• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

High water...freeze...low water

Started by FinsnFur, February 04, 2017, 07:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

What a mess the river been up here this winter. Flood stage, then freezing. Then dropping again.
Some my ice fishing spots have been impossible to get to.
It is however leaving some very interesting landscape.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

I bet that big old hollow tree is stuffed full of raccoons!

Okanagan

Never saw a flooded forest freeze like that.  Our river bottom forest floods with high water in late spring and I enjoy kayaking though the trees, but that is always warm weather. 

FinsnFur

Those pics did not do what I wanted them to do. The trees all had what appeared to be a mound under them. And it was a good foot above the surrounding ice levels.
I'm sure it was from the ice clinging to the trees as the water dropped. The ice touching the trees stayed where it was and the surrounding ice tilted downward as the water dropped. Then it all got wet and froze again. Leaving a perfectly sloped and rounded mound at the base of the trees.
It was absolutely impossible to tell where the road ended and the river began. All impossible to drive on. We hiked in and this is what we saw. It was soooo surreal it was almost spooky looking.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

When I was a kid I walked out on something that looked like that and about 10 feet from the edge it broke.  Not a good time.

Jerry

slagmaker

There is an old wise tale about if the river floods and freezes then the water goes down. The river will flood gain to reclaim the ice it left behind. Not sure how true it is but I have seen that type of flooding happen along the Patoka river several times.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.