• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

AR feed problems

Started by LORDDAL, April 15, 2008, 03:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LORDDAL

I have been reloading for the bigest part of my life and just recently bought an Ar15 bushmaster in 223 got some dies and brass and loaded up some test loads for some reason and I have tried everything form seating depth to case lenght to correct the problem but so far every one seems to jam up this problem has really gotten me a bit leary about even putting another reload in my AR15 but before I sell off my dies and brass I thought Id ask and see if anyone has any suggestions as to where I may be going wrong on this load I have even taken a factory load and done complete measurements and have been almost exact in every aspect
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

FinsnFur

I think I'd try feeding some factory ammo through it. It might not be you at all...the action of the gun might be flawed.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

LORDDAL

factory ammo feeds fine I have shot 60 rounds of factory ammo just playing around it was just the reloads that were jamming
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Kuipdog

Sometimes the receiver will only take slightly undersized casings. RCBS sells a .223 die that is slightly undersized just for guns with a very tight chamber. You might also check that you are using a load specific to an AR and NOT just a .223 load for a bolt gun. I full length size my loads.

Frogman

Lorddal,
        Are you using a Small Base sizing die for your reloads.  I have the RCBS SB sizing die and have had no trouble with my reloads in my Colt AR. 

Check out this thread    http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2782076   for more information on this.  Hope this helps.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Quote from: Frogman on April 15, 2008, 08:14:37 AM
Lorddal,
        Are you using a Small Base sizing die for your reloads.  I have the RCBS SB sizing die and have had no trouble with my reloads in my Colt AR. 

Check out this thread    http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2782076   for more information on this.  Hope this helps.

Jim

Yep, what Frogman said.  Or at least use a FL (full length) die.

Semp

cb223

What kind of jams? Feeding or extracting?   Is the load to light that the bolt is short stroking and doesn't have enough energy to chamber the next round?
CHAD

coyotehunter_1

It also "maybe" a problem caused by the case shoulder accidentally getting bumped back just a "tad bit" too much.

A classic case of "Oh, crap".... forgetting to de-bur the inside of the case mouth before seating bullet.

I named this wildcat cartridge the "223 BOPEYE" .  :laf:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Frogman

Yeah,
   I bet that one would cause some feed problems.   :nofgr:

Jim

LORDDAL

I have a FL die set and the load data was for colt ar 15 according to the book and its jamming up feeding wont feed all the way and I was lucky the jam was really tight I was afraid I was going to have to take it to my brothers over In VA and see if he could get it unjammed but with a little paitence I got the jam loose and have yet to put another reload into my bushmaster

I just was thinking mayb I needed a small base sizing die so would that mean a whole new set of dies or can you just buy it like a crimp die I am going to try and completely redial my seating die and double check my sizer just in case im also going to take the loads I had to a friend with a bolt 223 and see how they feed in it
Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on April 15, 2008, 07:47:33 PM
It also “maybe” a problem caused by the case shoulder accidentally getting bumped back just a “tad bit” too much.

A classic case of "Oh, crap".... forgetting to de-bur the inside of the case mouth before seating bullet.

I named this wildcat cartridge the "223 BOPEYE" .  :laf:
I caught two of these while I was loading my first trial batch and my 4 year old was asking me why I was saying the funny sounding words good thing he doesnt understand what little german I know

Frogman

Lorddal,
            I hope you get it figured out.  My AR shoots Dime sized groups with my reloads at 100 yards and about twice that with factory ammo.

Jim

cb223

Are all the cases trimmed to the same length? If not and you set your crimp die to a short case then the next case is longer it will slightly crush it, like the .223 Bopeye but not near that bad. 

Open your AR up take just the upper without the bolt and chamber check a few, just drop them in by hand. You might also try a few resized cases without the bullet, see if they fit.  If it is something to do with your reloading process  this should find it.

Work your way through your reloading process (WITH OUT POWDER) chamber checking a few after each step. Resize, bullet seated and then crimped.

CHAD

LORDDAL

Quote from: cb223 on April 16, 2008, 04:44:48 PM
Are all the cases trimmed to the same length? If not and you set your crimp die to a short case then the next case is longer it will slightly crush it, like the .223 Bopeye but not near that bad. 

Open your AR up take just the upper without the bolt and chamber check a few, just drop them in by hand. You might also try a few resized cases without the bullet, see if they fit.  If it is something to do with your reloading process  this should find it.

Work your way through your reloading process (WITH OUT POWDER) chamber checking a few after each step. Resize, bullet seated and then crimped.

wow thanks I didnt even stop and think about trying to just drop a few in by hand guess I am so use to bolt actions I never even thought about opening the upper and manually feed em I will give that a try and chamber check after each stage thanks  :yoyo: will have to wait till im off on sunday to try but I sure will do that thanks again  :highclap:

CCP

Sounds like you got some good advice. keep us posted on the results.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

LORDDAL

will do ccp and thanks again guys for all the help frogman was right I already love this place feel right at home  :yoyo:

cb223

How did this turn out? Did you get your AR to work with reloads?
CHAD