• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Wasting some time.

Started by pitw, December 16, 2010, 08:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Felt like wasting time today so I smoked up 42lbs of bacon.  First out was 30lbs done with apple and maple.

Looks not bad.

Gotta like when you see the brine has soaked all the way through.

Pretty fair chunk of pork belly cured and smoked.

First batch wrapped.

Second batch had straight maple and one slab smoked extra.

I also tried one piece with sugar added to the brine and I'll let you know if it is any good. :readthis:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Jeb

That does look mighty tasty !!!  :yoyo:
                  Jeb

Bills Custom Calls

How is that wasting time looks like the freezer is filling up fast  :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Todd Rahm

Man that looks good and ya even drink Canada Dry Ginger Ale why ya do it?  :alscalls:

pitw

Quote from: Todd Rahm on December 16, 2010, 08:24:51 PM
Man that looks good and ya even drink Canada Dry Ginger Ale why ya do it?  :alscalls:

Yeah Todd I felt the need for a change :biggrin:.  In case anyone is interested we also put a can of that particular pop in the roaster when we cook a ham.  It sweetens it some and really enhances the flavor.

alscalls

Mmmmmmm That looks like some good Canadian bacon........... !     :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Bobby's on facebook back there  :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Scott

KySongDog

Looks real good and probably tastes better.   And I'll bet its cheaper than the $4.00 pound store bought stuff we got down here.   :argh:

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 16, 2010, 09:48:31 PM
Bobby's on facebook back there  :alscalls:

Nope, rolling pennies :biggrin:

Semp I'll let you be the judge on price as I'll give you a pound if you drive up for it :innocentwhistle:.  Your question made me chuckle as I asked the wife what it cost a pound and she  :shrug:.  She knows the price of everything but meat as she never has to go to to that section of a supermarket. :laf: :laf:.

KySongDog

Actually, that wasn't a fair comparison.  That stuff we get in the stores is factory processed with gawd knows what kind of additives in it.   :argh:    I can guarantee yours is much better even if it costs $15 a pound. 

By the time I drove up there and back I'd have $1,000 a pound in it.   :laf:

golfertrout

mmmmm  looks good Barry, see your still drinking your coke :yoyo:

pitw

Quote from: Semp on December 17, 2010, 05:30:40 AM

By the time I drove up there and back I'd have $1,000 a pound in it.   :laf:

OK, OK, I'll even throw in the cooking of it and a room for a few days to make it cheaper :laf: :laf:.  Funny you should mention the additives and such changing taste, when I took the boys fishing this fall I had Mandy pick me up some precut bacon in town to take along.  When I cooked breakfast the first morning Donny takes a bite, makes a face and says, "Where'd this crap come from". :eyebrownod:

Carolina Coyote

I would love to have a slab of that for breakfast, I also see someone has been by the Golden Arches was that to pickup a MacBurger? cc

pitw

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on December 17, 2010, 07:59:01 AM
I would love to have a slab of that for breakfast, I also see someone has been by the Golden Arches was that to pickup a MacBurger? cc

Same deal as I gave Semp Carl :laf: :laf:.  The BigM cup came from my father who taught me the art of being cheap, he had nails in it when he gave it to me and I just started throwing pennies in it. :shrug:  I do eat the sausage and egg mcmuffin but that is the only thing I get from that place.

Dave

Whew, the power of a picture.  I've gotta have some bacon, and now. 

alscalls

To bad ya dont ship..........  I take trades......... :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FOsteology

Slabs of bacon looks real good! Got any pictures of the smoking process?

pitw

Quote from: FOsteology on December 17, 2010, 06:36:04 PM
Slabs of bacon looks real good! Got any pictures of the smoking process?

Sorry Fos but due to the fact there are some unsavory types on the net who may report what they see on here to the authority's I never put up pics of me smoking :rolleye:.  Also I'd hate for to have to worry about you hurting yourself from the rolling on the floor laughing at what you saw thingy too :biggrin:.
   On a good note however the bacon turned out as good as any we have ever made and I will truthfully say I've never had better commercially done :nono:.  Later we'll try the sugar added to the brine stuff for a comparison :shrug:.

pitw

Well, we tried the bacon with the sugar added to the brine and as near as I could tell the only difference was it was saltier :confused:.  Do you suppose the sugar helped the uptake of salt?  Everything else was the same so I don't think I'll do it that way again.