• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Watch ypur step- rattlesnake!

Started by Bob D, September 12, 2006, 01:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

My Boykin Spaniel got bit above the left leg by a poisonous snake Sunday afternoon. As high as the bite is I figured it was a rather large Timber rattler. The space between the fangs looked to be about an inch and a half. Anyway he spent the night in the emergency animal hospital in Montgomery in critical condition.  He was better the next morning as my wife had to pick him up and take him to our regular Vet where  is  still. The bill  just for the emergency room visit was only $1580 . Doesn't count what the regular Vet will charge. That almost put me in critical condition.  The big snakes are on the move around here, several people have seen large rattlers moving about. It is breeding season for them i believe. Plus it has been hot and very dry and they may be looking for water. Kinda makes me not want to hunt coyotes till the first freeze!
Bob

canine

Man, i hate to hear that Bob, I hope your dog comes through alright. Hope you do too, that's one heckuva unexpected cost. :huh: 

I don't blame ya a bit about not wanting to be out callin and riskin runnin into a Timber Rattler. Fortunately, my part of the state doesn't have any poisonous snakes. I can bet ya if we did, my butt would be waitin. :shrug:

JD

FinsnFur

$1600. WOW  :shck:
I hope he comes through....be thankfull it wasn't you.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

Sorry to hear that Bob, I been there! Had a dog get bit by a copper head a few years ago! Cost me 1000.00! Not good!

Jd,

You been hunten here! We got Rattlers and Copper heads!....lol

Brent

fuzz624

Well guys,i guess it is cheaper to pay a vet bill than get caught killing a rattlesnake in ohio.I think the fine for killing a rattlesnake here in ohio is around 2000.00.It is just my opinion but i think that law is right down stupid.I have no problem with them as long as they stay away from my house.If i see one in the woods ill try my best to avoid it.If i catch one in my yard where my kids play,it is going to be one dead snake.I dont worry to much about copperheads,they tend to be less aggressive.The only other poisoness snake around here is the eastern cottonmouth.Thease snakes are realy agressive.They say that they are rare but i know where there are some strip mine ponds that are loaded with them.I never knew what they were until i was fliping through a field and stream mag. and there they were.Fishing those ponds was never quite the same after that.

Rick223

Sorry to hear about your dog hope he gets up and going soon.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jerry Hunsley

Sorry to hear about your dog. This is somthing for everyone to think about. Is there anyone around that snake proofs dogs. Up here in my home town there is a guy that does that. Here is the proceedure. He gets a few snakes and sews their mouthes shut. Then people bring their dogs and he lays the snake out. The dogs have a shock collar on and when they go up to the snake, he hits them with a shock. After a couple times most dogs won't even go up to a snake and associate the snake with the shock. He charges $40.00 a dog. Last year up here there was a few dogs bitten down on the FT. Pierre National Grasslands. The snakes are on the move up here in the Dakotas, so if you come just be aware of that.

Bob D

Thanks for everyone's concern about my dog. I will be bringing him home this evening. Don't know what to expect but will let everyone know.
Bob

FinsnFur

That sounds like it would work Jerry.....  :huh: well......as long as I'm not around when they do thier sewing.  :innocent whistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bob D

Well the dog is fine except for a drain thats planted in his chest to drain off the seepage. I think he is gonna be fine with everything. I thought he may limp but it doesn't look like it. Man its amazing how fast he came back. When i took him to the animal emergency room Sunday night I thought I would never see him alive again. . He had gone into shock-he was stiff as a board, bleeding like crazy and could barely move. I guess the antivenon worked- he recieved 10 ounces of the stuff. Our Vet said we saved his life by getting him on in to the hospital. He also told my wife something interesting about the day that the snake bite occured. He said there was a small earthquake in the Gulf of Mexice that day ( I didn't know that) and that he got reports of all kind of snake activity ( alot of dogs bit and alot of sightings of snakes ) I guess the snakes felt the earthquake and started moving around?

Rich Higgins

We moved to the Ozarks for two years. Our Collie was bitten three times by copperheads, he was a gentle and sweet soul but not very bright.
Mattie. who spent a lot of time down in the hollows with moccasins and copperheads was never bitten. Back in Az. Mattie occassionally encounters a rattler to and from calling stands and gives them their due respect.
Az F &G recommends that bird hunters have their dogs "snake proofed"
I spoke with one bird hunter that spent $4700 vet bill for a Mojave bite.