  I keep intending to buy and try a cooker/heater small tub style oven I saw in one near Gallup, NM.  It runs off of a vehicle cigarette lighter and should produce hot food on cold mornings hunting out of a vehicle.