• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Distress Sounds

Started by FinsnFur, December 11, 2006, 10:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

**For the Predator Primer List**

If your willing to share what your distress sounds like on hand calls, posting them here in a simple wav format will give some of those learning to produce sounds, a better start.

Especially now that all "Jerry's Kids" got calls for Christmas.  :laf:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

sleddogg

Here is a link to my favorite calls. I made them with a Tweety, Tebbe, and Cronk howler.

Tweety   http://www.esnips.com//r/td/doc/42ec8f99-9f18-436c-9cd5-20428477f12b/rabbit.wav

Cronk Howler  http://www.esnips.com//r/td/doc/2499aa79-033d-4a93-bc40-ebd4d1e029f1/lonehowl.wav

Puppies on Cronk "Killer"  http://www.esnips.com//r/td/doc/4c9df6ee-11f4-4e79-826e-d9d03d7bf726/puppies.wav

Jackrabbit on Long range Tweety  http://www.esnips.com//r/td/doc/2f864938-87b5-4e2f-87d5-2a5ef39d3a29/jackrabbit.wav

All call preds, and are field proven. I am a believer in loud, short and calling with emotion. I hunt the forest, and just call 30 seconds very loudly, wait a couple minutes, the repeat. Most kills come in under 2 minutes, and odds go way down after the first couple series. Sound just doesn't carry that far in the thick forest, especially when trees have a good snow cover.

Here in the East its run and gun, covering as much ground as posible, in order to have a Coyote, cat or fox respond.

So don't be afraid to lay into those handcalls :wink:

keekee

QuoteHere in the East its run and gun, covering as much ground as possible, in order to have a Coyote, cat or fox respond.

Sorry dude! I just can not agree with this. This maybe true for you were you live in the east but not here. I have hunted allot of diffrent places here in the east, some produce with the run and gun but most don't. There are diffrent ways to look at things, what works for you in one area may not work for others in there areas.

If you cold call here in my area, your odds go WAY down. There just is not the coyote population here that will allow this type of calling, ya, you will get lucky and kill a few but you will be allot more productive if you make sure there are coyotes in the areas you are calling.

Even out west, if there is no sign, odds are there are no coyotes in the area. We drive the roads out there, find the tracks, scat and sign then call. Even out there cold calling a new area is a question. You just cant set down and call a coyotes at every tree. You haft to do some home work?

We cold call some here to, but we kill WAY more coyotes by doing a little home work first.

Thats just not a true statement for all over the east. In your area it may work for you but not everywere.

Brent

sleddogg

You couldn't wait to jump on me since we debated this on another forum. :rolleye:

Brent - Radio collared tracking have coyote AVERAGING 11 miles a day in the Northeast. Many farther. You can't tell where he will be. And to compound things, sound just doesn't carry here. I don't care who anyone is, I laugh at them "locating" Eastern coyotes.

Guess you never hunted the deep woods of Maine, Vermont or Massachusettes.

Brent, I'm not talking out my backend, as what makes you think I haven't spent years scouting and trying differnt tactics. Been ther done that!!!! I've spent 30 years callin', and scouted, located, and everywhere in between, and Brent, putting in as many stands as humanly possible kills more coyotes here.

Not many coyotes, big ranges, and thick timber make it a unique hunting oportunity. :wink: 

Peace and happy holidays, Sleddogg

fuzz624

Sleddog,just keep doing whatever works for you.I myself would rather locate where they are spending their days.Around here they seem to return to the same area during the daytime.It is proven that they cover a wide range,but i believe they do the most of it during the night.Everyone hunts a little different,but noone is right or wrong.As long as we enjoy ourselves then we are right.

sleddogg

QuoteSleddog,just keep doing whatever works for you.I myself would rather locate where they are spending their days.Around here they seem to return to the same area during the daytime.It is proven that they cover a wide range,but i believe they do the most of it during the night.Everyone hunts a little different,but noone is right or wrong.As long as we enjoy ourselves then we are right.

