• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Getting that time!

Started by nastygunz, April 03, 2022, 07:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

That double ended striker was made by the legendary turkey call maker HaMer! :yoyo:

FinsnFur

What do you got going on here?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Thems turkey calls, meaning spring turkey season is acoming.

bambam

Nice calls Nasty. I really like the look of that Heart breaker. Love a good box call. My first hunt will be this Saturday, Lord willing. Good luck out there, hope you get a longbeard.

FinsnFur

Those horns caught me off guard. When I see one of those I'm thinking coyote holler. I've never seen a trumpet put inside one of them that is a hell of an idea.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Your first turkey hunt ever? Good luck!

Quote from: bambam on April 05, 2022, 07:44:30 PM
Nice calls Nasty. I really like the look of that Heart breaker. Love a good box call. My first hunt will be this Saturday, Lord willing. Good luck out there, hope you get a longbeard.

bigben

I just picked up a new slate call the other week at district 8 trappers flea.  Speaking of slate calls anyone see them 300$ suckers meateater is pimpin?  I also picked up a wolfe gobble tube that the latex is shot on.  Currently trying to make new reeds with latex gloves that are hard to find as everyone has went to nitrel

The horn is a cool idea.  Im guessing they are like a wing bone yelper? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

Pretty much the same as a wing bone yelper. out of all the box calls that I own I will tell you the one that I have killed the most turkeys with and usually only bring it when I'm turkey hunting, is a Primos Box Cutter!

that thing flat out hauls them in. I like it so much I bought two extra ones just in case they ever discontinue it.

Most out the time that's the only call I taken the woods with me now.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Primos-Box-Cutter-Box-Turkey-Call

Quote from: bigben on April 06, 2022, 08:03:20 AM
I just picked up a new slate call the other week at district 8 trappers flea.  Speaking of slate calls anyone see them 300$ suckers meateater is pimpin?  I also picked up a wolfe gobble tube that the latex is shot on.  Currently trying to make new reeds with latex gloves that are hard to find as everyone has went to nitrel

The horn is a cool idea.  Im guessing they are like a wing bone yelper?

bigben

I didnt have very many turkey calls in the past.  I had a combo glass over slate where you could use the slate on the back of the pot as well.  as well as a custom rohm brothers box call that a buddy whos married to the ones daughter has engraved for me.  I picked up a copper call last year from a friend from high school that started making calls years ago.  has a real deep tone and is something different.  I ended up calling the jake I killed last year in with it.  but the birds I called in for my dad was done with the slate side of that other call.  So I picked up a woodhaven cherry slate call back at xmas with a gift card.  Then the other week when I seen the zebrawood one I had to have it as well.  I did make a wing bone yelper the other month but couldn't make a good sound out of it.  the plan was to give the first one to a buddy who called the first bird I ever killed in since he also provided both sets of wing bones.  He got it the other week.  he just got back from texas after having a rough time filling a turkey tag down there.  I hope to hear he uses it this spring. 

In all honest I have done better with scratchin leaves with a light purr and a cluck or a yelp at the end.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

Scratchin leaves is simple but deadly. Before I settle in I always grab a branch and use it to scratch the leaves. I have had a lot of birds over the years who hang up on calling but come right in when they hear you scratching around in the leaves. I also have this call that I use for close up, in slate glass aluminum and acrylic, I have never seen another hunter with one kind of unusual:

bambam

Quote from: nastygunz on April 05, 2022, 10:17:32 PM
Your first turkey hunt ever? Good luck!

Quote from: bambam on April 05, 2022, 07:44:30 PM

No, first of the year. Went to North Carolina and hunted with my brother.  I got lucky. 2 gobblers in 2 days. One had an 11 inch beard and 1 3/8 inch spurs. Second had 11 1/4 inch beard and 1 1/8 inch spurs . 2 of my best ever. My brother saw gobblers but couldn't a shot. Hope he invites me back !   :wo:

nastygunz

Dang! sounds like a good trip!