• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

IDPA

Started by KySongDog, May 06, 2007, 06:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I shot an IDPA classifier yesterday for the first time.  Had a case of the nerves to start with but finally settled down some as the stages progressed.    :whew:   Ended up classifying as Marksman.  Got a WHOLE lot to learn but, hey, this IDPA stuff is FUN.  Wish I had started a long time ago.  And the best part is.............the targets don't shoot back!   :roflmao:

Anybody else shoot IDPA? 

Semp

Arkyyoter

I shot IPSC for years.....was about a half a percentage point off master when I quit.....back in the old days, when I could see and was a LOT quicker  :shck:

Joe

KySongDog

Quote from: Arkyyoter on May 06, 2007, 02:07:11 PM
I shot IPSC for years.....was about a half a percentage point off master when I quit.....back in the old days, when I could see and was a LOT quicker  :shck:

Joe

:bowingsmilie:   :bowingsmilie:  I can only dream of shooting at your level.  There are a few (very few) guys in my gun club who are ranked IDPA Master.  They are very fast and, above all, very accurate.   My goal is to make it to Sharpshooter rank someday.  I wish I would've discovered this sport earlier in life.  Its a challenge and a lot of fun.

Johnny

awh

Give us some detils Semp. I've never heard of it and it sounds like something me & Cam might want to try.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

KySongDog

awh

Here is the IDPA web site.   http://www.idpa.com/

On the left side of the screen click on Club Information, then click on Club Listing.   A map should appear, then click on your state and you should see a list of clubs in your area.

The IDPA web site has all the info for ya.  Basically, they set up stages of fire that resemble every day self defense situations. You are judged by time and accuracy of fire.  The lower the score the better.  (be fast AND accurate).  Poor hits or (heaven forbid) misses result in time being added to your score.  Also, don't shoot the good guys!     :biggrin:   That really adds time to your score. 

The rankings are Novice, Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, and Master.  When you first start shooting you will be Unclassified until you shoot the classifier stages.

Also, they have different divisions such as CDP (.45 1911, Springfield XD45, etc), ESP (.40 cal , etc), SSP (Glock 9mm, etc) SSR (stock service revolver), and a couple of others.  The web site will tell you all about it.

Ya need a basic gun (they don't use "race" guns like they do in IPSC), 3 or 4 mags, a concealment holster, and a couple of magazine pouches.  Also, a concealment garment (jacket, vest, long tailed shirt, something to cover the gun)

Try it.  I think you and Cam will enjoy the challenge.   :yoyo:

cb223

I have only shot IPSC. It is the same but different. Yes it is a freakin blast!

Here is a link to an IPSC stage.

CHAD

awh

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check it out.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Frogman

Hey guys, I agree that IDPA is a great shooting sport.  I have been shooting matches at Ft. Harmar Rifle Club near Marietta, OH for several years now.  After getting my concealed carry permit I felt it was my responsibility to learn as much as I could about shooting a handgun.  Someone gave me a flyer about a match to be held at Ft. Harmar and I took my 1911, a cheap holster, and some gun show magazines and found my way to Harmar's oudoor range North of Marietta off Rt.# 26.  I watched for a while and started thinking, hey this really looks like fun, I think I can do this.  I got my stuff out of the car and paid the $10.00 match fee and headed for the stage that looked easiest.  Before I even got to shoot one of the more experienced shooters introduced himself and asked if I was a new shooter.  He then offered to lead me around the different stages and help me get started.  I decided that I would not try to go fast, just shoot as accuratly as possible.  It was fun, but I made lots of mistakes and I learned that my equipment needed some upgrading.  All the range officers were very helpful and encouraging to me as a new shooter.  When I got my scores a in the mail a few weeks later I placed low, but I was not at the bottom.  I could see that there were things I could do to practice that would improve my skills.  Kind of like learning about coyote hunting!!  At the next match i did alittle better.  Practicing the classifier mentioned above is good way to improve.  The classifier is a 90 round course of fire that is identical for everyone.  IDPA scoring is a combination of accuracy and speed.   For each round in the center of the target you get no penalty.  Rounds outside the center add either 1/2 second or 1 1/2 seconds to the time it took you to shoot the stage.  Total the times plus the penalty times and lowest time wins.  The classifier utilizes many of the skills needed to do well.  By scoring low enough you can get classified in one of the catagories.  But in order to get classified the classifier must be shot at a sanctioned match.  Scenarios or stages are usually set up to resemble a real life situation where you would have to defend yourself with your concealed firearm.  You will probably have to draw your firearm from under a vest or jacket, engage some targets at different ranges, shoot while moving, use cover where appropriate, and do all this safely and quickly.  Sounds like the skills you might need if you ever have to use your ccw for real doesn't it?  After shooting a few matches and learning from some of the more experienced shooter, just like learning about coyote hunting, I started moving up on the score sheets.  I enjoyed it so much that I felt a need to give something back to the sport.  I took an IDPA Range Officer course and became a certified RO.  After practicing the classifier lots of times I finally got my times down and my first classification was also Marksman.  After lots more matches, learning and practicing I finally made Expert.  I'm probably too old and slow to ever improve on that.  It was really hard and I just barely made the cut.  Well I didn't intend to write a book here, but you guys should give IDPA a try.  Check out the web site listed above, find a club near you and go have a look.  Getting your first scores back from a match is kind of like seeing that first coyote that you weren't ready for and let get away.  You'll say to yourself, "Hey, I can do this, I'll work at it and do better next time".   Ft. Harmar's web site is   http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/ftharicl/  .  I know a lot of the OH guys are not too far from that club.  May be I will get to be the person who helps you shoot your first match!!  I'm just not too sure, though, that it is as exciting as killing a coyote.  Let me know if I can answer any of your questions about IDPA, you guys are sure helping me with the coyotes!
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!