Yes Fuzz you are correct :wink:

Here is another one of my favorites, its a Tony Tebbe "Furball", and it does distress, howls, pups............ Here is a sample  http://www.esnips.com//r/td/doc/5b2b2fc0-ca56-4322-8271-493fa6eab127/furball.wav

stevecriner

Heres my favorites. Only ones i know  :biggrin:

Heres the link to all these sounds   
http://esnips.com/web/stevecrineroutdoors-sounds
Puppy whines 
Adult ky yi's 
jack black   
/doc/bird and rodent in dist.   
cottontail hoe down   
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

nailbender

Good stuff so far guys!  :congrats:  Hey Brent, how about singing a little blackbird for us?

keekee

QuoteYou couldn't wait to jump on me since we debated this on another forum

No, your wrong. Its not about the debate. Its about facts, and the fact is.....Not every area in the East is the same! Thats the part of the post you over looked! And it don't matter what board your on or were its posted not every tactic works in every area! And thats the part you are missing! :eyebrownod:

QuoteRadio collared tracking have coyote AVERAGING 11 miles a day in the Northeast. Many farther. You can't tell where he will be. And to compound things, sound just doesn't carry here. I don't care who anyone is, I laugh at them "locating" Eastern coyotes.

QuoteI laugh at them "locating" Eastern coyotes

I cant believe you made that statement! Thats just a joke! Even some of your best Western hunters locate coyotes! Not to mention people who hunt areas that have a low concentration of coyotes here in the east or west. Think of it this way. If you didn't have coyotes of a great population, and you hunted every day you were off from work for a year. And made 150 stands? And called no coyotes. Would you not give up? Some will! But if you locate and scout and find coyotes, and make 25 stands and kill a coyote then well, I guess things maybe diffrent?

Radio callard coyotes are not the coyotes we all hunt! And not all the Territory's are the same across the East. Territory's depend an all of things, population is #1.

So, you cant go by studies. Diffrent areas have diffrent rules. Good example.......If you have a area that don't have a high population of coyotes, and there are not Territory's that butt up against each other. Then the coyotes have no competition for food, no other rival coyotes, no set bounds that they are confined to, no compition for food, and this in return changes other things.....Litter size for example, how often they travel there area, how far they haft to travel for food and a ton of other things! And then it effects other things....Breeding, pup dispersal and several other things. Studies are fine, but they don't apply to all areas! And you can base years of hunting on what they say.

I can tell you this.....The coyotes here have large home range.....Talk to some of our trappers and see how many days between visits they get between there sets, when there is a snow on? I have.

And you refer to the Northeast...I don't live in the Northeast? That makes us in two diffrent parts of the east, right? So, how can you tell me how to call my eastern coyotes? Not all my area is solid woods, some areas I hunt are hardwoods for miles, some is not. The weather is diffrent, the terrain is diffrent, lots of things are diffrent....Right.....

QuoteGuess you never hunted the deep woods of Maine, Vermont or Massachusetts

Nope your right I have not....Thats my point! Have you hunted Ohio, KY, WV, INDY, GA, Fl, NC, NY, and more? Thats my point, that you don't get. I have hunted deep woods, in the spring, summer and fall and with a snow on. But facts are facts, I do not want to make 20 blank stands a day! If I make 20 stands in a day then I want to know I have been calling to coyotes. Or that I have been calling in a area that holds coyotes! And your right, sound does not travel as far in the woods as it does in the openThats why I want to make sure I have a good idea of were they coyotes are before I pick my stand. That way I have a good idea of were I am calling to, and .....I have a good idea of were the coyotes are going to approach from according to were I am calling to. If I am calling wood lots then ya, I can cold call, but I still haft to have a idea that there are coyotes in  the area I am calling. Same with big woods, crop lands, swamps, clear cuts or what ever.

QuoteI'm not talking out my backend, as what makes you think I haven't spent years scouting and trying different tactics. Been ther done that!!!! I've spent 30 years callin', and scouted, located, and everywhere in between, and Brent, putting in as many stands as humanly possible kills more coyotes here.

I'm not saying you have not spent 30 years doing whatever. All I am saying is that it works for you in your area based on allot of diffrent things, this does not mean that it will work for everyone in the east or that it will work for me or anyone else.....It works for you! So, fine, just say so.....It works best for me in my AREA in the East!

QuoteBrent, putting in as many stands as humanly possible kills more coyotes here

Point made! Read what you typed! HERE! In my area! You said that not me!

Quote, I'm not talking out my backend

Dude, I'm not saying you are! Thats the point you just don't see to get! Its your area, you hunt it! And you do well! FINE! But here is the point it does not apply to all the East or every area! Just were you are! Your area! And my help a ton of people in your area. But the biggest part of the east is just not that way! Not everyone calls big woods or has the coyotes population to col call!

QuoteNot many coyotes, big ranges, and thick timber make it a unique hunting opportunity

You said that not me, now just read what you wrote! NOT MANY COYOTES.....so, why would you not want to tip the scales in your favor and find them first? You haft to have some kind of idea that there are coyotes in that area?

