• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Storing clips

Started by FinsnFur, August 19, 2009, 05:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahntr

Interesting post Jim, I actually thought the answers would go the other way.  :shrug:
Scott

HaMeR

My CZ American spring was so tight the spring would barely collapse enough to get the 4th rd  in. So I just loaded it full & left it set all winter whilst the groundhogs slept. She loads a bit easier now yet still feeds extremely smooth.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Quote from: HaMeR on August 21, 2009, 10:38:08 AM
My CZ American spring was so tight the spring would barely collapse enough to get the 4th rd  in. So I just loaded it full & left it set all winter whilst the groundhogs slept. She loads a bit easier now yet still feeds extremely smooth.

This would lead me to believe that there IS a change in spring tension when left fully compressed.   :whew:   Before the spring compression flames start, I did review quite a few different places and there doesn't seem to be a definite yes or no answer.  Some said that it depended on the type of material that was used to make the spring, etc.  There were some that felt "Yes" and others that felt "No" so I don't see it as a major problem.  I would say that everyone should just make up their own mind or buy a revolver so you don't have the magazine spring worry at all. 

Jerry

HaMeR

That by no means was a scientific approach or finding. The reason I tried it was on the advice from several posters on another Forum that own CZ Americans. It could very well be the spring material or even the spring style that CZ uses. At any rate it worked on that one clip for me & a few others had success with it as well. YMMV
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

I have 5 Wilson magazines for my 1911s.  I keep one fully loaded in the pistol and the others empty.  I rotate the fully loaded one every two months.  I have several other 1911 magazines.  I always keep one of them fully loaded as a spare close the pistol.  Rotate it as well.  My AR magazines also rotated.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Clip rotation. :wo:
That also leads me to believe your concerned about spring tension over time.

Definitely some interesting input here.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Jim,

Yes, I know the Wilson mag springs will loose some tension over time.  When I was shooting IDPA a lot I would buy new springs every couple of years for my match magaziines.  I also replaced the recoil spring in my 1911 every 5000 rounds or so.

Don't want any problems at a match or when someone is breaking down the door!!!

Jim

vvarmitr

Probably what will do the most damage to the magazine spring is loading & unloading as this causes fatigue in the metal.  Ever take a wire or strap of metal & bend it back & forth till it broke?
In my way of thinking, like Frogger said above, if you're shooting match & loading & unloading quite a bit then you'll loose spring tension.

Ever notice revolver shooters don't have so much crap to worry about? :shrug:

straycat

"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

FinsnFur

Whew!  :whew: I just got done reading that and now I'm late for work. That sucker was long :huh:

Nice article. It pretty much sums it all up.
But now I'm wondering if that's just the authors opinion, and I'm going to agree with him cause it's the last thing I read.
I think I'm getting paranoid :huh: :sad3:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Thanks for that link.  I learned something thanks to it and you straycat!!

Jim

KySongDog

Very nice article.  Thanks!