• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

270Win for varmints and such

Started by slagmaker, September 20, 2009, 01:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

OK who here has a recepie for a 270Winchester that would be suttable for varmints and things like that? I was thinking a V-Max and I have benchmark and varget at this time.

any suggestions?
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Ridge Runner

try a hornady 110 gr hp in front of a max charge of IMR 4350, always worked well for me.
RR

Hawks Feather

Many years ago I bought a box of 90 grain Sierras and loaded them with 51 grains of IMR-4320.  The equivalent in Varget would be around 49.5 (max load) which sends them down range about 3300 feet per second.  I exploded a few ground hogs with them years back, but find that my .221 Fireball is cheaper to shoot and does a very good job on groundhogs.  The 90 grain is not fur friendly, but if you want to reach out and let them lay it will work.  If I were looking for long range today I would probably use the 130 grain bullets.

Jerry

slagmaker

Not intested in fur or meat so damage can go all the way up to maximum carnage. :biggrin: :yoyo:

I would love to own a 221 Fireball in a XP100 but alas that aint happened,...., YET :innocentwhistle:.

For now it's the 22-250rem or the 223rem. So I am wanting to spice up my shooting selection so I figure the 270 can reach out there and touch ya pretty hard. Lets just see what this Howa can do.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

:doh2: I had a nice stainless Ruger 270, and sold it. My reload guy had an awesome concoction for our using it on our padded prey and I never kept that either.
I'll have to ask him if I remember when I see him next.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

msmith

If this .270 is also your deer rifle, then use the same load you deer hunt with. I done that for a while til I purchased my AR. Opens g-hogs real good.  :eyebrownod:
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Huntinbull

Another bonus to using your deer cartridge recipe is learning the ballistics of that round. I use my 150 grain bullet loads in my 30-06 for ground hogs and even crows and you definitely learn the drop after a few longer shots. Hold-over / sight picture becomes second nature. A deer's vitals or kill zone is about the same height as the body of a standing crow, so you know if you have to hold over the crow, to hold high on the deer's side for a decent hit.
Huntinbull

Christian Outdoorsman. Certified Ohio Hunter Ed and Trapper Ed Instructor.