I have read posts were you said the way to hunt predators in the east are for a tree stand?

A few questions, so educate me...............

Where do you hang that tree stand?

And why?....Is there sign there?, Tracks, some one tell you there were coyotes there?n Scat?

How did you know were to hang it? See Coyotes in Denning season?

Is it a travel lane? How do you know?

My point....................................

You haft to do some kind of scouting, not just a shot in the dark, you haft to have some kind of idea there are predators there? Even if someone told you they were there.

A shot in the dark or cold calling is just picking up a map and picking a road and saying I am calling there today! I sure hope there is a predator there? Most of the eastern areas just wont produce like that.......Just ask around! There are allot of eastern hunters around.

Done for now,
Brent

And happy holidays to you as well! Hope Santa brings you every thing you want! :wink:

keekee

Im going to put some sounds up. Just have not had the time to get them done yet. :sad: I will get them up though! :eyebrownod:

Brent

sleddogg

QuoteI'm not saying you have not spent 30 years doing whatever. All I am saying is that it works for you in your area based on allot of diffrent things, this does not mean that it will work for everyone in the east or that it will work for me or anyone else.....It works for you! So, fine, just say so.....It works best for me in my AREA in the East!

It works best for me in my AREA in the East!

Guess I'm just a REAL lucky Northeastern coyoteman :roflmao:

QuoteAnd happy holidays to you as well! Hope Santa brings you every thing you want!

I'd like to find a new handcall under my tree :wink:

canine

I would not waste my time or gas, runnin around cold calling all day long. I am a firm believer in scouting and knowing the coyotes in my areas. Snow is a major player in this part of the game, I will spend a whole day scouting areas out learning from the evidence left behind and learn from it. The are I hunt around home is diverse, rollin hills and hardwoods to flat croplands and wetlands. Everything around me looks coyote-ish, but.. some places they will not use. Why?  no idea, it's not like those areas are more human populated than others, honestly it has me puzzled. I learned this from scouting and will not waste my time in them areas. I will however listen for farmers talkin of there presence or get back in there and check for signs of life.

You can laugh all ya want about locating them, it sure helps me and I will try to explain.. Because, coyote populations in my area have grown and territory sizes have shrunk. Locating resident packs and knowing there core areas can give me somewhat of an Idea of there home range size. Thus helping me choose stand locations. I do not like to setup close to territory borders, where opposing packs try and avoid each other. Trying to coax them out of there comfort areas into these unsecure zones will put a coyote on edge, makin him twice as weary and uneasy for an approach. Also, as the years go by, alot of these ranges have changed. I have seen stands that have produced for a couple years go flat dead. Thats when it becomes time to reavaluate and find out what change took place.

Sorry to get off on a tangent and not follow the initial post. If I had a way to post some sounds I would but My computer doesn't have a microphone :shrug:

JD

sleddogg

OK, to get back on track, as I believe open reed handcalls are the best coyote tool I own, lets talk about how to make some sounds on the open reeds.

I'll start off with the pup, and maybe some other callmakers or handcallers can add to this or explain their methods for other sounds.

When making a pup call, I pick a small open reed call like a Verminator "Tweety" or a Critr Call "pee wee". As I start to blow on the call, I bite down on the reed nearest the end of the call for a high pitch. Reverse the hand control method from when making a cottontail, that is start with your hand open, and close it as you call. I try to keep an "ow ow" sound in my mind, and shoot for that. It takes a bit of practice, but the pup in distress calls coyotes well. Plus, biggest bobcat I ever shot CHARGED into a pup in distress. Great sound to practice, and well worth learning

Pup in distress   http://www.esnips.com//r/td/doc/4c9df6ee-11f4-4e79-826e-d9d03d7bf726/puppies.wav

stevecriner

Heres on e of my favorites from a nice call....The Black Bird in Distress  from KEE's.  Makes the kitten wonderfully.

http://esnips.com/doc/39eaef68-5b33-4468-bc18-80afda5af0fd/kitten-in-distress
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

keekee

Very nice sound Steve! :yoyo:

Brent

vvarmitr

WOW! Forget the distress calls this is the best hi-jacked thread I've read in a while. :highclap:
Two of my most repected coyote hunters haveing a grand discussion on their tactics. And I was there. :biggrin:
Sorry guys if I made ya blush & your hats get tight . :huh: ... :laf:

yotefever

Brent, what call do you use for the bird sounds?

Thanks,
Mike
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"

keekee

Some are done on my closed reed bird distress call, some on the Black Bird distress call and on on the AP - 6.

Brent