• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Anyone Reload .38/.357 Wadcutters ???

Started by ohiobob, July 23, 2007, 09:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiobob

Has anyone ever Loaded .38/.357 FULL wadcutters ??? I remember seeing them YEARS ago,,I got about 400 of them for free,, I need to know if they fit FLUSH with the Lip of the case AND do I need any certain Type of Seater Stem ???
I have the one that loads Jacketed Hollow Points,,on the Box it says 147 or 148 Grn. DEWC ,what the heck does
the D and The E stand for ??? and does anyone have a Load for this Bullet in either 38 Special or 357 Magnim ???
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

ohiobob

Damn
I thought at least 1 Person would have a little input on this,,where the heck is Ladobe when ya need him  :laf:
Bob

CCP

Bob I been slacken lately. :doh2:

Quotewhat the heck does
the D and The E stand for ???

Stands for Double ended wad cutters.

QuoteI need to know if they fit FLUSH with the Lip of the case AND do I need any certain Type of Seater Stem ???

Your standard seater will work. I seat mine out around 10 thousandths from the end of the brass. You can seat them flush or out farther.

I use 2.9gr Titegroup in the 38cal under a 158gr copper plated wadcutter. I plink with lead wadcutters and use the copper plated wadcutters loaded upside down for self defense rounds.

Here is a pick of my loaded self defense rounds.

Here is a
125g JSP
158g JHP
158g jacketed wadcutter
190g hardcast
158g jacketed wadcutter loaded

Sorry you had to wait so long :sad: Hope this helps

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

coyotehunter_1

Hey Bob,
Sorry, I some how missed your post....
The "DE" stands for double ended (the bullets are  the same at both ends so it doesn't matter which end goes into the brass.  On most (of what I have seen) there is no crimp ring, the bullet is usually seated flush with the case mouth. For most lead bullets, the case mouth will need to be flared just a little more than for jacketed bullets. This helps when seating the bullet (preventing the shearing of lead from the bullet's base). After seating, a light crimp is applied (to roll over the case mouth).

Unless the WC's are hard cast they may cause leading problems if you try to drive them at Jacketed bullet velocities. I have loaded DEWC's using the 38 Special brass but never in 357 brass. 

Do they look like this?

I think I still have a couple of  published data loads for the 148 gr. DEWC's in 38 Special.  I'll look them up and pm them to you if you want.

Edit: I was still typing while Rich was posting and did not see his reply...  Good post Rich !
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

CCP

Chet looks like we were typing at the same time. :confused:

Of course me being younger I beat you by a few. :roflmao:

Chet is correct I forgot you do need to bevel out that case mouth. I got some loaded 357 wadcutters here but will have to go through my notes to see whats in them.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

coyotehunter_1

QuoteChet looks like we were typing at the same time.

:laf:

Yep, it looks like we got Bob pretty well surrounded.  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

ohiobob

Rich & Chet
Thank you VERY MUCH for all the info,,Rich,,why do you load those Bullets backwards for self Defense ??? and what kind are they Exactly ??? My 2 Sons shoot .357 Mag Rounds out of the Revolver,,BUT the Wife shoots .38 Specials out of the
.357 Mag Revolver,,I shoot it every now and then  :biggrin:
Hell Last Sunday me and My youngest Son stuffed a BIG PILE of Phone Books and Magazines in a Box and wetted them down and shot some 38,,357 and 40 S&W rounds into them from about 10 Yards,,we needed a Bigger Box because we fired TO MANY rounds into the Books and Magazines because the Middle 5" - 6" was Confetti when we opened the Box but it started out we were only going to shoot 3 different types of bullets into it,,so about 6 Rounds,,but that turned into 13 Rounds and ALL of the Confetti  :biggrin: But I got to show him what was good and what was Bad in a Bullet,he loved it,so now he has told all of his friends to have their Moms to save all of their Phone Books,,I told him I wish I KNEW how to make that Ballistic Gelatin so we could use that instead of Phone Books,,BUT we had fun either way
But thank you 2 guys again for the info and help  :congrats:
Bob

CCP

Quotewhy do you load those Bullets backwards for self Defense ???

loading wad cutters upside down creates a very deep hollow point that quickly expands. It has the most stopping power for the low velocity of the .38. It expends all its energy rapidly without any over penetration. I choose .38 revolvers for my night stand defense guns. The reasons are they are dependable and you just pick it up and pull the trigger, recoil is very low for follow up shots. I also load them with titegroup powder because it takes very little powder to get me my max velocity andIt has very little muzzle flash.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net