• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What kind of dog.

Started by muss, February 27, 2008, 10:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muss

I am considering getting a coon hound and don't know what kind to get. I like the looks of the redbones and the fact that they are a little smaller dog , I don't want a great big dog , but don't know what kind of hunters they are. I know I want a female. Have fooled with beagles alot and females seem to handle much better.  any and all help will be appreciated.

David

coyotehunter_1

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Silencer

My buddy's luck with male and female redbones hasnt been all that great.  Of course, it was probably just coincidence.
I'm not putting the breed down, just had 2 bad experiences.

This little female English has been the bomb.  She isnt all that big but can still put the smack down on any ringtail we shoot out.  She's a cuttie as well.

Dixie on tree

I personally love walkers like this guy, he's huge. 

Hammer on tree

Silencer

Maybe I can get my bro to join in the conversation here, he has run coyote, coon, fox, etc etc etc with all differnt types of hounds.

Bopeye

Mountain curs can hammer a coon too. They do however run them differently though.

A hound will be open on track whereas curs are usually silent. There are other differences, but it's all about how you want them to run.

Curs won't get all that big either. Average weight in a female is about 35 lbs. and gritty as can be. My female is absolute murder on game.
She hates housecats by far worse than anything. She will kill and then eat the housecat. I like that part. Get's rid of the evidence....... :roflmao:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Silencer

Quotewhereas curs are usually silent

Bop, once they get them treed, do they open up then ?  I've never hunted with a cur.

muss

I have talked to several guys who don't care for redbones. they all said they look good but like other dogs better.
I got a mountain curr off a buddy to see how I like it. She is nine months old and is treeing squirrels and a house cat. I am going to find me a coon and see what she will do. I like the looks of her. Now just getting some weather to get out and work her a little to see what she will do.
Bop.  How far will currs usually work out before comming back.  Do you walk with the dogs coon hunting or sit and wait like with hounds?
Thanks guys for the input I need all the help I can get with this.

David

possumal

The Yellow Blackmouth Cur also runs more or less silent on the trail, until ready to tree.  Then they really "Speak to 'em" as Mr. Ladner calls it.  I know that the mom and pop of my pups were both treeing squirrels and coons by the time they were 7 months old. Like Bopeye said, they have a lot of grit.  It is in their breeding.  They want to please you and bond with their owner more than anything else.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Bopeye

They run silent on track, but once they have one treed they are hammering at or over 100 barks per minute. Most of 'em can really give ol' ringtail heck in a tree. You can follow them or wait. They are really good at checking back in every little bit. If they don't check back, I'd start listening for a treed dog. Curs a dang site smarter than hounds too. Hounds are a dog hooked to a nose..........no disrespect to hound owners, but curs really do try to please their master. You can teach them to venture out or stick close........it's all about what you want.
:wink:

Bopeye

One more thing. If I didn't already have what I was looking for, I would check out those Ladner Black Mouth curs that Possumal has........I bet they'll kick some butt........ :yoyo:

Ladner knew what he was doing when he bred them. They are very similar to the Kemmer Mtn. Cur. Lot's of grit and gamey.  :wink:

possumal

Bopeye: Thanks for the kind words.  All you say about the curs is pure fact as far as I can tell.  I believe the fact that they want to please their master is what makes them relatively easy to train to stick close and to check in, which is real important if you want to make a coyote decoy dog out of them.  When I hunted in December 2006 with Jerry Hunsley in S. Dakota, we had some really tough conditions, but his dog Wiley just literally amazed me.  I can guarantee you that Jerry has some memories connected to that dog that he wouldn't sell for a million bucks.  He is one smart rascal, and caught on to the ecaller right quick.  It is next to impossible for you to see a coyote coming before he does, and he'll sure let you know about it. He'll let the coyotes know too.  I know it was one of the most enjoyable few days I have ever spent on this earth, and I'll never forget Jerry or old Wiley.
       Mr. Ladner has sold pups all over the country that are being used for a variety of purposes.  Cal Taylor has had and trained several of this breed and likes them a lot.  Some guy in S. Carolina uses his to hunt bobcats, and says if that bobcat ever makes the mistake of jumping out of the tree, his male kills him every single time.  I'd like to see one of those fights.

P.S.  Bopeye: You say that female of yours eats the evidence?  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

muss

The curs really sound like what I want. I will keep those dogs that possumal has in mind. I will keep you posted on what this  dog does. I am hopping to get to work her monday. Tommorrow would be a great day, weather wise but got church in the morning and then have to go to funeral home and then church again. so tommorrow is out.

David