• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

1st blood - 219Donaldson Wasp

Started by vvarmitr, September 15, 2010, 09:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

This is an early benchrest rifle; I'm assuming, built by C.C. Johnson, one of the early great gunsmiths of the time in benchrest circles. Being it's a 219Donaldson Wasp it was probably built before or shortly after the introduction of the 222Rem. The 219DW was the round of choice then.
The action is an Enfield w/ double set triggers.
Finally got 'er out after g'hogs. Slapped this 'em good & hard at 125yds ...

This is for you Dog Dropper ...

The anointing of first blood. :wink:

Does this vest make me look fat? :sad:
:alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:

pitw

Quote from: vvarmitr on September 15, 2010, 09:35:49 AM

Does this vest make me look fat?

Nope.  Must be something else :confused:.

Lovely firearm and a little info on the optics please. :readthis:

Looks like the hog had a hard time alright.
I say what I think not think what I say.

vvarmitr

Hawks Feather

Nothing quite as good looking as a POS scope on a finely built custom rifle.    :rolleye:     I have never shot a 219 but I have always heard that it was an accurate little round.  As for the vest - it looks like it fits and that is all that I am saying.

Jerry

KySongDog

The Indiana Jones hat is definitely covering up some fatness.   :eyebrownod:

HaMeR

Congrats on the 1st blood for the 219DW!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  That's a nice looking rig you got there.

BTW-- The vest looks fine to me too. I think it might be the skinny arms that is giving you the illusion you are alluding to.   :innocentwhistle:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

Quote from: HaMeR on September 15, 2010, 03:45:39 PM
BTW-- The vest looks fine to me too. I think it might be the skinny arms that is giving you the illusion you are alluding to.   :innocentwhistle:
The kindest remark I've received so far.  :pout:
:laf:

Well the scope came w/ the rifle when I got it Jerry. I got a set of Redding dies  :whew:, & 49 pieces of brass w/ it too. A few of 'em were loaded & when I tried it the scope was actually on.  :biggrin:
Just never took the time to swap the scope yet.

BTW - The hat keeps my full head of hair from blowing all over.  :sneer:

dog dropper

Great hog vvarmitr! Great job on the first blood with the 219DW!!!!! :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: I don't know that much about hog hunting, and I was wondering how you hunt them. Do you call them like a coyote, or do you hunt them like I hunt deer, just sitting there and waiting for some thing to come by. Again congrats on the hog!!! :biggrin:
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!!!

Yotehntr

:yoyo:  Congrats on 1st blod vv! ... I don't think it's the vest either.  :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

Quote from: vvarmitr on September 15, 2010, 07:36:42 PM
Quote from: HaMeR on September 15, 2010, 03:45:39 PM
The kindest remark I've received so far.  :pout:

Well those dadgum boots you wear are like a size 17 or something & I know how sensitive you are about your feet so I didn't want to mention them.  :nono: :nono:

:alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Carolina Coyote

Good Shooting James, looks like you got him at his front door, I see the door is still open. cc

vvarmitr

Of all the ways of hunting Groundhogs calling isn't one of 'em.
Now some people will let out a shrill whistle to make the g'hog to stand up to look around. Whenever I do it they beat feet back to the hole.  :shrug:
You can stalk 'em w/ a rifle, pistol, or shotgun. Bow even, but I quit that ... loss to many arrows.  :madd:
Lotsa people will set up in an area were they can view far & wide & snipe 'em off at long range w/ specialized guns.
I do a little of both & a mixture of the two.
In most states there is no restrictions on caliber. So a lot of guys will use their deer rifles to stay familiar w/ their gun. :wink:
My Dad told of an old feller he knew as a kid that had Parkinson's disease. He'd take a chair & a shotgun & go set out by a woodchuck den.  He'd just sit there & shake. After a while he'd see a beady little eye peeking at him. He'd just sit there & shake. After a while of peeking at him & studying him from different holes that ole whistlepig would stick his whole head out & study the old man some more. After a time that g'hog would come right out the hole & go right to eaten like nobody was around. The old guy would let him get out a ways then pull up the shotgun & let 'im have it. The g'hog would take the shotgun from the old man & look up at him & just shrug his shoulders. G'hogs don't know how to use shotguns.

HaMeR: Thanks for reminding me why I don't hunt w/ you very often. Ya BLaBBeR MouTH!  :rolleye:

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

dog dropper

Thanks vvarmitr I had no idea but now I do... it kinda sounds like fun!
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!!!

FinsnFur

:laf: I dont know how I missed this one, but it explains where everyone has been. :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

James... :congrats: on the pasture grizz!!! Super nice ol' shooting iron ya' got there too  :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

possumal

Fine looking weapon, fine looking sodpiggie.  You look fine too in spite of the mean spirited remarks made by others.  :laf: :laf:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff