• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Painful boring surgery recovery

Started by Okanagan, May 16, 2013, 12:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Had elbow surgery Tues morning,  ulnar nerve relief.  I crushed my ulnar nerve last Sept so pinkie & ring fingers & lower side of left hand & arm feel numb, with weak, uncoordinated use of hand.  Less pain than predicted but feel lousy.  Should get most of hand function back, or at least stop it from getting worse.

Bored, in pain, needing sympathy & someone to coo & bring me cold drinks.  :biggrin:  Wife knows that role well, and doesn't roll her eyes too much.   :huh:   :alscalls:

They cut several inches in a line along back of elbow and skinned that loose around the inside of the arm/elbow.  Then they cut the ulnar nerve free from where it runs at the back of the elbow and moved it to the inside of the elbow.  The surgeon told me that she buried it in muscle to protect it and then put the flap back over and stitched it at the back.  I'da liked to watch but was out with general anesthetic.  The idea is that it is a shorter distance via the inside of the elbow turn, with less stress and stretch on the nerve.

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

gravesco hunter

JohnP

That hurts just reading about it.  Hope you have a speedy recovery.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Sorry to hear that you are in pain, numb, and bored.  If I were closer I would be glad to come over and drink your cold drinks for with you.  Hang in there and I hope you get feeling better real soon.

Jerry

KySongDog

Hope you recover quickly, Okanagan.   If it is anything like rotator cuff surgery, I know the pain you are feeling.   Be sure to do all of the physical therapy.   You'll be back in shape a lot sooner.   

FinsnFur

Not fun. You wont see that on my bucket list. :nono:
My Papa  :eyebrownod:  had an elbow replaced with a nylon one. I hated seeing him go through it, but now he shows it off. :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Thank you for the sympathy, Pat, and for all the concerns expressed.  Joking aside, it does make me feel better. 

Jim, replacing an elbow sounds much worse.  No thanks.  On mine they just rerouted the wires.

This week was to be the usual camp out with a scattered group of friends where we hunt bears, fish, cook and tell yarns.  Grandson Code joined me on that last year for his big bear hunt.   A few days ago they bumped it till a week or so later but it is not likely for me to make it.  I've posted stuff from that trip each spring for the past three or four years.

FOsteology

Doesn't sound like something I'd want to go through. Heal up quick as hunting season is just around the corner.

Okanagan

First photo taken this morning, fourth day after surgery.  It has turned a lot blacker by tonight, plus some green, but is starting to itch which indicates healing.  The cut is a little more inside the elbow than I expected but a much better place for healing without pulling the seam loose.

Second photo taken on third day, when bandages came off.  They stitched it up like an autopsy on a cadaver!  Guess they didn't worry about cosmetic scars on the elbow of an old coot like they would on the face of a youngster. 

FinsnFur

Clyde that just hurts to look at :doh2: Hows it feeling?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 19, 2013, 07:38:32 AM
Clyde that just hurts to look at :doh2: Hows it feeling?

Surprisingly it has not hurt all that much, not anything like the doc predicted, though it is tender to touch or bend the elbow.  General lousy feeling that is getting better.  This morning the incision is really starting to itch.   I've nested up with the injured part resting on pillows above heart level, and read a pile of books.  It is annoying to read a thick paperback using only one hand!  The arm has to be ready to fish for big pike come June 10 in Saskatchewan.   :yoyo:  I can tell I'm feeling better because this morning I was mentally trying out whether I can use the arm yet to reload ammo and prep a flyline and backing for big pike (and get that done during sick leave!)

It has been a "poor me" thread but your expressions have been generous, good for me and much appreciated.

Hawks Feather

I really hate to say this, but that is just ugly.

Glad that it doesn't hurt as bad as it looks.

Now, doesn't that make you feel better?

Jerry

HaMeR

It sure looks a bit ugly but I do hope it fixes what was ailing you!!!!!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  Get Well Soon!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Betcha wish you'da learnt to drink with the left hand now dontcha??  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11