• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Smoked salmon

Started by Tikaani, July 30, 2011, 03:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

It is a slow day and as the rain continues here, We began the process of smoking salmon and thought some may be interested in how Dian and I go about it.

I usually take the head and guts off when cleaning, I wrap and freeze like this as it helps prevent freezer burn.

Fillet, cutting down the spine

Cut in to strips starting at the head

Using the black hash marks on the cutting board I cut the strips so they will fit in a pint jar when ready for canning

Nine salmon ready for the brine bucket

Brine ingredients, for five to six salmon is 2 cups pickling salt, 1 pound brown sugar, 1 gallon water.  Heaping tablespoon of garlic is optional

Soak in brine for five hours.

Once out of the brine, set on smoke racks, we hand grind fresh pepper over them and let set over night so the salmon gets tacky and glazed.  If salmon is to be canned I only smoke for two hours and keep it under 120 degrees, any higher or longer tends to dry out the salmon, the canning process at 12 pounds for 90 minutes will kill any bacteria.  If we are going to vacuum pack, I smoke for 5-6 hours, bringing the smoker up to 150 degrees for 30 minutes to kill any bacteria.  When canning we place a couple of jalapeno slices and olive oil in the jars.

Any thing left from filleting and stripping goes in to a 5 gallon bucket and is sealed, set behind the shed and will be brought to the bear stand next spring as a attractant to bring in bears.

This process is then repeated about 4-5 times and gives us enough canned salmon for the winter.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

FinsnFur

I loved smoked Salmon :eyebrownod:
Those are some beautiful looking fillets too.

I'm surprised to see the skin still on them, do you always do it that way?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Tikaani

I should have mentioned that, yes sometimes it comes off when removed from the smoke racks but generally we like the skin on.  It can be removed though, (a lot more work) it is a personal choice Jim.

Hawks Feather

Sure looks good and I am sure that it will be.

Jerry

Todd Rahm

I'm munching on some smoked reds as I read John.  :biggrin: My buddy just built an out house sized smoker for his wife and they cold smoke it for 5 days. Good stuff. To be honest though, I haven't tried a smoked salmon I didn't like.  :biggrin:

iahntr

MMMmmm I can almost taste it.

now add a little pilot bread and some goober,,   aahhhh the memories !  :biggrin:
Scott

Tikaani

You just don't forget pilot bread and goober, moose camp just would not be the same without it,   :eyebrownod:

HuntnCarve

Looks Great John!  Heck, your scrap bucket looks good from here. :laf:

FOsteology

Where's pictures of the end results????

Love that deep red color on the salmon.

Tikaani

In the smoker as you wrote that FOs.

coyote101

Man that looks good. What kind of smoker do you use John?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing