• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

FoxPro's new Open Country Caller

Started by FinsnFur, February 24, 2008, 12:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Well, they sure do have a similar look to them, but as I think about all the other stuff I own [or wished I owned] and the choices between different brands  :wo: looking similar seems to be pretty common  :shrug:

I kinda like the direction of integrating all the function in a small, remote controlled, footprint. Lighter and less bulky works for me  :eyebrow: As a consumer it's kinda nice to have multiple companies working on providing me choices. Does anyone have some of the key comparable specs on these? Are they truly the same in terms of function, quality, price, etc?
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Jrbhunter

Quote from: nastygunz on February 24, 2008, 09:48:43 PM
speaking of WT callers is it true they are working on a special "snow" edition that will allow the user to push a buton and activate an anti-gravity force field that will actually levitate the user over the deep snow?... :wo:

I have an older model... it just brings the animals to the caller.   :innocentwhistle:

minaskasteve

QuoteHere in America we have a system of business practice that is called free enterprise. I see no problem  with FoxPro's integrity here.

Cool, I'm glad you feel that way since we have been thinking about coming out with a few mouth calls. I will just plan on taking the Killer Call and Cow horn howler that you gave me over to Lincoln Tool and design here in town and see about getting a couple of molds built. They are already building Les Johnsons new calls so they are up to speed on call building.

Rich,

Seriously would you really feel this way if we would have simply sent out voting forms before selecting additional field staff ?
We had absolutely no idea about any pissing matches you had with this other individual.

I have always liked you and really enjoyed coming to your house to hand deliver one of our very first calls. Your hospitality is second to none and your wife is one heck of a cook I must add.

Todd Borland
Minaska Outdoors
"Leading The Way" :madd:
Steve Borland
Minaska Outdoors
877-646-2752
sales@minaskaoutdoors.com
www.minaskaoutdoors.com

Rich

Todd,

Your idea regarding a vote, or at least a little bit of opinion sharing among field staff before taking on new field tester's is a good one. FoxPro and Minaska should both have something like that in place. I have no ill feelings toward the Borland brothers or Minaska products.  You boys are top notch in my book, and are still welcome in my home at any time. The Minaska callers are good also. I tell those who ask, that you can't go wrong with either FoxPro or Minaska. I feel that honesty is the best policy, so I simply tell people the truth.   :wink:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

nastygunz

good one JRB, touche :bowingsmilie: classic looking red fox.

golfertrout

how do u remember all the sound numbers on the minaska?  can u see what is playin or do u have to remember the numbers?   i like the fox pro remote cause u can see what ur playing

THO Game Calls

The FoxPro Remote is great for you young guys,  But us old guys who need reading glasses - well - the concept is nice but the display is too small.

And the display on the remote is just one more thing that can break in the woods.  Along with the knob to select sounds.   

Used to be, a guy could take 3 or 4 hand calls, head out to the woods and kill coyotes.  Now, unless you have 200 sounds and a degree in electrical engineering, you're sunk.

When I hear people extol the virtues of having those 200 sounds, I often wonder if they are out there to call coyotes or be a DJ?

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

DirtyDog

Quote from: THO Game Calls on March 07, 2008, 11:27:22 AM
When I hear people extol the virtues of having those 200 sounds, I often wonder if they are out there to call coyotes or be a DJ?

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Thats is funny right there..........but true.

bigben

yeah I hear ya al.  I normally can narrow down what sounds on the ecall I am going to use to about 10.  the rest are there for convience if need be.  the fox sounds are nice if ya got on hung up and need em to get a bit closer.  somtimes hand calls won't work.  but 95% of the time they are perfect for the job.  atleast at night they are.  I think the biggest dissadvantage is that when someone has 130 or so sounds to choose from they start screwin with the sounds and using 10 different sounds in 5 minutes of calling time.  too much stuff to screw with.  daytime it is nice though to get the sound source away from you. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

golfertrout

as far as the 200 sounds, its nice to have. i have 70 on mine n i use a good bit of them because i hunt yotes, fox, crows, and coons. and i have it in one box.  how many hand calls do u have?  Do they bang against each other when u walk in the woods?  i bet they do. mine i can fit in my pocket. And as far as an elecrical degree, u dont have to have one u just have to know how to push a button and i can see u can do that.  If you can get on the computer you can run the fox pro remote.  It would be my guess that u dont want to spend the money or you cant afford one

CCP

I took all the sounds off mine and reloaded 8 on one bank for coyotes and 5 on another for crows. We cant use birds sounds here other than crow sounds or call coons with an e-caller and don't  need a lot of the others sounds. It is nice having that option though.

When I use the foxpro  or the Minaska I don't look down at my remote anyway so that feature doesn't appeal to me. It's not a bad Idea to have that feature for the ones that want it.

QuoteIt would be my guess that u dont want to spend the money or you cant afford one

I think AL has the WT which is more expensive than either of the above mentioned callers.

I use the Minaska now days when I use an E-caller because I like the features that better suit me. I think if someone likes the features of the Foxpro or WT better they should buy one.

No E-caller will ever take the place of my hand calls but there are some setups I do, that the E-caller gets used on a lot..
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

bigben

Quote from: golfertrout on March 08, 2008, 09:35:37 AM
as far as the 200 sounds, its nice to have. i have 70 on mine n i use a good bit of them because i hunt yotes, fox, crows, and coons. and i have it in one box.  how many hand calls do u have?  Do they bang against each other when u walk in the woods?  i bet they do. mine i can fit in my pocket. And as far as an elecrical degree, u dont have to have one u just have to know how to push a button and i can see u can do that.  If you can get on the computer you can run the fox pro remote.  It would be my guess that u dont want to spend the money or you cant afford one

I can hunt all four animals you listed with two hand calls.  the only reason I say two is a open reed call does not do crow sounds.  and when I hunt crows I aint hunting coyotes fox or coon.  so yeah one call will do it for me. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

THO Game Calls

First, no my calls do not bang together when I walk.  I keep them in my call bag.  Nice and snug and secure.  But you make a good point about a well designed lanyard.  If you need one, I make them, as well as several other guys on this board.  We all make them so our calls do not bang togehter.  I think we all stole the idea from Loren Reese who made the first No Noise lanyards. 

How many calls do I have?  Well, I have close to a hundred I suppose.  I carry maybe 6 or 7, sometimes more   A good caller can make a lot of sounds with a good open reed call.  I carry others because I enjoy using them, or they have special meaning to me.  For some guys, calling is 90% of the fun.   I'm one of them.  Ask Browning204.  I would rather blow a hand call in the woods than shoot the darn coyote when it shows up. 

The electrical engineer line was a joke.   Not meant serioulsy.  I routinely use several editing programs to enhance, change, rearange and do other things with calls for my e caller.

And I do infact own two e callers.  I had a Bandit, but I sold it so I could buy a Wildlife Tech caller.   I also have one of the Minaska Amp and speaker combos.  I use an Mp 3 player with that one.  I guess, between the e callers and the tapes, CD's and other stuff that goes with them, I have close to $1500 tied uo.  Maybe a bit more.

There is nothing wrong with using an E caller.   They have their place and are very effective.   Having 200 sounds may suit the way you hunt.  Being able to read the sounds off the remote is a nice feature.  But as I said, you get a bit older, and you start needing to use glasses to read the fine print, stuff like that doesn't make much sense to you.

And, as you get a bit older, and seasoned as a coyote hutner, you'll beging to realize that if you can make a few sounds well with a hand call, you can kill coyotes.

No matter what they tell you, what you drag out of the woods is more important than what you drag in,

Good Calling

Al

golfertrout

Al I'm by far not a seasoned coyote hunter but i am a seasoned hunter, i started hunting yotes last year and killed 3 using a hand call and have called in a bunch. i have also called in a bunch with my e caller, i have prob 10 hand calls, i understand not being able to see the sounds on remote but i use the 4 presets and usually dint look at remote just use the Braille system.  As far as the 200 sounds no u dont need that many but it is nice to have, just like having 100 mouth calls, do u need that many in the field?  no but its nice to have them. Maybe one day i will be a seasoned yote hunter like you but right now I'm just enjoying getting after them n hearing the howls n yips.  The yotes i killed last year i took two of my buddies that have never went yote hunting n i called prob 10 in and i shot 2 n my buddie shot one, my gun got jammed n i had 4 or 5 coming right towards me n here i am with a jammed gun, finally they went the other way, my buddie said he almost pissed his pants cause all of the yotes around us, he is hooked now.  I usualy hunt at night in West Virginia, where do you hunt?

FinsnFur

Lemme make sure I got this right?
...you had 10 coyotes running in at you...and five kept coming after shots fired?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

I hunt in New Hampshire and Vermont.

I'm by no means a seasoned coyote hunter.  I know my area, and how the coyotes and fox behave around me, but I would probably be a bit lost somewhere out west.

I have the number of hand calls I do not because I need them, but because call makers over the years have sent them to me as thanks for helping them get started in calling, or I knew the call maker and wanted one of his calls.

I have several dozen commercial calls for the simple reason that I use them to compare the calls I make too. 

I wont get into the E caller wars.  I think they will all call game animals.  We seem to forget that back in the day, they used 78 RPM records to call coyotes with LOL.  So if that will work, I am sure any brand of E caller on the market will work.   It comes down to how much money you can, or want, or are willing to spend, and on what you have seen a caller do in some cases.   I have hunted with a Bandit, Predation, Foxpro and WT caller.  The WT caller out called them all IN MY AREA.  It may not work in other places, and it has it's limitations, but for me it was what I felt would be the best caller for the type of hunting I sometimes do out of tree stands.  If I am hunting on the ground, I use hand calls, but I carry my Minaska and and speaker combo, as it fits in a pocket and is pretty versatile for when I want to make a really long stand and dont want to be blowing a call for 30 or 45 minutes. 

I was part poking fun and part being serious about the fox pro remote.  For someone who needs reading glasses, it is just too much of a hassle.  I can print my call list in BIG letters LOL.  Which helps when you are known to have left your glasses sitting on the ground at your last stand  :doh2:

Good calling

Al

coyotehunter_1

Quotei called prob 10 in and i shot 2 n my buddie shot one, my gun got jammed n i had 4 or 5 coming right towards me n here i am with a jammed gun, finally they went the other way, my buddie said he almost pissed his pants cause all of the yotes around us

:shck: Man... It's a wonder you all didn't get ate ! :whew:

Seriously, I can see it now.... it's too bad you didn't have someone like CCP or Kee's camera man around....
You could have made a bundle of $$$$$ from America's funniest home videos.  :wink: :biggrin: :laf:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Rich

I don't see a large problem with FoxPro's small print on the screen.  I simply put on my reading glasses while dialing in the sounds I want, place four sounds on individual presets and go calling. I don't need glasses to see the preset buttons.  Want different presets? Change your sounds before going to next stand location.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

THO Game Calls

Huh - didn't know you could do that.

Neat.

Al

possumal

As posted before, I don't have any trouble reading the TX-200 remote with my bifocals. That being said, it makes the sound list much easier to read if you renumber your sounds, starting with 001, 003, 005 and so on.  This puts a space between the sounds, making each easier to read.  It limits you to 100 sounds instead of 200, so it won't work for anyone who feels they need 200 sounds on board. Just another example of the versatility of the TX-200 remote.  The presets being simple to reset, including the volume, is a useful feature.  In addition, you can choose a particular sound and volume, while the caller is muted, and then choose another, and then you can use the recall button to switch back and forth between those two sounds.  So, in effect, you really have more presets than 4 to work with if you get familiar with the remote.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff